• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review of new Explorer WA ED-R 8x32 (1 Viewer)

Hello Lee,

Thanks for the review. I am happy that you pointed out how much utility might be had from a relatively inexpensive binocular. That is not to write that more expensive binoculars are a waste but that the utility of lower priced optics should not be understated.

Stay safe,
Arthur

I'm saving up for a Traveller 8x32 myself having decided that my eyes aren't good enough to justify the 5 or 10% improvement that comes with straying into the £800+ per pair bino range! I enjoy nature and even a £100 pair of binos work most of the time, its only as you push the envelope into areas such as twilight birding that the extra money really starts to make a difference. I will admit I do like the feel of expensive bits of kit though

I'm saving up for a Traveller 8x32 myself having decided that my eyes aren't good enough to justify the 5 or 10% improvement that comes with straying into the £800+ per pair bino range! I enjoy nature and even a £100 pair of binos work most of the time, its only as you push the envelope into areas such as twilight birding that the extra money really starts to make a difference. I will admit I do like the feel of expensive bits of kit though

Hello Stephen,

There is a price point where inexpensive becomes cheap. I would guess that that point is a little shy of two hundred quid.
Yes the feel of expensive bits of kit is commendable. This is a benefit beyond optics. Even if one cannot make use of the marginal optical improvement, one can appreciate the well made mechanics and durability of those binoculars costing rather more than eight hundred quid.

Stay safe,
Arthur

I think you will be very happy with a Traveller 8x32 Stephen.

Good luck.

Lee

I think you will be very happy with a Traveller 8x32 Stephen.

Good luck.

Lee

Thank you, I did try a pair at a local branch of LCC a while back (pre-COVID obviously) and had planned to attend an Opticron field event to check out firther, but this never happened, and obviously will be unlikely to be able to field test a pair for a while. The felt very nice and seemed nice and sharp. Couldn't justify spending that much at the time though

Hi David

I haven't tried previous verysions of Explorer but this one renders white clearly and beautifully white. And to make sure I just checked it out.

Lee

Thanks, that's good to know. Appreciate your checking. I am not sure if I used the term "white balance" correctly for a binocular. That is the term coming from photography. I think for binoculars some people use the description "color tint," or warm/cool/neutral. If white is rendered without a tint, then I think you would describe the Explorer as "neutral" color tint?

Last edited:
Thanks for the review Lee. I have just got myself a pair. Great binos. I was surprised how good they performed in low light. I have compared them with other highend binos and could not see a big enough difference to justify paying 3x or 4x times the price. I was initially going for the Traveller 8x32 but when comparing them side by side at the store, I found the Explorer sharper in the center. The Explorer has a more immersive view than the Traveller. The Traveller has a slightly larger sweet spot to the detriment of having a flattened image. Some people might prefer that. I have also bought some Eyeshields, the standard size, they fit nicely and improve viewing significantly.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back