• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First trip abroad with the MM3 60 (2 Viewers)

Gzoladz74

The MM3 60 (first gen) was my first scope (later I got a 2H HRHAED80). As I am a binocs person I had never taken any scope to a trip abroad, I just did not want the hassle.

A few weeks ago I went for a few days to Extremadura and I decided to take it. To fit it in my carry on was much easier that I thought it would be, in particular with the eyepiece removed.

The tripod I took was the Velbon Ultra 655 (now discontinued) which when folded (and with the head removed) it also fits in the carry on bag (I also have the Velbon Ultra 355, which I have used with the MM3 60 occasionally, but it is much lighter and I don't know if it would have survived the trip). I was actually very pleased with this compact set.

First one for me, really happy with how it all worked out.

The MM3 60 (first gen) was my first scope (later I got a 2H HRHAED80). As I am a binocs person I had never taken any scope to a trip abroad, I just did not want the hassle.

A few weeks ago I went for a few days to Extremadura and I decided to take it. To fit it in my carry on was much easier that I thought it would be, in particular with the eyepiece removed.

The tripod I took was the Velbon Ultra 655 (now discontinued) which when folded (and with the head removed) it also fits in the carry on bag (I also have the Velbon Ultra 355, which I have used with the MM3 60 occasionally, but it is much lighter and I don't know if it would have survived the trip). I was actually very pleased with this compact set.

First one for me, really happy with how it all worked out.
Lovely! Same experience I had: lovely, good viewing, light carry.
Then someone "tricked" me into buying an ATC...
Still happy, but the MM3 doesn't get used as much!

I have been playing with the idea of getting an alpha scope for some time, as I did that with the binocs years ago and never regretted it (Zeiss SF)...but as much as I like them when I need them, I find them VERY tedious to carry, so I can't get "motivated enough" to buy one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back