• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SF 42 & 32 Brief Comparisons (2 Viewers)

Nethero

Very recently I purchased an 8x32 Victory SF off of the classifieds here on BF. I have been using a 10x42 SF for the last three years and used to have the 8x42 as well.

Previously (briefly) I had handled one 8x32 SF and had some concerns about their size and comfort to hold. I’m not very tall but seem to have larger hands than most but decided to see how the SF 32’s handled (again). I also bought a 10x32 SF from Eurooptic to compare all of them and see which I preferred the most

Well to get to the point, they might be a long 32mm optic but they still don’t work for me which is a shame because their smaller form factor was the huge selling point! My palms measure 4.25” wide (10.8cm) and I found the 32 SF a bit uncomfortable to hold. I can get my pinky, ring, and middle finger into the opening between the bridges but they are cramped and it is not a hold I would want to do very often and for long. Needless to say I am the person who can never have a 32mm MeoStar or Ultravid because of how small they are, and apparently the SF’s too.

So I will stick to the 10x42 SF and still want for nothing (maybe something a bit smaller!).

Also, I did a few comparisons in case others out there find these interesting.

The 8x32 and 10x32 SF’s are definitely top tier despite the smaller objective. The 10x32 SF’s are as bright as $1000 10x42mm optics. Directly compared to a Leupold Golden Ring HD 10x42 and a Vortex Razor HD 10x42 (both Japanese) the 10x32 SF’s are just as bright and show just as much detail at night. The 8x32 is the brightest of the four, but obviously has lower magnification, wider FOV, and physics on its side . It really does speak volumes for “alpha” optics. However, as can be seen in the photos, the 32mm SF is as large as the 42mm Razor HD so that might sway some. At night the 8x32 SF is as bright as the 10x42 which would be expected given the exit pupil sizes.

During daylight observation the 10x42 SF and both 32 mm SF’s are all equally bright. I will say that I think the newer SF’s might show more contrast than the older 42 SF’s. I haven’t tried the new SFL’s so I don’t know how they compare but I wonder two things: is Zeiss applying the same coatings to the SFL’s and SF’s now (SFL’s are touted as having good color representation) and do the newer 42mm SF’s show more contrast like the 32mm ones seem to?

Needless to say I am still a huge fan of the SF line and still highly recommend them. Also, I don’t wear glasses and did not have any eye placement issues with any SF, even the 10x32.

Attachments

• 315379CD-9036-4D05-9134-8EE9C0ACB8A2.jpeg
    315379CD-9036-4D05-9134-8EE9C0ACB8A2.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 103
The photo shows scale very well how size varies by model. Wait.....sacrilege...,is that a Swaro strap on a Zeiss SF. LOL.
🤦🏼‍♂️🤣

And a Meopta strap on a Vortex!

With all of the added bells and whistles that Swarovski is known for, I think their straps with the quick adjustments are actually the best.

I simply don’t understand why others don’t do the same. Swarovski basically copied Zeiss SF’s focus wheel for the NL, I’m waiting for them to at least copy the strap adjustment!

Very recently I purchased an 8x32 Victory SF off of the classifieds here on BF. I have been using a 10x42 SF for the last three years and used to have the 8x42 as well.

Previously (briefly) I had handled one 8x32 SF and had some concerns about their size and comfort to hold. I’m not very tall but seem to have larger hands than most but decided to see how the SF 32’s handled (again). I also bought a 10x32 SF from Eurooptic to compare all of them and see which I preferred the most

Well to get to the point, they might be a long 32mm optic but they still don’t work for me which is a shame because their smaller form factor was the huge selling point! My palms measure 4.25” wide (10.8cm) and I found the 32 SF a bit uncomfortable to hold. I can get my pinky, ring, and middle finger into the opening between the bridges but they are cramped and it is not a hold I would want to do very often and for long. Needless to say I am the person who can never have a 32mm MeoStar or Ultravid because of how small they are, and apparently the SF’s too.

So I will stick to the 10x42 SF and still want for nothing (maybe something a bit smaller!).

Also, I did a few comparisons in case others out there find these interesting.

The 8x32 and 10x32 SF’s are definitely top tier despite the smaller objective. The 10x32 SF’s are as bright as $1000 10x42mm optics. Directly compared to a Leupold Golden Ring HD 10x42 and a Vortex Razor HD 10x42 (both Japanese) the 10x32 SF’s are just as bright and show just as much detail at night. The 8x32 is the brightest of the four, but obviously has lower magnification, wider FOV, and physics on its side . It really does speak volumes for “alpha” optics. However, as can be seen in the photos, the 32mm SF is as large as the 42mm Razor HD so that might sway some. At night the 8x32 SF is as bright as the 10x42 which would be expected given the exit pupil sizes.

During daylight observation the 10x42 SF and both 32 mm SF’s are all equally bright. I will say that I think the newer SF’s might show more contrast than the older 42 SF’s. I haven’t tried the new SFL’s so I don’t know how they compare but I wonder two things: is Zeiss applying the same coatings to the SFL’s and SF’s now (SFL’s are touted as having good color representation) and do the newer 42mm SF’s show more contrast like the 32mm ones seem to?

Needless to say I am still a huge fan of the SF line and still highly recommend them. Also, I don’t wear glasses and did not have any eye placement issues with any SF, even the 10x32.
Frustrating for you!

Do the 8x32 and 10x32 EL's work for you ergonomically? Unlike you, I do wear glasses, and find that both x32 EL's are sublime, in terms of ease of eye placement and ergonomics. The focusers may be a step behind the SF's and NL's, but apart from that, I cannot fault them. And no, I don't suffer from 'rolling ball'.

And, I'm a fan of the Field Pro strap system, with a preference for EL FP over NL FP.

Frustrating for you!

Do the 8x32 and 10x32 EL's work for you ergonomically? Unlike you, I do wear glasses, and find that both x32 EL's are sublime, in terms of ease of eye placement and ergonomics. The focusers may be a step behind the SF's and NL's, but apart from that, I cannot fault them. And no, I don't suffer from 'rolling ball'.

And, I'm a fan of the Field Pro strap system, with a preference for EL FP over NL FP.
Yes the 32 EL’s worked perfectly. They have just a bit more room between the bridges. I briefly had both 10x32 and 8x32 EL SV and liked both considerably EXCEPT I unfortunately did notice quite a bit of glare in use. I don’t think it was on the level that some people may make it sound but I bothered me enough to seek different optics.

interesting - I agonized over which of the 8x SF"s to buy as well, ultimately deciding on the 8x42, I have the same issue, my hands didn't fit comfortably between the bridges of the 8x32. Same with the 8x42 and 8x32 Swaro EL's, no way I could use them comfortably.

8x42 turned out to be the correct choice for me, as they are one of my favorite instruments for astronomy as well as birds. Instead of an 8x32 I carry some vintage 7x35's when I want something lighter weight. I've been fighting the tempation to pick up some 10x42's SF, so far successfully but it's tough when I see used ones or demo models for sale :)

Yes the 32 EL’s worked perfectly. They have just a bit more room between the bridges. I briefly had both 10x32 and 8x32 EL SV and liked both considerably EXCEPT I unfortunately did notice quite a bit of glare in use. I don’t think it was on the level that some people may make it sound but I bothered me enough to seek different optics.
Understood. I don't personally find the degree of glare to be particularly bothersome, but understand why so many do. I would certainly concede they display more than others (for me particularly apparent when compared side by side with my EDG's).

I have the same issue, my hands didn't fit comfortably between the bridges of the 8x32. Same with the 8x42 and 8x32 Swaro EL's, no way I could use them comfortably.
I had the same experience with the EL 10x42. I couldn't hold them comfortably. That's why I prefer the SLC 42 and the EL 50, especially the latter. Thick and tapered barrels give me a firm and comfortable grip.
The NL 32 is fine too. I don't know about the EL 32. I can imagine they have more space between the barrels than the EL 42 and also more comfortable to hold.

I had the same experience with the EL 10x42. I couldn't hold them comfortably. That's why I prefer the SLC 42 and the EL 50, especially the latter. Thick and tapered barrels give me a firm and comfortable grip.
The NL 32 is fine too. I don't know about the EL 32. I can imagine they have more space between the barrels than the EL 42 and also more comfortable to hold.
The 10x50 EL is intriguing because I figured there would be more length b/w the bridges....but I ended up with 10x56 SLC and now can't justify the EL :) there's even more real estate on the barrels of the 10x56

Users who are viewing this thread

Back