• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon help please. (1 Viewer)

stevo

Hi folks.

I have a 1Dmkiii it is one of the last produced therefore it had the fix done to it.Right the problem is using one shot,centre focus point or top focus point the focus confirmation point lights solid green.I take the photo now the images were taken at 1/4000 at f5.6 non of the images are in focus.To add i'm using the canon 300mm f4l is with a kenko 1.4dgx,all images taken on a bright sunny day I don't have any images to show but that's the just of things,i'm puzzled.

Cheers.

Steve.B :)

Do you have access to a Canon extender? Might be worth a try, at worst you will be able to rule out one part of the equation. Does it focus OK without the extender?

Focus is the same without the extender,although it does not hunt as much.I don't have a canon extender unfortunately thanks for the reply john.

Steve.

Have you given the contacts on both lens and body a good clean? Lots of people recommend an eraser but I have read somewhere this can damage the contacts so have used a microfibre cloth with a little glasses cleaning cleaner (bought at Specsavers) sprayed on the cloth not the contacts directly. Just a thought but I had a focussing problem once and this sorted it.

Thanks all for the replies & suggestions,today I used another lens on the 1dmkiii namely the canon 400mm 5.6l.Same settings used ie one shot.Here's the result.

Cheers.

Steve.:t:B :)

Attachments

• blue-tit1-2015 copy [].jpg
    blue-tit1-2015 copy [].jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 124
Your shot with the EF 400 F/5.6L looks OK to me; what's it like with just the EF 300 F/4L IS? It's not clear to me whether this is a long standing problem, or whether it's just started with your 300mm lens and the 1.4x extender?
I don't understand the hunting, but that normally suggests that you need a wider aperture. How does your 1D Mk III work with shorter lenses? Is that OK, and have you optimised the AF-MA settings? Any chance that your camera is remembering AF-MA settings for an earlier lens/extender combo? The 1D MKIII doesn't remember lens serial numbers.

Hi Malcolm the 300mm lens on it's own still hunts but not as much as with a converter on,it seems to be a recent problem.I did notice yesterday that when mounting the 400mm to the mk3 that after rotating the lens & hearing the normal click sound upon turning the camera on it did not register the aperture just gave me 2 "00".Remounted it and back to normal,so i'll clean the camera contacts.As for AF-MA settings I have not done any adjustments nor are there any registered in the camera.I don't have any smaller lenses to try,i've just ordered the canon mk2 extender 1.4x,so will try that on the camera with the 300mm etc.I thinks personally it's dirty contacts giving a communication problem.

Thanks for replying Malcolm.

Steve.

hmmmmm have you tried it to see if its doing this in AI servo as well .,though it does initially sound like dirty contacts .
its a case of elimination really .if your taking shots at 1/4000th of a sec as well i presume its birds the question then springs to mind why are you using one shot as the slightest movement of the bird/wind user movement etc will throw that focus right out of the window .Ai servo is designed to compensate for those slight movement so i can only suggest you try that more .
when i have used one shot on birds etc the focus points do tend to jump around till it picks up the point it thinks is right .i will also hazard a guess that you have expanded point switched on which ties in with the last statement

Hi black fox,I havn't tried using AI servo simply because I find it hit and miss and that goes for any canon dslr i've used I will try though.I have expanded AF points switched on as well,I will know better when I try the canon extender as i'm still leaning towards a problem with the contacts on the kenko converter.

Thanks.

Steve.

I suggest that you have a look through my FLICKR stream ,virtually all shots from either my 1d3 or 70d have been taken using AI servo ,no exif is hidden .and although there may be a problem with the kenko t.c just by your previous comment ( with all due respect intended) I think your problem lies in not fully understanding how or why your camera functions .the 1d3 is a extremely sensitive bit of kit that was years ahead of its time and can still hold its own against far newer cameras if used properly ,.have you for instance ever put it into AI servo then used the ring of fire for b.i.f

Hi Black fox ,no I have not tried the ring of fire af with AI servo this camera for me is a step up from using the 50D.I previously used sigma lenses and had the chance to upgrade my kit.In hindsight I probably need to practice more which is limited at the moment due to a health problem.
Thanks for your replies they've been helpful.

Steve.

no problem steve ,its a beast of a camera and while still basic besides some of todays cameras it does need to be set up properly for what we use it for .if you need further help with settings etc just send me a p.m .and i'll send my phone number and talk you through it and explain the reasons why things have to be set .
yes its a massive step up from a 50d and sigma lenses and that really confirms my initial thoughts that it was camera set up and user error ,nothing to worry about we have all been there LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back