• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

kenko or canon tc (1 Viewer)

hi and welcome to 8irdForum from all the mods.

in terms of IQ there's not much in it, but I found that the Kenko sent the IS wiggy, so if you're using an IS lens I'd definitely recommend going for the Canon.

Why I ask about which lens is because the Canon tc will not physically fits a lot of Canon lenses. Also there are different grades of Kenko tc's.

canon 400 5.6 lens and a 400d camera.i was thinking about the kenko pro 1.4 tc
I have used both Canon and Kenko pro 1.4 with the 400/5.6 and IMHO there is not a lot to choose between the two as far as IQ goes. You will lose AF though whichever one you use.
BTW there is a Kenko pro 1.4 for sale on Birdforum (£80)

I have used both Canon and Kenko pro 1.4 with the 400/5.6 and IMHO there is not a lot to choose between the two as far as IQ goes. You will lose AF though whichever one you use.
BTW there is a Kenko pro 1.4 for sale on Birdforum (£80)

thanks roy, i was edging towards the kenko, its a lot cheaper as well.

I've just got a Kenko Pro300 1.4x TC to replace my Canon 1.4x TC II as it'll work with all my lenses (including IS, OS and macro) unlike the Canon. No contest!

However the Kenko tubes, unsurprisingly, sends the zooms (including IS and OS) wiggy (seems like a good technical term to me! ;))

I used a Kenko Pro 300 1.4x with my now departed Nikon kit and it worked very well including with the 80-400mm VR lens. But I use the Canon model with my current kit so cannot speak for the Kenko/Canon version.

I have the older models of the Kenko TCs, a 1.5 and a 2x, I also use the Kenko extension tubes on a regular basis and they all work fine for me. I sold my Canon 1.4 as the Kenko 1.5 IMO was better.

I also have 400D + EF 400/5.6. As TC I am using Tamron 1.4X C-AF MC4 which has 8 pins and therefore alows AF with central point. May be you could have a look at this TC too.

I also have 400D + EF 400/5.6. As TC I am using Tamron 1.4X C-AF MC4 which has 8 pins and therefore alows AF with central point. May be you could have a look at this TC too.

Do you have any images with this combo that we could look at...

Sorry for late answer Nikon Kid but some problems with the PC stoped me posting.
Please fine bellow one image with the above mentioned combo.
The image is not croped and was taken with the camera on monopode.

Cristian

Attachments

• PAS09080216BFF.jpg
    PAS09080216BFF.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
canon 400 5.6 lens and a 400d camera.i was thinking about the kenko pro 1.4 tc
I have the Kenko Pro 1.4 as well as both Canon extenders, having bought the Kenko when I discovered that the Canons wouldn't fit my 70-300IS. I confirm there's not much to choose between them, but a word of warning ~ on my 400 5.6 I found there was a slight amount of play when using it with the Kenko onto a 450D, whereas the Canon 1.4 locked it onto the 450D solidly. Just a thought...

I have the Kenko Pro 1.4 as well as both Canon extenders, having bought the Kenko when I discovered that the Canons wouldn't fit my 70-300IS. I confirm there's not much to choose between them, but a word of warning ~ on my 400 5.6 I found there was a slight amount of play when using it with the Kenko onto a 450D, whereas the Canon 1.4 locked it onto the 450D solidly. Just a thought...

I have also observed a slight play for Tamron 1,4X when used with EF 400/5.6 on Canon 400D.

this are sample take with a 1D 2 with both 400mm f5.6 and kenko pro 1.4 tc for the kinglet, and 70-200 f4 IS +tc for the robin. I cant compare with the canon, but the ouput are very good to me.

Attachments

• 1D2n-70-200f4+tc-merle.jpg
    1D2n-70-200f4+tc-merle.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 73
  • roitelet-1d2n-400+tcTIF.jpg
    roitelet-1d2n-400+tcTIF.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back