• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What 3 binoculars do you USE the most for birding? (1 Viewer)

Hello all,

6.4 and 10x32 provides me with an easy
Leica did try, but in my opinion did not succeed, building a great dual power binocular. It may have served trophy hunters, but the i had no use for it. It would be nice if they tried again, this time in smaller size, wider FOV, and perhaps a great"sweet spot" and flat field. Something like a 7-10 x 36 would get my interest if the optics were awesome and the FOV were at least 450 ft and 330 ft, respectively.

Leica did try, but in my opinion did not succeed, building a great dual power binocular. It may have served trophy hunters, but the i had no use for it. It would be nice if they tried again, this time in smaller size, wider FOV, and perhaps a great"sweet spot" and flat field. Something like a 7-10 x 36 would get my interest if the optics were awesome and the FOV were at least 450 ft and 330 ft, respectively.

Leupold had a 7 and 12 x 32 dual power binocular. It sold for about $1000.00.

From my memory I recall that its FOV was a very narrow 210 feet on the long end and an unimpressive 370' or so on the short end. I think it had a couple of small mechanical problems and it did not sell well and was discontinued.

Bob

What three binoculars do you USE the most for birding?

Denco, I have a place in Alaska and a place in New Mexico, I got a really good deal on the Leica 7x42 Ultravid HD's so have pair in both places, took the Swaro 8x32's to Alaska and the Zeiss 8x32's to New Mexico, that way I have glass in both places.
Folks on this forum said the Zeiss has better CA correction which is more important in New Mexico and I found the color pops with the Swaro's under cloudy conditions which Alaska has a lot of.
The little Leica 8x20 Ultravid's and the Nikon 8x20 LXL are great little travel binoculars, easy to carry and wonderful daylight views.
I bought lots of different glass, tested them and then passed them on to friends and kids.
All are appreciated and used.
I have some other "car bino's" that I don't mind getting beaten up.
Art

The three I find myself using are Swarovski 7x42 SLC ,sv 8x32 and sv 10x50! Don't need any other don't want any other.

Cover all bases for me without the need for wanting more.

Excellent in all respects, if you aren't happy with the above you never will be.

Bryce...

Yosemite 6X30 most of the time, because thats what's in my truck. Backyard bird feeders get watched with the Conquest HD 8X42.

That is a nice threesome. Does the 7x42 FL give you a lot easier view than the 8x32 FL?

More different than easier - I just love looking through the 7x42 when out walking.

The 8x32 FL is more comfortable to hold, weigh less, take up less space if packed and still give me an excellent view. The 8x32 FL has better ergonomics for my hand and finger length and is a good practical general purpose 'working' binocular.

That wide luxurient view from the 7x42 just makes me feel good and comes out for solitary rambles across open chalk downland when I am at peace with the world and love their crisp stress free ability to bring into sharp focus anything that takes my interest. This was bought purely for pleasure and not necessity, having tried one at Slimbridge and suffering from love at first sight.

The Nikon 10x35 EII are used when I think that I might really need the best possible image to identify something. (I can't be bothered with scopes)

There may be better binoculars out there, but these three are definitely the most used from the collection and I really don't need anything better. (I use a 10x waterproof roof to substitute for the EII in v wet or dusty conditions.

Last edited:
The three I find myself using are Swarovski 7x42 SLC ,sv 8x32 and sv 10x50! Don't need any other don't want any other.

Cover all bases for me without the need for wanting more.

Excellent in all respects, if you aren't happy with the above you never will be.

Bryce...
I agree. Nice choice of binoculars. I would imagine that Swaro 7x42 SLC is nice in foggy and rainy weather.

this is a very good thread for newcomers trying to decide on binocular purchases

edj
It is and that is why I started it. It gives newcomers to the hobby a look at what type of binoculars the seasoned pro's are using. Most of the birders that have been in the sport for a long time have tried dozens of different binoculars so the newbies and really everybody can benefit from that experience. That is sometimes why I ask the reason for having a different binocular. It give everybody an insight into their reasoning and experience.

More different than easier - I just love looking through the 7x42 when out walking.

The 8x32 FL is more comfortable to hold, weigh less, take up less space if packed and still give me an excellent view. The 8x32 FL has better ergonomics for my hand and finger length and is a good practical general purpose 'working' binocular.

That wide luxurient view from the 7x42 just makes me feel good and comes out for solitary rambles across open chalk downland when I am at peace with the world and love their crisp stress free ability to bring into sharp focus anything that takes my interest. This was bought purely for pleasure and not necessity, having tried one at Slimbridge and suffering from love at first sight.

The Nikon 10x35 EII are used when I think that I might really need the best possible image to identify something. (I can't be bothered with scopes)

There may be better binoculars out there, but these three are definitely the most used from the collection and I really don't need anything better. (I use a 10x waterproof roof to substitute for the EII in v wet or dusty conditions.
I would say you have three of the best right there. Really you can use an EII in pretty tough weather. Just put it in the case or your pocket if it starts raining too hard. They are not as fragile as most people think and they are the best optics you can buy for the money.

The Yosemite 6x30 is an excellent car binocular. Tough, inexpensive and the 6x magnification is good for close up and moving views.

I have had this binocular, but sold it to good friends who wanted it to a birthday gift to their 10-years daughter. Sharpness equal to some 10 times more expensive roofs. I liked the light weight and hold comfort. Definitely a great binocular for the price. I am tempted to get it again. This particular binocular is also available under a few other brands, for example Opticron Savanna and Kowa YF.

Monarch 8x42 Ed glass, about 90%
Promaster 10x42 ED
Columbia 8x25 roofs. They are in my bike bag half the time

The Yosemite 6x30 is an excellent car binocular. Tough, inexpensive and the 6x magnification is good for close up and moving views.

Depends how much room you have in your car I guess. I wanted a bin which could easily fit in the glove compartment, while still offering better optical quality and ease of use than typical "compact" pocket bins. So, I went with the Opticron Oregon 4 LE WP 8x32.

This bin is really compact, and has good optical quality at a very reasonable price. It even has a tripod mount! ;)

If i'm just knocking about with the dog its my 8x32 Nikon HG's. Proper birding trips it will usually be 8.5x42 SV's but if I'm not taking a scope, or sometimes just for a change Leica 10x42 BA's

Like many my usage varies with habitat and season, right now it's these :

Knockabout : Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32, refabbed with replacement 8x42 eye cups, replacement Opticron over barrel rubber objective lens covers, replacement heavy duty strap, class leading view and then some

Shoreline or lakeside : Vanguard Endeavor ED II 10x42, easily the best of the mid-market 10x42s

Sundowner : Weaver Super Slam ED 8.5x45, SHR silver prism coatings and not lacking in anything for use where intended

Best wishes,

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back