• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

MP to seek greater protection for nesting birds (1 Viewer)

Kezza

Seeing the Woodpigeons nesting in my neighbours hedge yesterday and Sue mentioning her neighbours nest has reminded me of this I read the other day.
Good news and I hope it does make developers proceed with more care, but will they? Maybe the fear of a (small?) fine still wouldn't be enough.
-------------------
Shropshire Conservative MP, Mark Pritchard, is to introduce a Private Bill in Parliament in March 2007 that seeks to give greater protection to the nation’s common and wild bird population. The Wild Birds Protection Bill has gained the backing of the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) and a cross party group of MPs.

The MP is seeking to "make more robust" The Wildlife and Countryside Act (1981), since amended by the Countryside and Rights of Way Act (2000) and the 2006 Natural Environment and Rural Communities Act (NERC) which together provide broad protection for birds in the UK where local authorities, or individuals, deliberately damage or destroy birds' nests while they are in use, which is a criminal offence. However, the NERC failed to close a loophole which includes the “reckless” damage of birds nests. This is because some developers, once they have been granted planning permission, do not always proceed with due caution.

The RSPB claims that, every Spring, there are many cases where developers proceed with developments that may involve the removal of trees or hedges and there is consequent damage to nesting birds, sometimes unwittingly. Introducing a “reckless clause” would lower the burden of proof and encourage developers to “take more care”. Mr. Pritchard’s Bill will seek to amend the WCA 81 to include “reckless damage to nests, not just intentional and deliberate damage”.

He said he would also be calling on the Environment Agency, Natural England and local authorities to issue clearer guidance to developers on their legal responsibilities and the need to carry out comprehensive bird surveys before beginning work. Mr. Pritchard said: “Introducing a reckless clause would focus the minds of developers and reckless local authorities to reduce the number of nests destroyed and bird deaths”.

Very interesting post Kezza. I shall follow this with interest. Guess I know what George is hinting at though so let us hope the bill is given time and not 'talked out' like so many other good ideas. What ever happens it is good to know that issues like this are at least being tackled and given some thought. I like to remain optimistic and mindful that 'the times they are a changin' and not always for the worst.

Hi Kezza,

Fingers crossed that he does indeed succeed, but I too have my misgivings - still, I'd dearly love to be proved as being unnecessarily cynical, but.... Good to know one cares enough to try though..and who knows!

Sue.

Hi Kezza,
This is good news. I wish Mark Pritchard every success with this private bill.
Thanks for the information Kezza
Fingers crossed

Hi Kezza
This is great news, but i am surrprised that the R S P B as not as far as i know also sent in a backing paper in is support more power to is elbow.

everything crossed.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back