• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden Pheasants (1 Viewer)

West End Birder

I am hoping to be in North Norfolk in late September early October and wondered how likely / unlikely it would be at that time of year to try to see a Golden Pheasant. I assume early morning / evening are the best times? Is Sep / Oct any good, or a rubbish time - are they even still in existence?!

Thanks

And whilst I am at it, I have only ever been to Blakeney point twice (once on the boat and back) and once I got a lift there but had to walk back. Is it still as I recall on the shingle etc, or is there a path? Sorry but I just cannot remember it in detail! All I remember is that legend had it that it was some slog although I don't remember it being too bad on the way back that day?

Thanks again

I am hoping to be in North Norfolk in late September early October and wondered how likely / unlikely it would be at that time of year to try to see a Golden Pheasant. I assume early morning / evening are the best times? Is Sep / Oct any good, or a rubbish time - are they even still in existence?!

Thanks

Winter in best due to lack of vegetation (particularly in January when there is a spike of reports from year listers). I have always found early mornings better than evenings.

And whilst I am at it, I have only ever been to Blakeney point twice (once on the boat and back) and once I got a lift there but had to walk back. Is it still as I recall on the shingle etc, or is there a path? Sorry but I just cannot remember it in detail! All I remember is that legend had it that it was some slog although I don't remember it being too bad on the way back that day?

Thanks again

Lightweight for only walking one way! Low tide is best as you can walk along the exposed beach rather than the shingle. Might be worth checking the weather (adverse conditions vs favourable wind) before setting out.

Phil thanks for that info, lightweight indeed! Will be happy if I can nail a Barred Warbler though (better still if it is nowhere near Blakeney Point!)

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back