• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Replacement foot for the Nikon 600 mm f/4 VR (1 Viewer)

Anand_Vishwanadha

Hi All,

I am looking to get hold of a replacement foot for my Nikon 600 mm f/4 VR.

I currently use a LensMaster RH-2 Gimbal and am okay with a replacement foot that is just a replacement foot (and needs a lens plate to be screwed onto it) or a replacement foot that eliminates the need for lens plate.

While I have come across plenty of options (Really Right Stuff, Wimberly, etc.) most are priced very high (considering that the foot is just a piece of metal).

Would highly appreciate it if someone can point me to a replacement foot that is not priced as if it is made of gold!

TIA,

Anand

Hi Anand

Not sure what foot is best for Nikon but make sure it is long enough to give you the balance .
I bought a foot for my 600 canon and its too short .

Rob.

£7000 pound for a lens. I wouldn't scrimp on a foot. In the UK there about £80.00. If you were in the UK I've a brand new spare low profile foot for that lens. I was about to advertise it.

£7000 pound for a lens. I wouldn't scrimp on a foot. In the UK there about £80.00. If you were in the UK I've a brand new spare low profile foot for that lens. I was about to advertise it.

It isn't so much about scrimping as it is about being practical :)

BTW, can I know what foot you have, more details please...

Meanwhile I was speaking to a friend who has got hold of the Wimberly replacement foot and he was categorical in saying that he is not happy with it, because it is not long enough, so that around 80$ (or is it 100?) gone poof in his case.

hmm, I like practicality but not if a foot thats half the price fails. I use the wimberley foot, its an AP-452 which is fine on my wimberley head, its long enough to balance with a body and batt pack plus a convertor, its also long enough for me to balance the same but with a very light Nikon 1 attached. I've never had a problem, make sure your friend has the right foot for that lens.
The brand new foot I have which came unattached with my lens is the Kirk LP-46 which is the same length and profile as the wimberley, it sells for £71.00 in the UK so would happily sell for £50.00 as its unused and comes with the 4 allan screws and allan key.

Last edited:
As the OP states that he is OK with an add-on plate while keeping the existing foot, then something like the Wimberly P50 should fill the bill. As Duke L. kindly implies, there are advantages to replacing the entire foot, but at $58.00 US, the P50 should get you going. Replacing the entire foot is obviously more expensive.

One thing about adding an adapter like the P50 is that it won't be too short to balance the lens. You also can reposition the plate, since the screws are in a slot, so it will work.

I wouldn't go with the cheapest option to support such a fantastic optic, but that's just me...

regards,

Jim

Agree Jim. The problem with a plate is that it adds an extra layer on an already overly tall foot from Nikon.

Hi Duke L,

My friend has been photographing birds for quite sometime and I am sure he would know more about replacement feet than me. Will share your inputs with him though, thanks :)

Hi Duke L,

Your offer seems very tempting (though I am not in the UK) however the key would be the length of the foot, not only because it will affect balancing on the gimbal but also because I need to hold the lens by the foot when lugging it around...could you let me know how long it is? I visited the link you shared but did not find the info there.

Warm Regards,

Anand

Hi Jim,

You got me wrong :)

I already have an excellent plate that came with my Lensmaster gimbal (with which I am pretty happy).

The tripod I use isn't exactly "rock solid" but then I am managing pretty fine with it too. I would like to do away with the current lens foot (the one my 600 mm f/4 vr came with).

Hope this clarifies :)

Cheers,

Anand

the replacement feet are designed as a handhold, the one I have spare is the same length as the original, I suggest that you visit the manufacturers website if you need confirmation

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back