• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The mulepack - Great tripod carrier! (1 Viewer)

kristoffer

Used Register
First, I have no affiliation with any store or brand. I just feel that have to share this info, I´m sure more then me would like to have this info.

I have hurt my shoulders alot recently by carring my tripod. I always thought that this problem was impossible to avoid, if you wanted fast access to the to scope/tripod.

Then I found the Mulepack and decided to give it a shot. Cleyspy sent it to Sweden with an amazing speed, I got it like two days after I placed the order, great service. Anyway, I read the instructions and mounted my tripod on it. I remained sceptic but gave it a shot the following day. And it worked, it worked very well! It fits very well to both of my tripods, and it is so easy to take it off and start birding, and put it back on. Moreover the rucksack has got room for water, my camera and more stuff. So now I can bicykle, walk and spend hours with my tripod with worring about if this excursion is worth my scope, considering the shoulder ache it will cause me.

Naturally any similar/brand rucksack with tripod carrying capability can work just as good, but this is the only one I have tried.

I agree Kris and I also use it on a bike sometimes. It's well designed and very comfortable, easy on the back. :t: Like you, I have no connection with Cley Spy or any other company.

Agreed. I got one from HE2 of BF fame, and I love it. It is a seriously good piece of kit. The only time I take it off is seawatching in high winds, when it can act as a "sail" and cause the scope to vibrate, or worse, possibly fall over. But this isn´t a problem because when seawatching, by definition, you don´t need to go walkabout with the scope.

The Scopac's good too, in fact IMHO more robust. I have both, and the stitching is beginning to go on my Mulepack.

Sean

The Scopac's good too, in fact IMHO more robust. I have both, and the stitching is beginning to go on my Mulepack.

Sean

The stitching is failing on my Mulepak (on the base of the shoulder strap) and has been for about a year BUT it is still patent :t: It will no doubt give fairly soon but the Mulepack has given excellent service. One of the best things I have bought :t:

Another Sco-pac user here, I just missed out on Helen's Mulepak to Sancho.
I never take the thing off my scope, got into the habit of setting the scope with the pak parallel to the wind and keeping the tripod low so less affected by the blow.

The Scopac's good too, in fact IMHO more robust. I have both, and the stitching is beginning to go on my Mulepack.Sean

That's very interesting Sean coz I've found there to be one weakness in the Scopac which makes it far less robust than the Mulepac. Where the pack bit joins the back webbing - at the apex of the triangle, for want of an easier way to describe it! - where the plastic toggle thingy goes through a loop to attach it to the 'back' bit, that plastic toggle is very weak.

Almost the whole weight of what you're carrying hangs on that thin plastic toggle. The velcro strips attaching it to the webbing back bit at the bottom take some of the weight but the 'pull' is mostly on that top bit and it's just not strong enough. Mine lasted a few months before snapping and I've now got it trussed up with wire, which fortunately has lasted. So how's your toggle Sean?!!

The fact that the Scopac can come with side pockets to carry water bottles, plus whatever you put inside, can make for a bit of weight. So the more convential rucksack type 'clips' on the Mulepac are much tougher. But I'm interested in what you say about the stitching being weak.

I'm tempted when the time comes to replace to go with a Mulepac.

Irene

Interesting with another good option, im sure both have their benefits. Considering how often I hear people complain about shoulder ache due to tripod/scope, these products should be more advertised, atleast in Sweden.

avoid the viking tripod carrier!

Currently use a Mulepack. Good piece of kick! Well made. about 18 months old - has taken a fair amount of stick! Prior to the mulepack used a viking carrier prior to the mulepack - not impressed! Broke three in four months. Build quality poor, plastics weak , stiching frail - one to avoid!! Or perhaps I just got three pups!!

Others experiences of the viking carrier would be welcomed!!B :)

Looks promising.....has anyone used these with DSLR camera gear?

My current gear is a 20D and a 400/5.6, but I'm saving for a 500/4 so if that could be carried conveniently that would be a bonus.

Today I took delivery of a Mulepack for my tripod and ATS65HD. What a fantastic piece of kit it is. The tripod and scope feel practically weightless on my back! Brilliant - and although I've no experience of it in the field - well worth the cash.

It´s that good. It has done wonders for my back and shoulders. Carrying my setup around now almost feels weightless. Before the mulepack I had ache when I got home from a day of birding.

Today I took delivery of a Mulepack for my tripod and ATS65HD. What a fantastic piece of kit it is. The tripod and scope feel practically weightless on my back! Brilliant - and although I've no experience of it in the field - well worth the cash.

My biggest criticism of the Mulepack is that it rather made my ED50 redundant.;)

(By which I mean, for long days out, I tended to take the ED50 and light tripod when possible, but when I got a mulepack, it became just as easy to carry my full-size scope and tripod on my back.)

My only criticism is that the straps are a bit too short. I have a large frame, accentuated by extra clothing in winter, and struggle to get it on and off. But once it is on, it is great!

OK so ive bought one. It arrived today and i have only just had a look at it. First impression is it has a fair bit of storage (pockets etc) that i wasn't expecting and the straps look like it will be a comfy fit. First try out will be this weekend so will post my thoughts then....Sancho i bought it because of your recommendation LOL so i expect it to be superb.....

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back