• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Conquest HD compared with Vortex Viper HD? (1 Viewer)

After looking at all the makes and models to pick from on my list of pics the last weeks here or so I see to many with diopter & focus problems. I do not want anything to do with those problems . They should be right before they ever get to retail. I can see it as a problem one time or another but that is not the case,not for 2150.00 or a little less. I think I will go with Vortex,they are in my own back yard and will be good enough.Having not looked through any super high end glass before I least I will not know what I am missing.

Hi, If you get the chance try out the minox hg mig 8x33. IMO these were slightly better than the conquest hd optically.

Regards Gerard.

"Das echte Problem ist jedoch die Fokussierung: Bewegt man den Mitteltrieb, so kann es vorkommen, dass das Bild auf einem Tubus nicht mehr richtig scharf ist und man an der Dioptrienverstellung nachregeln muss. Offenbar verkippen die beiden Fokussierlinsen gegeneinander. Dabei handelte es sich auch nicht um ein Montagsglas, denn Frank Schaefer hat denselben Effekt an einem anderen Exemplar ebenfalls beobachtet.
Nun sollte man wissen, dass dieser Mitteltrieb einige Superlative aufweist: Ein sehr kurzer Nahpunkt von 1.5m, eine sehr schnelle Uebersetzung (von 3m auf Unendlich in 180 Grad, schneller als alle Uebersetzungen, die ich zuvor gemessen habe), und zudem ist auch das Gehaeuse recht kurz - es bleibt also wenig Platz fuer den Fokussierhub. Also war man sicher dazu gezwungen, die Brechkraft der Fokussierlinsen hoch anzusetzen, was fuer das Verschieben sehr kleine Toleranzen bedeutet, und bei der schnellen Uebersetzung wohl nicht zu bewaeltigen war. "
(Holger Merlitz on the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32)
http://www.juelich-bonn.com/jForum/read.php?9,418587,418593#msg-418593

That sounds like the same problem he had with his 8x32 FL. I also had this problem with my first sample Nikon 8x32 HG, however, I assumed the problem was with my eyes. That is, the fast focuser and the very shallow apparent depth of field gave such as thin "slice of life" that when I moved from one birding distance to another, I had to reset the diopter.

However, after reading Holger's comments on the diopter readjustment needed after focusing with his 8x32 FL and now the Conquest HD, I think I might have been experiencing the same mechanical problem with the first sample HG. With my second sample HG, which had a more precise focuser, the diopter didn't require nearly as much resetting as the first sample.

<B>

After looking at all the makes and models to pick from on my list of pics the last weeks here or so I see to many with diopter & focus problems. I do not want anything to do with those problems . They should be right before they ever get to retail. I can see it as a problem one time or another but that is not the case,not for 2150.00 or a little less. I think I will go with Vortex,they are in my own back yard and will be good enough.Having not looked through any super high end glass before I least I will not know what I am missing.

Mechanical problems because of to narrow marketing-limitations would put me off, too. After havingread the above by HM, the oh-so-desirable (price and quality) Conquest HD lost all its charme.

Mechanical problems because of to narrow marketing-limitations would put me off, too. After havingread the above by HM, the oh-so-desirable (price and quality) Conquest HD lost all its charme.

There are dozens of very positive assessments here for the HD, and a few negative. I wouldn't jump to conclusions, especially as this site tends to be a repository for problems with bins - just check out the Prime HD thread and you would think every Prime was flawed when it was probably just a small percentage.

A friend has an HD and he loves it.

I have tried several ConqHDs too and didn't encounter any issues like this at all. Focusing on close objects or distant ones the action was smooth and accurate.

Lee

Sample variation happens at all levels, unfortunately. Plus, the Conquest HD is a new line, so like any new product, the manufacturer doesn't find out what issues develop until they are in many people's hands. This bug will eventually be worked out, but the early adopters are the ones who have to deal with them when they appear.

I liked the view through the 8x32 HG enough to try a second sample, and the focuser was much better, though still quite fast, less than 1/2 turn from cf to infinity. Sure it "gets on the bird" quickly, but the problem then was getting the bird in sharpest focus. I learned to overshoot my target and toggle back to achieve sharp focus. But ultimately, it was the poor fit for my hands more than the fast focuser that caused me to trade the bin.

Lesson Learned: I don't like bins with ultra fast focusers or midsized closed bridge roofs (not enough "real estate"). Give me a focuser with at least a turn and a quarter, preferably a turn and a half from cf to ∞, and with roofs, either an "open bridge" design or an "open hinge" design. Not a great selection of those to choose from at the midsized level.

<B>

"......with roofs, either an "open bridge" design or an "open hinge" design. Not a great selection of those to choose from at the midsized level...."

The 7x42 Dialyt looks better everyday.....

I know this thread is a little old, but for anyone reading it from the archive, I'd like to point out a major difference between the Vortex 8x32 Viper HD and the Zeiss 8x32 Conquest HD. The minimum interpupillary setting for the Vortex is a very poor 59 mm, whereas the Zeiss is among the best in class at 52 mm. This spec is relevant for anyone with narrow IPD or who adjusts the IPD narrower than "usual" when using these bins at the close distances they are capable of (<5 ft), as when watching butterflies.

--AP

I know this thread is a little old, but for anyone reading it from the archive, I'd like to point out a major difference between the Vortex 8x32 Viper HD and the Zeiss 8x32 Conquest HD. The minimum interpupillary setting for the Vortex is a very poor 59 mm, whereas the Zeiss is among the best in class at 52 mm. This spec is relevant for anyone with narrow IPD or who adjusts the IPD narrower than "usual" when using these bins at the close distances they are capable of (<5 ft), as when watching butterflies.

--AP

Good point Alex and one that is often overlooked.

Lee

I've owned both. I think the Vortex Viper is a fantastic binocular for the money, but the Conquest is clearly better - better resolution and better build quality. They are both top in their class. If it were me, I would save up for the Conquest - you will have it for a long time. I have had zero problems with the diopter or the fast focus. The only possible issue with the Conquests are blackouts - and I find if you pull the eyecups out two clicks they are fine. It is the only downside on them for me - the Vipers are a bit easier to deal with in that regard.

Using the Conquests a lot on vacation right now and my regard for them keeps growing - they are superb binoculars.

...I think the Vortex Viper is a fantastic binocular for the money, but the Conquest is clearly better - better resolution and better build quality. They are both top in their class. If it were me, I would save up for the Conquest - you will have it for a long time. I have had zero problems with the diopter or the fast focus. The only possible issue with the Conquests are blackouts - and I find if you pull the eyecups out two clicks they are fine. It is the only downside on them for me - the Vipers are a bit easier to deal with in that regard.

Using the Conquests a lot on vacation right now and my regard for them keeps growing - they are superb binoculars.

Several month ago I bought the Conquest HD 8x32 and I think, for the money, it really is a very good binocular, but from my own experience I can say that blackouts are not
the "only possible issue" you might have with them.
I got pretty much used to the finicky eye placement. For me, the first click position is the best, without glasses.

But, the first sample I got from the dealer was misaligned (decollimated?), the second sample was/is good in this regard.
Only this one has slack in the focus , a few millimeters of free play when turning direction.
In addition, often I have to focus from right to left, counterclockwise, otherwise only one of the barrels is sharp. The other isn´t.

Will be sending it in, a second time. The first time it wasn´t fixed.

I´m not saying that this is a bad binocular. The quality of view is very good and the ergonomics are almost perfect for me.
It´s just that there might be more sample variation and quality issues than people realize.

I've owned both. I think the Vortex Viper is a fantastic binocular for the money, but the Conquest is clearly better - better resolution and better build quality. They are both top in their class. If it were me, I would save up for the Conquest - you will have it for a long time. I have had zero problems with the diopter or the fast focus. The only possible issue with the Conquests are blackouts - and I find if you pull the eyecups out two clicks they are fine. It is the only downside on them for me - the Vipers are a bit easier to deal with in that regard.

Hi,
I have a 8x32 conquest hd that i've just started playing with, and i had a viper non-hd 6x32 for a short while a few months back. I plan to post some comments on the conquest after more time with it. It seems to be growing on me with each use. So far i don't see the focus problem or the diopter readjustment issues mentioned. The eyecups don't fit me as well as those on my 7x36 eaglet and i have experienced some blackout when panning. I'm more impressed with the zeiss than the vortex, but there is a sizable price jump between the two. I could probably get by with either and be content.

CG

Hi,
I have a 8x32 conquest hd that i've just started playing with, and i had a viper non-hd 6x32 for a short while a few months back. I plan to post some comments on the conquest after more time with it. It seems to be growing on me with each use. So far i don't see the focus problem or the diopter readjustment issues mentioned. The eyecups don't fit me as well as those on my 7x36 eaglet and i have experienced some blackout when panning. I'm more impressed with the zeiss than the vortex, but there is a sizable price jump between the two. I could probably get by with either and be content.

CG

I too have a Viper HD 8x32 and have decided that it is a great all-round bino for me--the price for a Conquest of the same magnification and the improvement (while probably notable) is not enough for me.

However, I've tentatively decided to upgrade my Altas Opics Intrepid 10x42s with a Conquest HD (a view through them at an upcoming Optics show will be needed). So if there are any owners of that model here who can comment, I'd appreciate it.

BTW: one of the things that definitely made an impression on me (much to my surprise) was the toe-curling, funny, yet scary destruction test video that is now getting bid on at *Bay (for over $542 right now!) :eek!:

Last edited:
I too have a Viper HD 8x32 and have decided that it is a great all-round bino for me--the price for a Conquest of the same magnification and the improvement (while probably notable) is not enough for me.

However, I've tentatively decided to upgrade my Altas Opics Intrepid 10x42s with a Conquest HD (a view through them at an upcoming Optics show will be needed). So if there are any owners of that model here who can comment, I'd appreciate it.

BTW: one of the things that definitely made an impression on me (much to my surprise) was the toe-curling, funny, yet scary destruction test video that is now getting bid on at *Bay (for over $542 right now!) :eek!:

Torture them like the video ( minus shooting them) and send them in for repairs for the focuser and eyecups will be pricey, Vortex would be no charge. Just sayin....

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back