• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Y stick (1 Viewer)

Fedster

Finland
I know I will come across as a redneck or as an uncommitted amateur, but I hate tripods, and monopods seems to be far too flimsy to be used as a walking stick. Enters the Y stick (for my STS 65).

It works as a walking stick, cost me 10 euros to make, and works for the spotter. If you are in Viikki (Hell-sinki) you might have spotted me using it.

Attachments

• 20160904_173448.jpg
    20160904_173448.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 167
I know I will come across as a redneck or as an uncommitted amateur, but I hate tripods, and monopods seems to be far too flimsy to be used as a walking stick. Enters the Y stick (for my STS 65).

It works as a walking stick, cost me 10 euros to make, and works for the spotter. If you are in Viikki (Hell-sinki) you might have spotted me using it.

Y not? It's what you see not how you look that counts. Good on you if it works for you!

Have you thought about some type of rounded grip?

Best,
Jerry

Y not? It's what you see not how you look that counts. Good on you if it works for you!

Have you thought about some type of rounded grip?

Best,
Jerry

The stick is itself round, and I like being able to let my hand slide freely on it, rather than grip and push to add more power to my stride -- if I do it makes my stride unbalanced. Glad you like it!

Nice!
Maybe some padding below the Y to allow a more comfortable grip, plus to help shield your hand if it is cold outside?
Have to say I have been happy thus far with the Velbon Ultra stick Super 8, much pricier but also much more compact. With a ball head, it makes an effective spotting scope rest.
It is also plenty robust to serve as a walking stick for me. Fortunately it fits me even when only partially open, so the thinnest sections are not called on.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back