• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Grouse ? and split ? (1 Viewer)

Victor Soares

Hi All,

Today I saw (I am pretty sure) my first (and 2nd) Red Grouse. It was in South Yorkshire near Sheffield in a place known as Hallam Moors.

I initially saw one bird on a hill which I assume was the male. It was a dark brown-red color but did not have the fleshy red above the eye (I assume it may be either a young bird or too late in the season). Its leg feathers were white and slightly too on the underside of the bird - is that normal? I then saw a lighter coloured bird a little bit further away. It was a "geyish-red" colour and also had more distinct speckles on its chest. Could not see its legs. I assume this was a female.

Does anyone disagree with my ID based on location and what has been described?

Also, when I looked for Red Grouse on my IOC Bird List, I could not find that common name ... can only find Willow Ptarmigan (Lagopus lagopus) ... is this the same bird?

I initially saw one bird on a hill which I assume was the male. It was a dark brown-red color but did not have the fleshy red above the eye (I assume it may be either a young bird or too late in the season). Its leg feathers were white and slightly too on the underside of the bird - is that normal?

Yep, too late in the year - that's something they have most obvious in the spring for display. At this time of year, it is very small or not present.

Yep, white legs is normal, and yep, the paler browner one is a female.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back