• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

18 - 50mm Lens Suggestion? (1 Viewer)

MarkCaunt

Hi all, I am after a standard lens roughly about 18 or 28 mm to 50mm.
Have one that came with camera but after using the the L series 400mm lens the quality of images on this lens is very poor.
Anyone suggest a lens that might fit my criteria?

Would have to fit a canon 30d camera.
Budget is low I guess. NOt more then £250. Just the best I can get for my money is what I am after.

Thanks in advance for any help. Really appreciated.

I like my Sigma 18-50mm 2.8. Current retail is a bit over £300 though I'm afraid. However I did see one in Jacobs shop window at London Bridge for ~£250 .... oh wait. You're in Scotland so that's not at all helpful to you.

Anyway, shop around you might find a bargain. Here's a link which will hopefully be useful in finding and comparing prices:
http://camerapricebuster.co.uk/cat5.html

Do you need one now.
A good lens will last you a lifetime. How about saving a up little longer. My Canon 17-40 was my first 'L' & is cracking. You might get hold of one second hand cheaper.
Just a thought.

Tamron 17-50 f2.8 DiII, (for crop sensor only though, and should be roughly on par with the Sigma 18-50) around US$450 may be worth considering. I have used one and it is good. If you plan to upgrade your camera to 1.3 crop or full frame later, then Canon 17-40 may be the one.

Is your kit lens non-IS or IS? There's a world of difference, with the IS version being much better. Having said that, I'd still save up for a 17-40L.

thanks everyone for your helpful advice. I do need it NOW unfortunately and cant justify over £500 at the moment so will have to put the Canon 17-40L on hold for now. :(
Thanks again been really helpful.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back