• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eyepiece compatibility between Opticron and Hawke spotting scopes? (1 Viewer)

Joe500

Ireland
Hi, I'm new to this forum, living in Ireland near the coast.
I have a Hawke Endurance ED 50mm straight barrel scope with a 12-36x zoom eyepiece (as supplied with this scope).
Hawke don't supply other eyepieces and I want to buy a similarly sized Opticron ED angled 50mm scope with an HDF WW 13x fixed Focal length eyepiece - and witch the eyepieces so the 13x is on the straight barrel Hawke, and the Hawke zoom eyepiece is on the angled Opticron. My reasoning is: I hand-hold the straight scope at fairly low wide field viewing, and tripod mount the angled scope with the zoom eyepiece.
I also have a bigger and heavier Optolyth 65mm, with a 20x WW eyepiece which can be fitted perfectly to the Hawke scope as the thread is the same (M37 I believe). However the housing for the eyepiece on this Optolyth scope is to shallow to accept the longer barrel of the Hawke zoom eyepiece. Because the Optolyth and the Hawke use the same eyepiece thread I assumed it was fairly universal, but now I've reason to believe that this isn't the case with Opticron.
So (if anyone is still with me!), can I find out if anyone knows whether Hawke and Opticron eyepieces are interchangeable? This issue wouldn't have arisen for me if Hawke offered an equivalent optional WW eyepiece.

Hi and welcome.

There might be information on the Opticron site regarding historic and current eyepieces.

Action Optics, Southampton may have some suitable eyepieces?

Regards,
B.

Hi and welcome.

There might be information on the Opticron site regarding historic and current eyepieces.

Action Optics, Southampton may have some suitable eyepieces?

Regards,
B.
Thanks - I did go to Opticron and the reply I got chided me for presuming the similar sized scopes would be compatible!

There were Imperial size and metric size Opticron eyepieces, I think.

Ask Richard at Action Optics if Opticron can't help.

There may be other eyepieces that fit from Bushnell and others.

Regards,
B.

The Opticron eyepiece has a thread of M29x0.75 and is 13xWW on a 50mm Opticron Travelscope.
The supplied Hawke zoom eyepiece (only one fitted to their scope) has a thread of M37x0.75.
Possibly a thread adaptor could be fitted to the Opticron M29x075 to bring it to M37x0.75 for the Hawke scope?
Are these available online? I could google it but maybe there's a recommended supplier. I should try Action Optics suggested by Binastro - if they're in UK or EU

Hi,

while a thread adapter will offer a mechanical fit, it does not mean that you will be able to use the EP with the scope body as intended. Depending on whether the threads in question are male or female, the adapter might fit the EP too far out for the instrument to come to infinity focus.

So it is strongly recommended to hold the EP in question in front of the scope in the position where an adapter would place it and then try to observe the moon or another astronomical object of your choice and check, if you can get the scope to focus (and ideally a bit beyond that, as other users might have different eyesight than you).
Ideally this happens before an EP is bought or at least inside the return period and certainly before a custom adapter is ordered.

Joachim

Last edited:
Opticron have many different adapters, and it may be there is already one for your Hawke scope.

They may not like the idea?

But the adapters are often provided free for their own Opticron scopes.

I don't know if there would be problems with infinity focus.

Action optics are in Southampton.

Regards,
B.

'Opticron eyepiece adapters' brings up four adapters for £10 each.

But it doesn't state the size of the threads.

There are filter thread adapters for camera lens filters but these may not be long enough or strong enough for eyepieces.

SRB Griturn make adapters and stock many.

A local mechanic could make an adapter.

I found a stash of Plossl eyepieces ex gov for very little and a local machine shop made 30 adapters to 1.25 inch fit out of brass.
The cost was low.

I gave these eyepieces to friends and an astronomer visitor from Malta.

He had made a 6 inch doublet objective from a submarine periscope into a good telescope.
I think it cost £5.

B.

Thanks to those who responded with good advice, Particularly Binastro, and also jring. Perhaps I can get a Hawke scope body less the eyepiece, and an Optolyth eyepiece similar to the WW20x one I already have on an Optolyth TGB65. This eyepiece works fine on the Hawke ED 50, same thread

Hi,

if the Optolyth WW20 works in your Hawke ED 50, it will probably offer a lot lower magnification than 20x, depending on the focal lengths of the Optolyth and Hawke bodies.

So maybe try the Optolyth EP in the Hawke and compare its magnification with the low end of the Hawke zoom.

Joachim

Hi,

if the Optolyth WW20 works in your Hawke ED 50, it will probably offer a lot lower magnification than 20x, depending on the focal lengths of the Optolyth and Hawke bodies.

So maybe try the Optolyth EP in the Hawke and compare its magnification with the low end of the Hawke zoom.

Joachim
Hi Joachim,
I estimate the Optolyth WW20x EP, which is rated by reference to their 80mm scope is around 13x on the Hawke ED50. Even if there are brand variations in focal length, as I already have an older WW20x on an Optolyth 65mm scope, which I've tried on the Hawke, I've seen what it looks like.
My Hawke 50 scope is the straight version and frequently handheld. The extra wide field, compared with a 12-36x zoom at its 12x end, is what I'm after.
I'd be happier using my 12-36x EP on a tripod-mounted angled EP scope, if and when I can get a body only, with the same thread - which Opticron isn't!

The Opticron eyepiece has a thread of M29x0.75 and is 13xWW on a 50mm Opticron Travelscope.
The supplied Hawke zoom eyepiece (only one fitted to their scope) has a thread of M37x0.75.
Possibly a thread adaptor could be fitted to the Opticron M29x075 to bring it to M37x0.75 for the Hawke scope?
Are these available online? I could google it but maybe there's a recommended supplier. I should try Action Optics suggested by Binastro - if they're in UK or EU
I have eyepieces that fit Acuter etc but the thread is 34.75 so won't fit your Hawke, sorry. Richard Action Optics.

Since my last post/reply I failed to get a reponse from Optolyth (or the parent company) for mail order or supplier for their compatible WW eyepiece to fit my Hawke ED50. Nor could I find a supplieronline, except for vintage or used Optolyth scopes.
Eventually I ordered and received the Opticron MM4 50 GA ED with HDF 13xWW eyepiece, and now rather wish I'd gone for the 60mm. Although the 50mm is OK I've struggled to handle it comfortably. It's balance is very back-heavy due to the very short barrel beyond the tripod bush. I fitted a long arca-swiss style plate to stabilise it when set down, even though it gets in the way of handling the scope. I also modified the QR plate to accept a neck cord. The 60mm scope's balance would be much better I think, without being much bulkier, would be easier to handle, and would give a useful 17x with the same EP. The eye relief with the TDF EP (13x (on this body) is 22mm, which I find excessive even with glasses, and I fitted an O-ring to get a higher fixed stop on the eyecup.
Well, that's a bit of a moan I admit. Now I've fiddled with the handling I'm reasonably happy with it .....

The 60mm does need some sliding about I a long plate to balance nicely. Also the apparent field of view at the lowest power is rather narrow so I rarely zoom out that far as I don’t gain my actual extra field. Nice and easy to carry about and nice view.

Peter

The 60mm does need some sliding about I a long plate to balance nicely. Also the apparent field of view at the lowest power is rather narrow so I rarely zoom out that far as I don’t gain my actual extra field. Nice and easy to carry about and nice view.

Peter
Peter,
Did you intend to write that the field of view at the highest power is rather narrow (rather than lowest power)? If it was as you wrote initially, would you let me know the EP? I'd tend to consider the HDF T WW giving 23x on the 60mm scope, except that the Opticron spec. for that EP gives an eye relief of only 16mm - which doesn't sound enough for full-field comfort when wearing glasses.
Joe

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back