• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Naturalist Series (1 Viewer)

WHIMBREL

A lifelong Naturalist...
Has anybody purchased the more recent titles of the hardcover version's of Collin's New Naturalist Series, such as:- Northumberland, Fungi, Gower or Galloway and the Borders.

If so have the Dust Wrappers/Covers shown any signs of 'mottling' or any type of 'speckled' appearance that's most noticeable in the grey clouds, but also apparent in some other colours.

I would greatly appreciate all or any feedback from fellow Birdforum users if they can help on this subject.

With Thanks,

Bill

I bought Fungi as soon as it came out and it's still perfect.

Tom,

Thank you for the prompt response - it is the Hardcover version you bought rather than the Softcover?

If it is the Hardcover would you take another look for the 'mottled' effect on the main tan/brownish coloured title band and also the NN logo on the spine.

Are there other Birdforum users out there that can give me any further info?

My Thanks,

Bill

It's the hardcover. I've checked the title bands and there is paler mottling towards the top edge of the band, but I have a suspicion that it was always there? I know that there were problems in the way Collins packaged them when sending them out to sellers because they were stacked side by side in the boxes and some of the ink/colour from the wrappers stained the page edges of the book next to it, which ultimately stems from their odd choice of not laminating the wrappers! So double check the page edges if you're buying it.

It's the hardcover. I've checked the title bands and there is paler mottling towards the top edge of the band, but I have a suspicion that it was always there? I know that there were problems in the way Collins packaged them when sending them out to sellers because they were stacked side by side in the boxes and some of the ink/colour from the wrappers stained the page edges of the book next to it, which ultimately stems from their odd choice of not laminating the wrappers! So double check the page edges if you're buying it.

Tom,

Once again my thanks, I've been collecting the New Naturalist series for more than 10 years now (to read and for Reference - I'm not a collector) but I feel that the quality of the Dust Wrapper printing (not Robert Gillmor's wonderful artwork) is no longer up to the quality of earlier titles.

From book No 95 Northumberland onwards I've noticed the 'mottled' effect previously described on several titles, and No 99 Gower and No 101 Galloway and the Borders are poor examples of the printers art. It detracts from the historical value of these wonderful books - perhaps the series editors will look into it.

With Best Wishes,

Bill

PS. I too bought Fungi when it came out, but luckily apart from some 'mottle' on the title band the book has none of the other problems you warn about.

Last edited:
Reply received from Collins Editorial Director on the Dust Wrappers/Jacket
'mottling'.

"Since Fungi No96 we have gone back to the similar look and feel for the jackets as the original volumes"

So we now know the printing process has changed, for better or worse....

Regards,

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back