• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular for spotting owls (1 Viewer)

Out at dusk through night with the Zeiss Night Owl 8x56 last night. Didn't spot any owls but it occurred how useful the wide FOV and good DOF would be for spotting owls or mammals in the trees and fields. Very bright, my focuser works very well and I can hold them very steady for short periods. IIRC the experts disagree with me but the NO image appeared brighter with more accurate color as light faded as compared to my late FP SV 12x50.

Mike

Out at dusk through night with the Zeiss Night Owl 8x56 last night. Didn't spot any owls but it occurred how useful the wide FOV and good DOF would be for spotting owls or mammals in the trees and fields. Very bright, my focuser works very well and I can hold them very steady for short periods. IIRC the experts disagree with me but the NO image appeared brighter with more accurate color as light faded as compared to my late FP SV 12x50.

Mike
I tried a Night Owl once because of all the hype, but IMO it didn't compare to the more modern glass like the FL 8x56.

James Holsworth
"I have that bin, and you’d be crazy, IMO, to swap an SF for the night owl….my comments below from 2013. I have the 10x56 Night Owls - bought them to compliment my collection rather than as a daily use bin.

I am very sensitive to CA, and the Night Owls have tons of it, some even in the sweet spot. It is downright distracting on a flying bird, with a bright orange leading edge and bright purple trailing edge.

Sharpness and contrast is OK, but even my P coated 7x42 and 8x30 classics are noticeably sharper and more contrasty. Sweet spot is small and edge degradation quite obvious. Don't believe the hype, as some will try to tell you these bins are still the equal of the FL / HT - they lag behind clearly in many categories. Certainly, the N.O.'s lack the transparency of newer models.

And [of course] the N.O. is an ergonomic disaster - something like 1500 grams, tiny / stiff focus that is impossible with gloves and tight-fitting eye cups that fog in cool weather.

Other than that, it's perfect;)

Mine sits on the shelf most of the time, although it does seem to increase in value over time [even since I got it last year] so I think of it as a more attractive alternative to yet another boring mutual fund."

Last edited:
Does anyone here have the faintest idea what the spectral response of a typical owl eye is?

A quick look seems to indicate that it is similar to the human response, but rather more sensitive.

I personally would not ever shine a beam of light at any owl at night.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back