• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 - Outer Diameter of objective end? (1 Viewer)

v10tdi

Hello -
I need to find out the largest outer diameter measurement of the barrel on the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32. Unfortunately, I don't have access to my binoculars at the moment, so I was hoping some kind soul on the forum would help me, please. TIA! Lee

Hello -
I need to find out the largest outer diameter measurement of the barrel on the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32. Unfortunately, I don't have access to my binoculars at the moment, so I was hoping some kind soul on the forum would help me, please. TIA! Lee

Hya Pal

Its 48mm using a caliper gauge and with one jaw resting on the thinner rubber section and one jaw on the thicker section. You should be familiar with the fact that the Conquest HD armour is present around the objectives with two different thicknesses but if you aren't you can see what I mean in the photo below.

Lee

Attachments

• image014.jpg
    image014.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Thank you, Lee.
Yep, I know about the differing thicknesses. Thanks for measuring for me!
Best,
Lee

You are most welcome Lee.

If you are thinking of shoving your Conquests somewhere entertaining and just wanted to know if they would fit or how much they would hurt, please send us more details :-O

Lee

Hah...actually the opposite. I'm prepping for the solar eclipse this summer and wanted to acquire the right size filters. My binoculars happen to be up in NC (where I'll be for the eclipse) and I didn't want to wait to order the filters.

I figured that a birding forum would be the best place to ask the measurement question. :t:

Hah...actually the opposite. I'm prepping for the solar eclipse this summer and wanted to acquire the right size filters. My binoculars happen to be up in NC (where I'll be for the eclipse) and I didn't want to wait to order the filters.

I figured that a birding forum would be the best place to ask the measurement question. :t:

Great V10 (= VW Amarok???)

Hope you have fun with the filters. BTW did you know that The Kowa Prominar Genesis XD 10.5x44 bins allow you to add 46mm filters to the front of the objectives? Not sure if this applies to the 8x33 as well.

Cheers Lee

v10tdi = 4.9L VW Touareg...She's getting a bit long in the tooth now, but the engine is still an absolute monster, the air suspension is GREAT and the locking center and rear differentials have gotten me out of many tight spots.

Didn't know about the threaded Kowa bins. I confess I'm not much of a binocular person - I just can't hold my hands steady enough despite trying proper technique. So I only own that one Zeiss Conquest kit that my wife uses. I do mostly photography (m43 kit) and a lot of hiking so I have to go as light as possible. L~

Make sure the filters cannot fall off.

I would not risk it. My eyes are too valuable to me for anything except zero risk.

Hello v10tdi, and welcome to the forum! Binastro is right. Safety first. I'd be surprised to find a set of filters custom-fitted to the Conquest HD's because of the varied thickness of the armor. So be sure to use plenty of gaffer tape to secure the filters before use. I recently bought the Canon 10x42L IS, which is threaded for 52mm filters, so I'll probably be using that one for the eclipse.

v10tdi = 4.9L VW Touareg...She's getting a bit long in the tooth now, but the engine is still an absolute monster, the air suspension is GREAT and the locking center and rear differentials have gotten me out of many tight spots.

Didn't know about the threaded Kowa bins. I confess I'm not much of a binocular person - I just can't hold my hands steady enough despite trying proper technique. So I only own that one Zeiss Conquest kit that my wife uses. I do mostly photography (m43 kit) and a lot of hiking so I have to go as light as possible. L~

Touaregs are awesome and the Conquest HD is a really versatile instrument. I love its focus speed for getting on nearby stuff like dragonflies and butterflies and being able to quickly get on to a distant hawk before it disappears.

Take heed of the safety advice from our colleagues here. You don't want the slightest possibility of a gap around the filter happening, not even the tiniest.

Lee

Thanks for the safety advice. I'll make sure there are no gaps, that the filters are secured with multiple methods and well tested prior to using them in front of my eyes.

My plan is to hike up a nearby peak, set up a couple of cameras/tripods to capture different types of time exposures as the eclipse occurs over another nearby peak. I'll use the binoculars while the cameras are running.

Now if I could just do something to ensure good weather/viewing conditions. ;-)

Thanks for the safety advice. I'll make sure there are no gaps, that the filters are secured with multiple methods and well tested prior to using them in front of my eyes...

Will the eclipse reach totality at your location? If so, you'll want another bin or scope, without filters, to observe the corona, prominences, etc during totality. That opportunity is, after all, what makes such solar eclipses so special. I'll be watching from somewhere in Nebraska.

--AP

Will the eclipse reach totality at your location?...

Sooooooooooooooooooo close!
My tentative plan is to be on Mt. Pisgah taking the photos of the eclipse over Cold Mountain. On the map below, it's right on the red line, SE of Waynesville.
http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/states/NC.htm

With good weather, the picture should be pretty nice, but just missing totality. Here's a pic I took on Sept 2015. It's close to the date and time, but I'd need to use wider perspective and show much more upper left framing:
Cold Mountain from Mt Pisgah

Depending on conditions, I might choose an alternate location near Bryson (north side of totality) or Murphy (south side of totality).

...With good weather, the picture should be pretty nice, but just missing totality...
...Depending on conditions, I might choose an alternate location near Bryson (north side of totality) or Murphy (south side of totality).

If you've got that sort of flexibility, I can't believe you aren't making your way to a place on the path of totality!

The difference between totality and 99.5% of totality is not one of degree but of kind. Less than totality you perhaps notice the sun dimming. With totality, you look at the sun w/your naked eyes or naked optics and you _see_ the corona!

--AP

I agree with Alexis. I've seen one total, one annular and many partial eclipses in my life. Totality is not to be missed. Partial becomes interesting only in the minute or so just before and after totality when everything takes on a very strange appearance. The landscape still looks sunlit, but by a very dim 20 watt version of the sun.

The closest point of totality for me is about 120 miles away. My plan for that day is to have several potential sites staked out along the shadow path from the mountains to the coast in South Carolina. Which one I'll try for will depend on the weather report that morning.

I thought I'd check back in to finish off this thread - the right way. ;-)

Rather than driving 10 miles to get a quick glipse of Totality, I decided to drive about an hour southwest to get the most I could (2:37). I must say it was well worth it - and the 2+ hour drive back in the crazy traffic.

Anyways, thanks for the information about binocular measurements. The solar filters fit great and were very handy pre- and post-totality. I've packed them away until the next time I want to get a good look at the Sun. I used my GH5 to capture the event, but mostly I just watched it. Here's a quick pic, but I don't think there is a camera made that can really do justice to what your eyes perceive of the event.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• 36564500452_4e78a1473d_b.jpg
    36564500452_4e78a1473d_b.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back