• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brand Bias and Loyalties (1 Viewer)

Except you wouldn't have the beauty. :t:

Why does it matter if people spend £2000 or £20 on an artefact? But to deny there's a difference is nonsense. Trying to suggest everyone should be happy with a $12 fiberglass hammer is also denying that some people know how to get the best out of a $60 hammer, perhaps the feel of the wood in their hand allows them to feel the nails better?

Anyway the bottom line is not all binoculars are created equal. Where do you suggest people draw the line at how much to spend or when to ignore a percentage difference as no difference at all?

In hammers, it is 100% marketing. Just like the nice Ti hammers. Read the ad copy, there is no proof other than they say so.

All binoculars are not equal, but I would guess passed the $600 mark a blind test would be hard to determine which is which.

. What upsets me is how badly some people treat top-quality binoculars.
I have seen some in such an appalling condition that I'm amazed how anyone could treat them this way.
I presume that the previous owner wanted the best and most expensive binocular but had no idea how to treat it or in fact any other item.

To many they are a tool, my bro inlaws swaros bounced around on the console of his boat, hardly ever cased when on the water. Beat up and usually missing an eye cup at least once a year. He will tell you, those are good bincolulars, but to him, they are a tool to be used. And when he needs them he needs them right now, so rarely are they cased.

But PT if you had kept on using your Hart hammer, because although it didn't do the job any better, it was just as good as the cheapo hammer, and actually you really enjoyed the feel of it in your hands and how it looked on the tool rack after you had cleaned it up, I wouldn't have said to you 'Hey PT stop feeding that ego of yours'. I would have thought hey theres a guy who appreciates a fine piece of craftsmanship.

I am sure there are folks toting Swaros and Zeisses and Leicas who look down on folks carrying lesser revered brands but I sure as heck don't think they are all ego-pumped sociopaths.

Surely we are allowed to get pleasure from owning the bins of our dreams, whether those bins cost $200 or $2000???

Lee

Morning Troubalee, well morning here. I dont think all are driven by ego.

What I do think is when people post a blanket "everybody would buy this brand if they could afford it" statement they are deluding theirself. Some of us could care less, there are things I will spend a lot of money on that could be considered ego driven (wristwatches and handguns come to mind) but binoculars arent one, anything above $300 will do me just fine and as I have said, I get as much enjoyment from Leupold yosemites as I do any.

In my case, the hammer was feeding a bit of ego. I'll admit it right up front. But the ego was misguided, as it is in many cases. When I pick that Hart hammer up today and it works fine, but it makes me also realize how well my Plumb works

Two viewpoints here which , to me , are both valid:

1) A more 'humble' or affordable binocular is certainly good enough quality for many and can be enjoyed as much as the top tier bins.

2) Top tier bins offer above average build and quality control and add some degree of extra optical quality (some see it, some don't so much)
which are desirable traits for people (with the available money) who appreciate brand reputation and high craftmenship.

Are people influenced by saavy marketing? I think some are very influenced and easily sold, many of us are influenced to a degree and some try to conciously resist it.

1) A more 'humble' or affordable binocular is certainly good enough quality for many and can be enjoyed as much as the top tier bins.

2) Top tier bins offer above average build and quality control and add some degree of extra optical quality (some see it, some don't so much)
which are desirable traits for people (with the available money) who appreciate brand reputation and high craftmenship.

Are people influenced by saavy marketing? I think some are very influenced and easily sold, many of us are influenced to a degree and some try to conciously resist it.

This is truth!

Morning Troubalee, well morning here. I dont think all are driven by ego.

What I do think is when people post a blanket "everybody would buy this brand if they could afford it" statement they are deluding theirself. Some of us could care less, there are things I will spend a lot of money on that could be considered ego driven (wristwatches and handguns come to mind) but binoculars arent one, anything above $300 will do me just fine and as I have said, I get as much enjoyment from Leupold yosemites as I do any.

In my case, the hammer was feeding a bit of ego. I'll admit it right up front. But the ego was misguided, as it is in many cases. When I pick that Hart hammer up today and it works fine, but it makes me also realize how well my Plumb works

I'll also admit to ego-boosting when buying some guitars by Fender, Martin and Gibson too. There I've got it off my chest.

I'd ask you if your handgun tastes ran to customised 1911 .45 ACP but we might get bounced on for drifting off topic :smoke:.

Always good to talk PT :king:

TroubaLee

Sums it up nicely :t:

Troubalot

I'll also admit to ego-boosting when buying some guitars by Fender, Martin and Gibson too. There I've got it off my chest.

I'd ask you if your handgun tastes ran to customised 1911 .45 ACP but we might get bounced on for drifting off topic :smoke:.

Always good to talk PT :king:

TroubaLee

Everybody gets a spurt of ego every now and then. Guitars are probably a good one to boost it on.

Hi Powers are my weakness. 3:)

My eyes tell me that my Minox Porro, that I paid $180 for, are sharper and more lifelike than the Kowa Genesis, or the Nikon 10 or 12X SE. Does that make me delusional, or am I less affected by the power of suggestion ? I'm beginning to think that a lot of people can't discern the nth degree of resolution in optics even though their eyes test well. Ok, now I'm ready for my verbal ass wippin.

My eyes tell me that my Minox Porro, that I paid $180 for, are sharper and more lifelike than the Kowa Genesis, or the Nikon 10 or 12X SE. Does that make me delusional, or am I less affected by the power of suggestion ? I'm beginning to think that a lot of people can't discern the nth degree of resolution in optics even though their eyes test well. Ok, now I'm ready for my verbal ass wippin.

I would agree with you.

I would agree with you.

I do too. My eyes told me, by viewing side by side via a tripod for many hours, my Meopta 10x42HD is just as sharp, contrasty, bright, etc as my 10x42 SLC HD (previous model)......and the Meopta has a smoother focuser (you're welcome brock!).

Gurian, Brazilian Rosewood, bought in '72 when I was always broke! I bought a Martin D12-35 Brazilian in 1971 as soon as I had the cash. Since then...two Taylors, two Gurians, another Martin, a Larrivee and a Santa Cruz. In 1969 I was walking across a campus when I heard a guitar being played. I said, "that's a good one", only to hear from my companion, "how do you know?" Well, folks, sometimes you just know. Sort of like looking through a good optic.

PS
Forgot my first love...a Silvertone archtop F-hole.

Four Rickenbacker 4001s, 3 Hofner 500s, 2 Jazz Basses. Oh, yes, I know about snob appeal! Now, that I've got that out of my system, I have a Fender SQUIRE Jazz Bass. It looks, feels, and sounds like the real thing, but cost $1,000 less.

In 6-strings, I've owned 32 Rics alone. NONE gave me any more talent than when I was playing on an Aria Diamond (Univox). The lack of employment, or a retirement program, has ways of raising one's level of maturity that age alone can't. Would I have been as bull headed about these instruments as those I try to teach to buy the INSTRUMENT, and not the NAME on the side?

Guilty! I attack snob appeal so hard, because it has cost me a small fortune! I just want others to be smarter than me. And, when awake, most already qualify.

Now, all I have to do is find the time to play the Sguire! Moment ago, I got my pristine 4-inch ED Vixen refractor out of pawn . . . to sell!

Years ago I saw a friend giving away astronomical treasures he had been saving for years, because he knew he was getting ready to buy the farm, and knew one day that would be me. Well, I'm making my down payment, now.

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited:
Years ago I saw a friend giving away astronomical treasures he had been saving for years, because he knew he was getting ready to buy the farm, and knew one day that would be me. Well, I'm making my down payment, now.

This has been my point the whole time, thanks Bill.

Bryce...

Bryce...

Don't go BROKE trying to look RICH; act your WAGE!

Thank you, Double hinged tractor mover.

Bill

Last edited:

Bryce...

It's all in your priorities. Which was kind of my point. Binoculars arent on my priority list. If I had a million bucks to spend as I see fit, I wouldnt spend a penny on binoculars. A better astronomy scope yes, but not binoculars.

Nah, it doesn't mean you're delusional (although you might want to ask Ed to test you, JIC), but more likely it means that you're becoming cross-eyed:

That Charlie Brown, he's a clown

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back