• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Throated Divers (1 Viewer)

Darkus_Markus

Hello,

It’s an ambition of mine to see a summer plumage Black Throated Diver this year.

I live in London, and noticed there was one at Abberton Reservoir last May.

I realise that there’s always a possibility of seeing one down here in the south but that’s always going to be quite a random occurrence.

I’m wondering if anyone can recommend quite a specific location where I'm most likely to see one / some ?

I’m considering a trip to the Cairngorms in the summer, and I’ll be travelling to the Danish island of Bornholm in June so could potentially make a detour to area’s not too far from Ystad in Sweden.

Any help much appreciated.

You may not get specific information on the open forum regarding breeding areas, as they're so much at risk from eggers.

We had a Scottish Bash in the Nethybridge area some years ago and found 4 on a loch near there, but for the life of me I can't remember where it was. Generally, I think, you'd probably have more luck seeing one further north-west. They could be on any loch, but Red-throated would be more common.

Please, people, use the PM system for any specifics.;)

You may not get specific information on the open forum regarding breeding areas, as they're so much at risk from eggers.

We had a Scottish Bash in the Nethybridge area some years ago and found 4 on a loch near there, but for the life of me I can't remember where it was. Generally, I think, you'd probably have more luck seeing one further north-west. They could be on any loch, but Red-throated would be more common.

Please, people, use the PM system for any specifics.;)

You don't need to reveal breeding areas. A spring staging area, anywhere that has the species after/during moult before they migrate.

Owen

I've seen such pre breeding full plumaged birds in Largo Bay if memory serves, late March/early April. Just off shore in beautiful light, flat calm sea. I can close my eyes and picture it perfectly, even if my recall of precise location, date & year are a little wobbly....

Why don't you just visit the breeding grounds, you'll get stunning views on a lake in e.g Finland plus lots more stuff besides?

One of the highlights of last summer for me was during our camping trip to the Arctic. We were sat by the campfire on a wonderful lake at about 10pm when a bird flew in and sat calling on the lake which was a first for me, never heard any Diver vocalise in life.

A

Why don't you just visit the breeding grounds, you'll get stunning views on a lake in e.g Finland plus lots more stuff besides?

One of the highlights of last summer for me was during our camping trip to the Arctic. We were sat by the campfire on a wonderful lake at about 10pm when a bird flew in and sat calling on the lake which was a first for me, never heard any Diver vocalise in life.

A

You can see them at RSPB Loch Ruthven, so Andy is right go to the breeding grounds, although not quite as far as Finland.

David

You can see them at RSPB Loch Ruthven, so Andy is right go to the breeding grounds, although not quite as far as Finland.

David

Though, bare in mind, factoring in advance booking, it is entirely possible that you could get return flights to Helsinki (or elsewhere in the nordics) as cheap as driving up to Scotland and back (depending on where you're driving from of course), whilst yes, getting a few more nice species than you would not get in Scotland. Do the maths, put budgets down in a spreadsheet and see which is worth your investment.

Owen

Though, bare in mind, factoring in advance booking, it is entirely possible that you could get return flights to Helsinki (or elsewhere in the nordics) as cheap as driving up to Scotland and back (depending on where you're driving from of course), whilst yes, getting a few more nice species than you would not get in Scotland. Do the maths, put budgets down in a spreadsheet and see which is worth your investment.

Owen

Where's Paul when you need him! :-O

I remember some years ago on a small fishing lake in Nottingham, a BtD arrived in autumn I think it was. The lake wasn't big enough for it to take off, the result was that it remained until spring and we were all able to watch it develop in to it's magnificent, summer plumage before it was caught and returned to the coast to be freed.

A

Last edited:

Owen

But bear in mind that beer and food will be less expensive in Scotland, and, according to most of the Nordics I’ve met, the beer is better too.

David

But bear in mind that beer and food will be less expensive in Scotland, and, according to most of the Nordics I’ve met, the beer is better too.

David

I would raise issue with the smear on beer quality (depending on the beer of course), but not the price. Food prices are fairly equivalent unless eating in a sit-down restaurant, where there is on average a 30/40% higher cost.

You can balance that out by choosing eateries with the very typical and common all you can eat buffets. Swings and round abouts I guess, but as an example, I very recently helped out a couple of young birders from Ireland, whose original intention had been to twitch just Hawk Owl.

http://helhathnobirdies.blogspot.fi/2018/01/the-brian-tour-visit-from-ireland.html?m=1

They went home with a little bit more than that. ;)

Owen

if you are in the cairngorm region Lochindorb is worth a go. Also holds breeding red grouse, golden plover and Ospreys regularly fish there.

Thanks for the suggestions, ideas and scintillating tales of encounters with this beautiful bird.

In my mind I was planning a trip for a Long weekend at most, which is why Scotland initially seemed more appealing than travelling further afield.

The sheer density of them in Finland sounds amazing, perhaps I need a rethink about how long my trip could be.

As always it comes down to time and money. I’m certainly not an expert birder either, so anywhere where the odds of a sighting are more in my favour is a bonus.

Cheers

If you go to Bornholm in June I think there even might be a chance to see one there. At the Southern Baltic coast regularly there are a few summering birds, some in breeding plumage. At some places (like off Northern Rugia or off peninsula Darss) with luck they can be seen at quite low distance.

I would be surprised if there are none off Bornholm in summer. Question is how to get to know about there favourit places... I don't know.

Still, nothing beats the magic of a calling Diver at the breeding grounds!!!

Don't apologise - I thought I was getting it wrong as I typed it! Anyway, the divers were brilliant from the boat jetty, and the seals were equally brilliant from the boat - saw at least 5 of them hauled out at different spots along the shore.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back