• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First pairs of binoculars - travel (2 Viewers)

Lukny

Austria
Hey folks,

first time posting here after reading through plenty of threads for the past weeks. I don't currently own any binoculars (I think we can all disregard my 20€ ones with a loose lens) but I'd like to buy my first proper pair.

Now, I know this is a birdwatching forum but these would mostly be used during travel and only on the occasional hike here in Austria. In general, I travel for around 3-4 weeks per year and thought that it would be nice being able to look at buildings, landscapes or nature in more detail. Obviously different uses require different tools but I'd like something that works reasonably well as an all-purpose (e.g., African safari, tour through the Amazon, backpacking Central Asia or road trip around Japan), lightweight and glasses-compatible pair of binoculars. Also, seeing as I might spend close to 1000€, I want these to last a long, long time. Not necessarily for the rest of my life (I'm only 23) but a couple of decades at least without significant issues.

I've already decided to buy a Pentax Papillo 6.5x21 (110€) for looking at butterflies and bees specifically, and in my mind it could work well as a small, lightweight pair for city use. Alternatively, I could also buy the SW Curio 7x21 (710€), which has received plenty of praise throughout this forum. I don't really care about the focus wheel issues, as it's easily repairable.

However, I've come to understand that these small binoculars are still inferior to larger aperture ones when it come to well, any category except of size and weight. An 8x32 would clearly be superior to the 7x21 for the aforementioned Safari or Amazon River tour. So right now, I have a choice to make:

1. Buy the Papillo (use it only for close ups) and the Curio which would be used for everything else. It would save me quite a bit of weight (250g vs around 600g for my favourite 8x32s), size I don't really care about. Also, how noticeable is that weight difference in practice when carrying the binos in a good, supportive backpack?

OR

2. Buy the Papillo (use it for close ups and anytime I don't expect to see anything too special like in Cities) and an 8x30 or 8x32 (amongst my favourites are the SW CL 8x30, Kowa Genesis 8x33 or Meostar B1 Plus - I'm open for suggestions but would like to stay under 1000€) for hikes or more flora/fauna centred trips. I could get a used Swaro for a grand, the Kowa for 860€ and the Meostar used to be around 800-900€ half a year ago. These days it's almost 1300€ but I don't mind waiting for a while.

Kind of TLDR: I image it might be difficult to give exact recs to someone who doesn't even know their own preferences, so I'm only really after advice for choosing between Papillo + pockets or Papillo + compacts. I'll test a couple of binos once I know which size I'm after.

I appreciate any advice! :)

Cheers,
Lukas

Hi Lukas,
If lightweight, full sized and spectacle friendly binoculars are the key criteria, I'd recommend the Opticron Traveller 8x32 ED. My wife replaced her Leica 8x32 BA with these and is very impressed. It is a very compact form factor, whilst offering a good combo of long eye-relief and wide FoV. Opticron also have an excellent warranty, which may give you peace of mind. I think the combo of the Opticron with the Papillo would be a good one, though the Opticron may be all you ever need - it focuses down to 1.2m.
Others may have better suggestions though!

My other suggestion would be the Zeiss Victory 8x25.

The view is true top tier, small tiny form factor, and goes amazingly well with glasses for the full field of view.

If I were going on a trip and couldnt take my full sized 8x42s? The Zeiss sat on my work desk would come with me without any hesitation.

I would buy the Pentax Papilio 6.5x21 for your compact binocular and the Pentax ED 7x32, ED 7x42 or ED 10x42 for a larger, brighter, waterproof set. You would have less than $500 invested, and you would have an excellent travel pair for all around use.

Last edited:
Hi Lukas,
Can't disagree with the Opticron view, but I personally chose the Kowa BDII 32-6.5XD when tested against the Traveller and even the Swaro. Should be approx Euro 390 and worth every penny (or cent).
Cheers
Hey Jack,
since the Opticron isn't available in my country (I'd have to import from the UK or US), I'll look into the Kowa!

Cheers

Hey Jack,
since the Opticron isn't available in my country (I'd have to import from the UK or US), I'll look into the Kowa!

Cheers
The only thing I didn't like about the Kowa Genesis 8x33 is the soft edges. The Pentax ED 7x32 is sharp to the edge and handles CA better at 1/2 the price. From Allbinos.

Last edited:
For the travel (& hiking) you describe I'd carry a small 10x32.
See if there are any 'pre-loved' Leica Ultravid or Swarovski EL you can try; secondhand they'll be at the top of your budget.

For the travel (& hiking) you describe I'd carry a small 10x32.
See if there are any 'pre-loved' Leica Ultravid or Swarovski EL you can try; secondhand they'll be at the top of your budget.
Watch the armor cracking and falling off on the EL back to 2010 because it is a known issue and the Leica Ultravid often times has too much ER for the eye cup length if you don't wear eyeglasses, so you have to float them in front of your eyes to avoid blackouts. None of the Leica Ultravids worked for my shallow eye sockets.

For your needs I would recommend a full-size binocular, probably 10x42. Since you already have a 6.5x, an 8x won't be much of an advantage. A larger magnification will be much better imo for the uses you describe. If you're carrying them in a backpack I would be very surprised if you were able to notice a difference in weight. Your backpack alone will likely weigh more than any binocular you buy.

Some good options in your price range:
Nikon HG
Zeiss Conquest
Vortex Razor

Lukny, I would suggest a light weight 8x42 for your second pair. It would be better in low light than a 32mm. A 10x can be great for detail, but the field of view is usually narrow. Not ideal for landscape and forest viewing.

I think the best all around sizes are either 8x42 or 8x32.
The larger, heavier, 42mms have better light gathering, especially in low light conditions;
but the smaller, lighter 32mms are easier to pack and carry.
As far as specific models, go to a dealer with a good collection and pick the one you like best.

edj

The only thing I didn't like about the Kowa Genesis 8x33 is the soft edges. The Pentax ED 7x32 is sharp to the edge and handles CA better at 1/2 the price. From Allbinos.

But you like the edges in the Linet 😲😧🙄. I have two of the Genesis 33’s and sold a third, and the edges were as good as most any other binoculars in its $1000 price point that doesn’t have field flatteners. I guess if allbinos said it has bad edges you then see bad edges. I’m going to wait to find out what you didn’t like on the Zulu 6 16x42 and the Pentax 7x32 after you sell them. 😏

Regardless of which magnification you go with, make sure to at least take a look at the Vortex Viper series. Outstanding binocular for a very reasonable price and excellent customer support.

I’m also a big fan of both the Papilio and Curio, yet feel that they’re just a little too close together for both size and magnification, which works leave me suggesting either an 8x or 10x binocular with either the aforementioned 32 or 42mm objectives.

Which brings me back to the Viper 10x42 HD, a very comfortable and satisfying binocular, even for some of us who also have Ultravids and other much costlier options to compare with.

Finally, my main objection to the excellence of the 6.5x32 Kowa would be the magnification duplicity with the Papilio again. If you look at Kowa, try to get something with a little more magnification.

But you like the edges in the Linet 😲😧🙄. I have two of the Genesis 33’s and sold a third, and the edges were as good as most any other binoculars in its $1000 price point that doesn’t have field flatteners. I guess if allbinos said it has bad edges you then see bad edges. I’m going to wait to find out what you didn’t like on the Zulu 6 16x42 and the Pentax 7x32 after you sell them. 😏
Nah, the Kowa Genesis 8x33 has soft edges. If you can't see them, you are blind. Maybe you are used to the soft edges on your Leicas and that is why you think they are sharp on the Kowa. Look at a Swarovski EL or a Pentax ED to see what sharp edges are.

The Kowa Genesis 8x33 has a tunnel like 8 degree FOV compared to the Linet's 13.5 degree FOV. Even with soft edges, the Linet has a way bigger usable FOV. The FOV on the Linet is so huge I have to look at the edges to see them. With the Kowa I notice them right away. I never liked the Kowa for that reason.

Compare a Kowa Genesis 8x33 to a Swarovski EL 8x32, and you will sell the Kowa the next day. I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back