• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EOS R8 or 5D IV? (1 Viewer)

jpskoubo

I need a new camera body, and I tend to Canon. I had a Canon 5D Mark III which I have now sold, so I need a new camera body.
I don't have unlimited funds, so I am considering EOS R8 or 5D Mark IV, what would you recommend? And if not any of these, which one then?
My budget is around USD 1,500-2,000.

7D Mark II for inherent crop factor. I have the 5DMKIII and the 7DMarkII. This photo was taken with the old 40D (crop sensor) and 400L. (640mm)6.jpg

Last edited:
I need a new camera body, and I tend to Canon. I had a Canon 5D Mark III which I have now sold, so I need a new camera body.
I don't have unlimited funds, so I am considering EOS R8 or 5D Mark IV, what would you recommend? And if not any of these, which one then?
My budget is around USD 1,500-2,000.
Have you considered the Canon R7?

I know it is cheaper than R8, but R8 is full-frame, and R7 isn't, right? And secondly, does it make any considerable difference?
The R8 is full frame and the R7 is an APS-C so you get a bit more "reach". If getting close to the subject is an issue, the R7 might be a better option, but if you can reliably get close to the subject then I would probably go with the R8. I don't have any experience with the R8, but my experience with the R7 has been excellent so far with very little issues.

Evan

I've got the full frame R5 and I love it. I used it for birds and everything else from the day it arrived in December 2020. I don't think I've picked up my 7Dii since the R5 arrived. But when I saw the spec and price of the R7, I needed to give it a go. The R5 gave great quality, blowing the 7Dii out of the water, but even with the 100-500 it lacked reach. I had to wait for the R7, but since it arrived in August 22, it's my bird camera almost exclusively and the full frame R5 gets used for all the other stuff. The extra reach of the crop sensor makes a world of difference, and the 32MP sensor gives more pixels per bird than the 17.5MP of the R5 in crop mode, at a third of the price.

Don't let the APSC sensor put you off if what you want is birds. It gives great quality, and it will probably beat the full frame once cropped in, as bird and wildlife images almost invariably are. Full frame is great for landscapes, people, and other stuff, but the lack of reach makes them not so great with small birds in bushes or birds in flight.

A selection of migrating eagles from September, plus a few more recent shots, all with the R7 and RF100-500. Robin, wren and waxwing with 1.4x converter added.

Attachments

• Short-toed-Eagle-(50)-fbook.jpg
    Short-toed-Eagle-(50)-fbook.jpg
    801.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Short-toed-Eagle-(104)-fbook.jpg
    Short-toed-Eagle-(104)-fbook.jpg
    738.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Short-toed-Eagle-(240)-Trafico-fbook.jpg
    Short-toed-Eagle-(240)-Trafico-fbook.jpg
    877.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Booted-Eagle-(218)-Trafico-fbook.jpg
    Booted-Eagle-(218)-Trafico-fbook.jpg
    609 KB · Views: 33
  • Booted-Eagle-(401)-Cascabel-fbook.jpg
    Booted-Eagle-(401)-Cascabel-fbook.jpg
    893.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Booted-Eagle-(406)-Cascabel-fbook.jpg
    Booted-Eagle-(406)-Cascabel-fbook.jpg
    793.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Short-eared-Owl-(9)-fbook.jpg
    Short-eared-Owl-(9)-fbook.jpg
    619.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Robin-(3)-fbook.jpg
    Robin-(3)-fbook.jpg
    611 KB · Views: 31
  • Wren-(6)-fbook.jpg
    Wren-(6)-fbook.jpg
    711.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Waxwing-(75)-fbook.jpg
    Waxwing-(75)-fbook.jpg
    809.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Waxwing-(107)-fbook.jpg
    Waxwing-(107)-fbook.jpg
    767.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Don't forget the 32mp high resolution sensor is diffraction limited, so if you stop down below f/5.6 you start to loose sharpness. Just something to think about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back