• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

zany moth traps (1 Viewer)

Johan J

... one thing I personally rather enjoy about moth-ing is the DIY aspect, ie making your own mothtraps, and as a consequence, thinking about and trying "improvements". For example, extended vanes, etc.

With the season coming to an end and a few months available to make some homespun mothtrap "upgrades", I was wondering what "improvements" others have tried, if they failed, were they expensive, what bits did people use, etc?

Regards,

Johan

surreyjohan said:
... one thing I personally rather enjoy about moth-ing is the DIY aspect, ie making your own mothtraps, and as a consequence, thinking about and trying "improvements". For example, extended vanes, etc.

With the season coming to an end and a few months available to make some homespun mothtrap "upgrades", I was wondering what "improvements" others have tried, if they failed, were they expensive, what bits did people use, etc?

Regards,

Johan

Hello Johan,
As you mentioned extended vanes, I presume you have seen one of my posts concerning them. I did find them very useful, and never trap without them in place. Apart from catching some of the moths that usually zoom over the trap and disappear for ever, they are a good resting spot for micro's. It's easy to 'tube' them resting on the vanes, whereas many that go into the trap get very worn by being battered around by larger moths, making them hard to ID.

My vanes cost about £20 for the plastic and brackets, nuts, bolts and washers. They took less than 2 hrs to make. I bought the smallest sheet of clear plastic I could find, and there was enough material surplus for a spare set of vanes. It works for me.

What is really needed, is some kind of sensor operated trapdoor which opens when a moth enters the trap cone and shuts again after it has entered the trap body. It would cut down on losses or escapees. As I am hardly qualified to change a three pin plug, I will leave it to someone with electrical expertese to design it.

If, by any chance, you are an Analytical Chemist, there is a need for an all species pheremone which would attract the males of every moth species known.

Lastly, a very famous collector recorder of the 19th C once wrote. "An entomologist needs three lifetimes, 70 years to trap and record, 70 years to write up his findings, and a further 70 years to communicate his findings to others". As I am now in my 60's, I am in urgent need of a 'long life pill'. ;)

I'm sure others will have additional suggestions.

Harry

I use Skinner traps. Delighted I don't have Robinson as I get as much as I can cope with as it is.
I shall make couple new traps during winter. Main modification will be to make them deeper to accommodate more egg trays to spread the catch over greater surface area which I think should lessen the carnage that 100s of Large Yellow Underwings cause. I found with my current capacity, 200 LYU were no problem. 250 was quite manageable, but 300+ was causing me big problems. So if I can spread the 400 LYU over double the amount of egg trays, then that number may become manageable.

Angus T said:
I shall make couple new traps during winter. Main modification will be to make them deeper to accommodate more egg trays to spread the catch over greater surface area which I think should lessen the carnage that 100s of Large Yellow Underwings cause. I found with my current capacity, 200 LYU were no problem. 250 was quite manageable, but 300+ was causing me big problems. So if I can spread the 400 LYU over double the amount of egg trays, then that number may become manageable.

Hello Angus,
300+ Large Yellow Underwings cause problems, no matter how big your trap is.
lol. But if it is something about the size of a large garden shed it should be sufficient. ;)

Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back