• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2024 Targets (1 Viewer)

Ive got a big list of targets and a couple trips in mind, If all goes to plan I could be looking at over 50 new life birds! 2 of my main doable targets this year will be Spruce grouse up in north New England, and American Oystercatcher on the coast. I made a long checklist with some of my top possible target birds in New England and I'm hopeful for at least getting a few of them! My main targets for my traveling (though none of those plans are set yet so there’s no guarantee) are Colima Warbler, Elf Owl, Mexican Jay, and Common Black Hawk and if I'm really lucky and go out of my way maybe Golden-cheeked Warbler and Black-capped Vireo . So many possibilities in 2024 though!!

Last edited:
My target is minimum one lifer--I try to get one every calendar year, which is getting trickier to do in years when I'm not traveling somewhere new (I don't know yet if I'll be travelling anywhere this year). There are a few low-density species I could still get locally if I'm lucky. I picked up 3 lifers in 2023, all quite serendipitously.

Here are my targets for 2024

From my local patch (southwest of France) : Lesser Spotted Woodpecker this is a bird that has eluded me for a while.
And getting a correct photo of a Bonelli's Warbler

I have a trip planned on February to Fuerteventura where I hope to see :
Hubara Bustard
Cream coloured Courser
Black bellied Sandgrouse
Plain Swift
Red-billed Tropicbird (a man can dream)
Mediterranean Short-toed Lark
Fuerteventura Chat
Degener subspecie of the African Blue Tit
Red-vented Bulbul

Then I will make a trip to Catalonia in April, my targets are :
Dupont's Lark
Calandra Lark
Mediterranean Short-toed Lark (if missed on Fuerteventura)
Pin-tailed Sangrouse
Black bellied Sandgrouse(if missed on Fuerteventura)
Iberian Green Woodpecker
Black Wheatear
Iberian Shrike

Last edited:
Not too many specific goals this year. Do more local birding than I did last year. I'll almost certainly do at least one larger trip, but it's still very up in the air. I've been eyeing a fall trip to Papua New Guinea, though I imagine if I don't commit soon I'll be waiting for 2025. A friend of mine keeps talking about a trip to Kenya sometime, but we have made no plans yet or even set a rough timeframe. I have a different friend who is an extremely keen birder but has never been on a pelagic, I'd love to take him on a Cape Hatteras trip or something, but again - ideas and no actual plans.

I have updated my wish list for this year.
For this year, I hope to do something extra special- see a bird which I dreamed of seeing since 2017 and always failed when I tried.
I hope to go to Hungary and see and get photos of a Saker falcon
Hopefully with photos of red-footed falcons too- my photo from Lakenheath in May 2018 is nothing to be proud of

Increasing my knowledge of songbirds and their behaviour.

In terms of photography:

A detailed picture of the male Pied Flycatcher with sun shining on the bird, taken outside of the woods. 'Not going to be easy but it's been done before by others.

and:

A Peregrine in decent range with some sun on the bird. As above: 'not easy but been done before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back