• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID this opticron scope pls?. (1 Viewer)

alan_rymer

United Kingdom
I wanted a small cheap straight scope to rest on the sills of the local hide, rather than stand with my ES80 on a tripod.

I found this scope on the well known aution site and bid for it and won it for £37, there was no description, just a photo. Received it tonight.
I thought it was a Classic IF MT-60 when I bid, but its not!.
Here's a photo, and my description.
Metal scope, 60mm optics, made in japan with Opticron label immediately underneath the eyepiece on the the flat area. Zoom 20-60 eyepiece that screws on via a collar, like the HDF zoom does ( but smaller diameter thread). eyepiece is also labelled for a 50mm scope 16-40. Zoom distance setting viewable through a cutout in the eyepiece barrel. There is an outer thread ( possibly for an eyepiece cover ) that takes my HDF zoom. There is an inner thread that is the diameter of fixed HDF eyepiece threads, but with a different type of thread. Lenghth of the scope minus eyepiece is about 10.5 inches. Optically it looks perfect. Looking at the stars handheld looks O.K.

Attachments

• et_scope.jpg
    et_scope.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 223
alan_rymer said:
I wanted a small cheap straight scope to rest on the sills of the local hide, rather than stand with my ES80 on a tripod.

I found this scope on the well known aution site and bid for it and won it for £37, there was no description, just a photo. Received it tonight.
Metal scope, 60mm optics, made in japan with Opticron label immediately underneath the eyepiece on the the flat area. Zoom 20-60 eyepiece that screws on via a collar, like the HDF zoom does ( but smaller diameter thread). eyepiece is also labelled for a 50mm scope 16-40. Zoom distance setting viewable through a cutout in the eyepiece barrel. There is an outer thread ( possibly for an eyepiece cover ) that takes my HDF zoom. There is an inner thread that is the diameter of fixed HDF eyepiece threads, but with a different type of thread. Lenghth of the scope minus eyepiece is about 10.5 inches. Optically it looks perfect. Looking at the stars handheld looks O.K.

Hi there!

It's an Opticron HR60. There are a lot of them about, although I think Opticron stopped making them a couple of years ago. Not waterproof, but robust - you could drive a Landrover over it (please don't actually try it!). There are 2 versions - one with metric threads, the other (older version) with imperial threads. If your HDF lens also screws onto the scope, you have got a newer (metric) version of the scope. The zoom it came with isn't up to much - it magnifies, but it's hopeless if you wear glasses.

Enjoy your new scope.

pduxon said:
you could email opticron........
True Pete. As a last resort I will.

But I thought that I would give some of the antique birders :cool:on here the chance to identify for me, some of the kit they used in their youths/youthesses!

seawatcher said:
Hi there!

It's an Opticron HR60. There are a lot of them about, although I think Opticron stopped making them a couple of years ago. Not waterproof, but robust - you could drive a Landrover over it (please don't actually try it!). There are 2 versions - one with metric threads, the other (older version) with imperial threads. If your HDF lens also screws onto the scope, you have got a newer (metric) version of the scope. The zoom it came with isn't up to much - it magnifies, but it's hopeless if you wear glasses.

Enjoy your new scope.
Seawatcher

Many thanks for the info. I suspect this may be the older scope as the standard fixed HDF eyepieces wouldn't fit because of a different thread!.

Regards

Alan

alan_rymer said:

£37.00 alan, i must have missed that one. i am collecting astro bits at the moment, but l will be back. kind regards stuart

Hi Alan

I actually had one of these, I've never really got on with scopes so sold it to another member.The optics on these however are absolutely marvelous!

..and yes, you probably could drive over one in a landrover and not damage it!

Regarding the HDF eyepieces, you can actually buy an adapter for this scope
for about a fiver that enables it to be used with the fixed wide angle HDF lenses.You can get these from cleyspy.

Matt

Last edited:
matt green said:
Hi Alan

I actually had one of these, I've never really got on with scopes so sold it to another member.The optics on these however are absolutely marvelous!

..and yes, you probably could drive over one in a landrover and not damage it!

Regarding the HDF eyepieces, you can actually buy an adapter for this scope
for about a fiver that enables it to be used with the fixed wide angle HDF lenses.You can get these from cleyspy.

Matt
Matt

Thanks for that very useful piece of info. I did mail opticron to see if they did a converter or any current eyepieces. i'll see if they come up with anything.
As to the optics. they do actually look very good.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back