• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon vs Kite stabilized binoculars (3 Viewers)

The resolution of a good 14x IS binocular is probably double that of a hand held 12x50 non IS binocular in the real world.

Being used 15x56 binoculars since many years, recently I purchased a Canon 18x50: - didn't bought the 15x50 since the 18x could be relevant to increase the reach of reading nasal saddles of my marked ducks but also to "justify" the purchase of another binocular... ;)
Having used it few times until now, it already gained it's place: - it proved my expectations reading duck codes within a study area but it changed already my way of birding. Never will forget a moment when an Elanus caeruleus was hovering at a close distance from a hide and I could see all details of the bird, including it closing and opening the toes - those details would be impossible to notice with the 15x56 binoculars hand-held - and it looks like I was seeing a 4K film in a big TV but with all immersion that only true optics allow!...

David,

Welcome to the club. You will have many more moments such as the one with the Elanus C.
I have been using Eneloops on my Canon for years, and don't think there is any drawbacks to them. Lithium batteries are even better, but a more expensive option. Its best to charge your batteries before they are at risk of running down, but even that is not often, maybe every two weeks or so even with pretty heavy birding.

Can you please elaborate this?
My 18x50 came with alkaline batteries and I'm using rechargeable batteries since nowadays I don't think it makes sense using disposable batteries...
I just read the manual and doesn't mention rechargeable batteries...
The stabilization went out after the rechargeables (decent ones, Eneloop 2400s) ran out of power. while in use.
I speculate that the reduced voltage may have been the issue, although it may have been simple coincidence and the batteries blameless.
In any event, I switched to lithium AAs and have had no further problems.
However, I believe Canon does not recommend lithium batteries in some of the newer offerings, so it is worth checking for each model..

I have been using Eneloops on my Canon for years, and don't think there is any drawbacks to them. Lithium batteries are even better, but a more expensive option. Its best to charge your batteries before they are at risk of running down, ...
Thanks Kimmo (y)
I've being using camera traps since several years so I have all set of rechargeable AA batteries and chargers. Before I go to field (not so frequently as some years ago and as I wish...), I always check photo camera batteries and now I already recharge batteries for the Canon, including a spare pair...;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back