• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Air travel (1 Viewer)

Dave Williams

The highlight for many of us is a foreign trip and the opportunity to see new species. For the photographers amongst us it also causes much anxiety as to what to take as restrictions are in force on the weight and dimensions of hand baggage.
I think it's a subject that is almost worth a section of it's own !
A useful place to start your search before you even book a trip is here
http://www.airline-luggage-regulations.com/british-airways.php#carry-on
It can't be guaranteed ( certainly not by me !) and once an airline has been selected it's worth checking with them directly.
It seems it's the package tour charter planes that give the most angst with Thomas Cook and Thompson Airways only allowing 5kg's of hand luggage which, bearing in mind as most camera bags weigh at least 1.5 kgs, doesn't leave a lot of room left.
Surprisingly, the cheaper budget airlines such as Easy Jet, Jet2 and Ryanair are very generous but you have to watch bag sizes , particularly with Ryanair.
I know lots of photographers choose their equipment with air travel in mind. A 600mm lens is pretty well impossible to travel with because of it's bulk.
Some have managed though, I'd love to know how as the maximum bag size dimensions allowed for the majority is 55x40x23. The lens hood on a 600 is 18mm without the cover and you would not get it in any purpose built camera bag that I know of. Has anyone had one made specially for this or any other equipment ?
Any tips and experiences on travel and equipment would be interesting to share.
cheers Dave

Last edited:
Dave,

It's a nightmare isn't it. I went on Thompson the other day with well over 5 kilos and just hoped for the best... It worked that time but there would have been some significant tantrums if it hadn't!

Recently bought a bigger lens so have been thinking about this a lot and done much research on rucksacks. I absolutely love warehouse express but I have to say I'm not sure I trust their statements on carry on luggage. The closest I can get is the Lowepro pro trekker 600 AW Backpack and on Wex under 'Specifications' there is a heading 'Airline Carry-on' which says Yes. Stated dimensions are 460mm x 380mm x 600mm... And it weighs 3.8 kilos on its own! How willing are you to stamp down that precious kit down to wedge it into those silly baggage size checkers?! If you're like me the answer is not much!

As you suggest above, whichever way I look at it it seems the only way to do it is to purchase a very thin and light suitcase, put foam in it and cut out holes for camera and big lens. Just the two of them is approximately 5 kilos so with very light case about 6. Then get the Mrs to take other kit in her hand luggage! It just requires taking great care of that bag for the journey and then move to more secure housing that you chucked in check in luggage (empty).

I've also considered the severely obnoxious route of having as much equipment as possible on my person. Teleconverters can go in pockets, even a non 1series body... perhaps it's a bit much to have your 1series body with 600mm lens slung over your shoulder(!) but I'd be very tempted to stand my ground with a 100-400... Only problem is they get to make the final decision so my brave statement on 'standing my ground' could well be a somewhat moot point in terms of relevance.

This also gives me a good Thompson rant opportunity... By the time you have paid to check in, walk on the plane, buy carry on luggage and had a couple of drinks each you might as well have just booked BA in the first place. Unlike BA etc, I've realised it is SO not as simple as just booking the seat... You even need to pay more for the privilege of sitting next to each other!

Happy hunting for a solution I hope some others pile in with their thoughts... Great thread starter!

Cheers George

I've also considered the severely obnoxious route of having as much equipment as possible on my person. Teleconverters can go in pockets, even a non 1series body... perhaps it's a bit much to have your 1series body with 600mm lens slung over your shoulder(!) but I'd be very tempted to stand my ground with a 100-400... Only problem is they get to make the final decision so my brave statement on 'standing my ground' could well be a somewhat moot point in terms of relevance.

If you wear a loose jacket, it is not problematic to have a lens such as the 100-400 over the shoulder, but under the jacket. Bins on the other shoulder. Have to remove during x-ray, but security are not concerned with hand baggage issues, so don't comment.

We have to be careful giving too many secrets away as they will know what we are up to !
For my next trip which is to The Gambia with Thomas Cook ( virtually the only option ) I have my wife with me as usual and she gives up her allowance as long as she has her Kindle included. I want to take a 500mmf4 and a 300mm f2.8 plus TC's, and two bodies.
The lenses and bodies I wouldn't trust to the hold but my chargers, spare batteries ,TC's, binoculars ( they were only £25) tripod and head will go in the hold.
I have a Think Tank Acceleration back pack that takes a 500mm but that with the lens alone will weigh 6.3 kg's. A non starter. I also own a smaller Think Tank Airport Antidote so that will have the 300mm in it plus camera cards and a small 85mm lens plus maybe a 5D.
The 500mm will have to go in a shoulder bag well wrapped in bubble wrap but that's all I can fit in the bag although it's actually only about 4.3kg. I might squeeze something else in !
As it's winter I can wear a coat, and I'll probably need it in the UK, but it is a pain having to carry it in The Gambia ! This means I can have my 1D which weighs 1.3 kgs over my shoulder inside the coat. As it won't have a lens attached it won't be a problem or discomfort.
I have just bought a netbook computer for picture storage amongst other things whilst away and this conveniently fits in to a cheap padded wallet which leaves enough room for the passports and tickets.
If all goes to plan I will be wearing the backpack as we approach check in,wife the shoulder bag which she will put down whilst delving in to my back back for the "travel wallet" ( also reducing it in weight by 1kg to within the limits!). When asked to weigh the bags I'll put both on the scales and hopefully that will be that and we will get the tags needed to board. Once through to departure I can re pack the camera in to the camera back where there is sufficient room for it. When we get to our destination I will then have a camera bag for everything, including the TC's for going out and about.
The bag the 500mm travels in will double as a beach bag and be useful for getting the beers in from the local shop.
Hopefully all will go to plan and I am also relying on the fact they don't weigh hand baggage on the way back from The Gambia as I'll look stupid wearing a raincoat in about 30 degrees of sun !
What I do find a shame is that we have to resort to this sort of deception. I am more than happy to pay for extra hand luggage but every year I try to get an answer from Thomas Cook and every year they succeed in avoiding giving me one. The sole , well almost the sole reason for my holiday is to enjoy photography there. As they use the same planes as other airlines I just don't understand where they are coming from in sticking to the minimum allowance of only 5KG's with no options to increase it unless I'm told you have booked a wedding package.Seems a bit extreme and my other half wouldn't be too chuffed when I told her we have to get divorced every year.
cheers Dave

Last edited:
If you wear a loose jacket, it is not problematic to have a lens such as the 100-400 over the shoulder, but under the jacket. Bins on the other shoulder. Have to remove during x-ray, but security are not concerned with hand baggage issues, so don't comment.

Normally security aren't concerned with hand baggage issues, but I came a cropper with a Ryanair flight out of Tampere in Finland where security and baggage issues were handled by one set of staff.

Normally security aren't concerned with hand baggage issues, but I came a cropper with a Ryanair flight out of Tampere in Finland where security and baggage issues were handled by one set of staff.

In the link to the various hand baggage allowances by different airlines it states quite categorically that Ryanair both weigh and measure your bag. In actual fact Ryanair give a handsome weight allowance but they trim a few centimetres off the size of most airline's bag size making it 55x40x20 ( not 23 ) This dimension is critical in being able to get it in to their measure, if it doesn't fit you get a 50 euro on the spot overcharge.
There was an expose on Watchdog not long ago where one of the airlines used under sized bag measures so the unwary where being hit with charges despite their bags being within the published size limits. Now that is more sneaky than passengers stuffing their pockets so it makes me feel less guilty !

When dealing with international flights and the really big lenses, two other choices that friends of mine have used are shipping the lens to the destination, or buying another seat on the flight just for the equipment. A friend of mine travels a lot with a 600mm F4 lens, to Africa and South America from the U.S...he typically has his 600mm lens shipped via FedEx in a hard padded and locked case. Pricey - yes...but often times there's just no other way to get that type of lens onboard as a carryon, and few people would have the courage to check it as baggage!

I bought two coach seats flying from Miami to Quebec last year as they were pretty cheap - far less than a single business-class seat - and that let me get away with my camera backpack fully loaded, plus a rollalong carryon, plus a personal bag...all as carry-ons, so I only had to check my standard suitcase and avoided extra charges or running up against weight limits. And the person I was traveling with had the extra room for an additional carryon herself, since we had the extra seat between us.

he typically has his 600mm lens shipped via FedEx in a hard padded and locked case. Pricey - yes...but often times there's just no other way to get that type of lens onboard as a carryon, and few people would have the courage to check it as baggage!

Is there much difference there Justin ? Surely FedEx have it travelling in their hold too and I dare say it gets man handled more times during it's journey than it would as normal luggage travelling with you.Of course to be able to do this, you need enough luggage allowance and you often don't have it. A typical package tour airline offers a mere 20 -23kg in the hold per person but last year I did travel on a package to Kenya and the company used Kenya Airways who give each passenger a magnificent 7kg hand luggage allowance plus a further 2x 23kg hold bags. I could actually take some clothes for a change !

BA were quite generous on a trip to South Africa. The bag size is the normal specified one, but the weight limit is not specified. However, you must be able to lift it into the overhead locker unaided.

I think I took about 15 kilogrammes this way.

Just make sure it does not fall out. o:D

Is there much difference there Justin ? Surely FedEx have it travelling in their hold too and I dare say it gets man handled more times during it's journey than it would as normal luggage travelling with you.Of course to be able to do this, you need enough luggage allowance and you often don't have it.

Tough call on that I think. I may be completely off-base, but for some reason I can more easily wrap my mind around having something expensive handled by FedEx or UPS shippers than airline baggage handlers - if for no other reason than long-time stereotypes of how baggage handlers treat luggage, and from bad personal experiences with poorly handled luggage - everything from tiretread marks on suitcases to busted locks to ripped zippers with clothes hanging out the side to flooded suitcases soaked in water a foot deep to outright lost luggage. Whereas with shipping of large or expensive items, I have been fortunate (knock on wood) to have not suffered any untoward damage, and have the ability to track and insure which just makes me feel better. I haven't shipped lenses yet myself, but would consider it unless the price was exhorbitant...I don't think I could ever feel comfortable putting a lens down in the checked luggage.

I think that I would write early to the airline concerned and explain the situation. BA would probably reply, with some sort compromise. I don’t think you stand any chance with the budget airlines.

Otherwise, Justin’s, idea of buying 2 seats makes sense, for local European flights. The cheap as chips flights, no frills is probably the way to go, but again I would get it in writing what your intentions are and there’s agreement and clear understanding.

The other way if it’s an organised trip, primarily photography orientated is to consult the holiday company whether they provide a lens lending service.

As a business opportunity it makes financial sense to me to increase the clientele by providing a service that as discuss is a pain to transport.

Otherwise, Justin’s, idea of buying 2 seats makes sense, for local European flights. The cheap as chips flights, no frills is probably the way to go.

On European budget airlines such as Ryan, there is no cabin or checked baggage allowance associated with the purchase of an extra seat.

Would physically need an extra passenger to agree agree to come with you to occupy the seat.

Not a camera lens, but the new Swarovski telescopes are top notch for solving the problem - dismantling into two, the body part is small enough to go in a large pocket or in the hand bagage, the objective part compact enough to also easily fit in hand baggage.

Last edited:
Our next trip is a package with Monarch who use Thomas Cook flights. This makes it even more complicated.
Believe it or not the Thomas Cook package using the same flights and hotel is more expensive and you get less hold allowance, a meagre 15kg pp instead of 20kg. You also get a meal on the plane included with the Monarch package.
The bad news is that Monarch don't forward your details to Thomas Cook until nearer your departure time so negotiating luggage allowances and even booking seats together has to be done at the last minute.
We could book a separate flight ticket at a cost of over £500 ( the hotel and flight package for a month was only £900pp)but I doubt that would solve the problem. Dave

I still think it’s worth a courtesy letter, who knows if you don’t ask you don’t get in this world.

The other thing Dave, I presume you want to be as mobile as possible, lovely as the 500/600mm lenses are they do restrict you, having to cart around a heavy head/tripod and electronic remote, especially if the wife’s in tow.

You were also writing about which Canon to purchase, the 5D has a sizable sensor, combining with a 300mm 2.8mm it is going to give you a pretty good chance of getting great results. You might still require a lighter support system.

I’ve carried the same Nikon system, plus scope and bins in a Swarovski bag, with a tripod and head wrapped in towels in baggage. It’s without doubt heavier than permitted, but if you smile with the weight the Swarovski looks like a posh brief-case and I’ve had no trouble at all, it’s either gone in the locker or by my feet all round the world.

You probably can’t get this bag anymore, but there must be a similar one made by another manufacturer.

I still think it’s worth a courtesy letter, who knows if you don’t ask you don’t get in this world.

The other thing Dave, I presume you want to be as mobile as possible, lovely as the 500/600mm lenses are they do restrict you, having to cart around a heavy head/tripod and electronic remote, especially if the wife’s in tow.

You were also writing about which Canon to purchase, the 5D has a sizable sensor, combining with a 300mm 2.8mm it is going to give you a pretty good chance of getting great results. You might still require a lighter support system.

I’ve carried the same Nikon system, plus scope and bins in a Swarovski bag, with a tripod and head wrapped in towels in baggage. It’s without doubt heavier than permitted, but if you smile with the weight the Swarovski looks like a posh brief-case and I’ve had no trouble at all, it’s either gone in the locker or by my feet all round the world.

You probably can’t get this bag anymore, but there must be a similar one made by another manufacturer.

The only issue I have with equipment is what I can take, I'd take it all if I could !

Once I get to where I'm going ( The Gambia in this instance) lugging my gear around isn't a problem even though it's pretty hot. I don't have to go far and usually it's walking distance from the hotel and virtually never with my wife in tow. She's happily laid out on a sunbed at Gas Mark 7 reading her Kindle. I soon get fed up and wander off periodically for another photo session. Happy days !
As I'm going for a month and combining a rather expensive boat trip and camping experience up river for 5 nights ( wife's coming too on that one :eek!: hope she enjoys it)
I have decided that having a back up camera makes a lot of sense otherwise my trip could be ruined. The combination of a 1DMK1V , the 5D Mk111 plus a 300 and 500mm lens covers just about all eventualities.... I hope !

Always my biggest worry when flying as I usually take almost double the allowed weight, the airlines I can remember are:

Etihad - initially stopped me but once I had proven that it was photographic gear they let me take as hand luggage with no charge;
Thai - usually ok, only once they made me take my cameras out of my bag and check my bag;
China Airlines - No problem
Eva Air - No problem
British Airways - Cameras were ok but always seem to lose my checked luggage!
US Airways - Had to pay extra and then they lost my checked luggage
KLM - no problem after explanation
Malaysian - No problem
Delta - no chance very strict
American Airlines - no chance very strict

...of course no guarantees as it often seems to depend on the staff on that day rather than company policy.

As a nervous pessimist I have to ask: What if the worst comes to the worst and all the blagging, carrying things under the coat, risking 500g over limit 5cm over size, smiling etc gets you nowhere, what happens to my 500 F4? Is it left securely in the airport 'til I return, does it have to go in the bin with my water bottle or what?

As a nervous pessimist I have to ask: What if the worst comes to the worst and all the blagging, carrying things under the coat, risking 500g over limit 5cm over size, smiling etc gets you nowhere, what happens to my 500 F4? Is it left securely in the airport 'til I return, does it have to go in the bin with my water bottle or what?

I would imagine you'll be asked to put it in your hold baggage and if it goes over the weight limit as a result you'll have to pay the excess .
Which airline are you thinking of ?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back