• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 nightmare (3 Viewers)

STi_maXim

My story begins a few years ago when I bought my first binoculars from Zeiss, the Conquest HD model in 10x42. I received the binoculars at home from a very respected dealer in Europe, but unfortunately, the focus wheel was unusable and also decollimated. I returned it and received another one with the same problems, and this situation repeated itself five times! I received five defective binoculars. Finally, I received the sixth one, and it was decent. The alignment was perfect, but the focus wheel was still not working smoothly. After one year of use, it began to work even worse, so I decided to send it to Zeiss in Germany for repair. They confirmed that the binoculars had alignment problems, problems with the diopter adjustment, problems with the focusing mechanism, and the hinge was loose. After one month, I received the binoculars, and unfortunately, now there was something rattling inside, the hinge closed by itself due to its own weight after 2-3 IPD adjustments, the diopter adjustment had to be made separately for stars and nearby objects, and the optical tubes didn't enter focus simultaneously. I sent the binoculars back to Zeiss again, at my own expense, and they confirmed all the problems and replaced the binoculars with a new one. Just a few days ago, I received the new binoculars, and unfortunately, it was decollimated. I'm writing this experience so that those who want to buy a Conquest HD should think twice and also consider other options. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

Sounds to me the dealer mightve got a defective run or batch. The fact that Zeiss themselves couldn’t send you one that was good is very surprising. When I have an issue with one or more of a specific optic I ask the company or retailer if they could hand pick one for me with specific things I’m looking for. I’ve had Vortex, Kowa , leicastorelisse and a few others I can’t remember right now. Some dealers will do this for you. After the third or fourth time I would’ve given up on Zeiss.

My story begins a few years ago when I bought my first binoculars from Zeiss, the Conquest HD model in 10x42. I received the binoculars at home from a very respected dealer in Europe, but unfortunately, the focus wheel was unusable and also decollimated. I returned it and received another one with the same problems, and this situation repeated itself five times! I received five defective binoculars. Finally, I received the sixth one, and it was decent. The alignment was perfect, but the focus wheel was still not working smoothly. After one year of use, it began to work even worse, so I decided to send it to Zeiss in Germany for repair. They confirmed that the binoculars had alignment problems, problems with the diopter adjustment, problems with the focusing mechanism, and the hinge was loose. After one month, I received the binoculars, and unfortunately, now there was something rattling inside, the hinge closed by itself due to its own weight after 2-3 IPD adjustments, the diopter adjustment had to be made separately for stars and nearby objects, and the optical tubes didn't enter focus simultaneously. I sent the binoculars back to Zeiss again, at my own expense, and they confirmed all the problems and replaced the binoculars with a new one. Just a few days ago, I received the new binoculars, and unfortunately, it was decollimated. I'm writing this experience so that those who want to buy a Conquest HD should think twice and also consider other options. Has anyone else experienced something like this?
I really do feel for you! For the price you pay (in my opinion), far, far too much, for Ziess, I think it's a disgrace! They should give you them for free, and apologise profusely!

Hello.

I Saw your desagrement with zeiss. I from France ( excuse me for my english) and i have the same probleme with a zeiss conquest 10*42.

After 2 sendings in Germany for a diopter adjusment faillure. Binoculars Come back with a faillure on the focusism mechanism.
When i turn the focusing mechanism, during 1/8 turn only the left optical system move. So the use of the binoculars is Impossible.

Then i send it for the third time in 10 month.
During this Time zeiss give me a replacement product with the same faillure. And After 2 month the expertise said: "there is no "optical optimisation" on yours binoculars, we hope you will be accustom to the little default on yours material. But if you want you Can but our New sfl"

Have you found a solution with your zeiss dealer After ? And do you know if differents users have similar disapointment with zeiss ?

Hello,

I had the same "lucky" four times with Noctivids, the fifth was fine.

To Zeiss, my Conquest 10x32 wasn't ok either, I sent it in after that it was perfect.

I had to send in a Zeiss Victory 10x56 three times, and the problems were only resolved after a detailed phone call to the technician.

With a 12x50 EL Swarovski, dust was clearly visible on the inside, after the repair it came back with a repaired focuser, although it wasn't defective, the dust was still there.
I sent it back to the retailer and bought another one.

All premium manufacturers have these problems, I think the service has generally decreased a bit.

Andreas

My Conquest 10x42 has been great, so far, after two years of moderate use. I immediately replaced the eyecups with longer ones (free), and I seldom use the binoculars with glasses, so the eyecups stay extended. To me, the binoculars are bright, sharp, and a bit heavy for all day carry. But the weight may help steady them. I hike with lighter binoculars.

If you have 10x, you can try using eyecups for the 8x model (which generally have more eye relief). I've done that with my Swaro SLCs.

Hello.

I Saw your desagrement with zeiss. I from France ( excuse me for my english) and i have the same probleme with a zeiss conquest 10*42.

After 2 sendings in Germany for a diopter adjusment faillure. Binoculars Come back with a faillure on the focusism mechanism.
When i turn the focusing mechanism, during 1/8 turn only the left optical system move. So the use of the binoculars is Impossible.

Then i send it for the third time in 10 month.
During this Time zeiss give me a replacement product with the same faillure. And After 2 month the expertise said: "there is no "optical optimisation" on yours binoculars, we hope you will be accustom to the little default on yours material. But if you want you Can but our New sfl"

Have you found a solution with your zeiss dealer After ? And do you know if differents users have similar disapointment with zeiss ?
I'm sorry to hear that you've had issues with Zeiss. They sent me another new binoculars that they claim "has been checked and meets industry standards," but it still isn't what it should be. The collimation is good, but when I focus the image from close to infinity, the optical assembly that contains the diopter adjustment(the right tube) doesn't come into perfect focus, especially noticeable when I use it for astronomy. If I focus in the opposite direction, the image is perfect. I've decided to give up on Zeiss products and buy something else, after they told me that they don't offer free shipping from Romania to their location, even if the product is under warranty. This situation is very frustrating, especially considering the significant financial effort I made to purchase this binoculars, which was a big expense for me.

Whenever I have had to send any binocular in for repair, wty. or otherwise, I have had to pay shipping
to the service center. They pay the return shipping.
Jerry
That’s generally the case but it can depend on two other factors, how long you’ve had the binoculars and who your talking to at Zeiss. If you do your warranty repair order online, then the owner pays all the time.

Paul

For the record, I've had my pair of Conquest 10x42 for more many many years and they've been great. They've seen a lot of rough use and muck. I've had to clean them up under the tap a few times with a soapy toothbrush. I like them so much I'm thinking of getting the 10x32's.

This is just awful. And I really admire your patience. I have had Conquest HD 8x42 and it had a play in the focuser. I sent it to Zeiss and a month or so later I got it back with the problem solved. The eyecups were also replaced with the longer and that without I had asked for it.
So I am satisfied with my case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back