• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who is that (1 Viewer)

Christoph

I've got seen this one close to the city of Lucerne at the lake. He is sitting in a tree maybe one a half meter over the water...
Any ideas???

Thank you

Christoph

PS: Sorry for the terrible quality of the picture - it's a lousy snapshot.

Attachments

• dscf0590.jpg
    dscf0590.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 209
Looks like Fringilla Coelebs to me, also known as Common Chaffinch in the U.K
Nothing wrong with the photo, Christoph.... bit of colour fringing but fine for a record shot.
Andy

Hi Christoph,

I'd have to say it's a male Chaffinch. The angle is a bit unusual with seeing all red up front, but there's no doubt about it.

hmmm... actualy I havn't seen them quite a lot til now... may I allways looked at the wrong time at the wrong place...
and I didn't saw his back... so it looked unusual to me, and I took the picture... and at that day I spend more attention to the duck on the lake.
About rare: they say about 1.5 to 2 Millions in Switzerland... so I guess no...
About the picture: it's unsharp, there is a shadow on the bird and the the colors aren't realy well...

Thank you
Christoph

BTW: I think I should organiz a better guidebook - I can't work with the on I had - there are only drawing with differences in the colors to the real bird.

Christoph is your native language French? If so I can recommend Les Oiseaux d’Europe, d’Afrique du Nord et du Moyen-Orient by Lars Jonsson. The picture of Pinson des Arbres on page 504 fits your bird perfectly. It also gives each species range in France, Belgium and Switzerland.

@Paul: No, i don't live in the french part of switerland... may nativ language is german... but thank you for your help...

Hi Cristoph,
Both the Lars Jonsson and the Collins Guide have German-language editions:either of these would be excellent.Both cover Europe and those parts of the Middle East that fall within the Western Palearctic,so they would be of use if you travel within the region as well.
Harry

Christoph,
I agree with what Harry has said and would even suggest that you get both if you can afford them as I find that they complement each other.
In terms of the picture quality there is nothing wrong there. There are super clear shots for special purposes and there are record shots. As Andy says there is nothing wrong with this as a record shot. You have a record of this bird at this place on a certain date and the bird is identifiable and that is all that matters.
Oh, and I agree, it's a male Chaffinch, Fringilla coelebs.

Colin

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back