• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help! Sand in Eyecups.... (1 Viewer)

T&E

I have a pair of Leica Trinovid 8 x 42 BA Binoculars, which got sand in the eyecups while on holiday last week. The eyecups are the push down/pull up type (as opposed to twist up & down.)

Is there any way of removing the eyecups, so that I can use a fine brush to remove the sand?

Any suggestions/tips gratefully received.

Mnay thanks,

Terry.

Terry, are these waterproof? if so, rinsing them under the tap may be better than brushing out the sand? I know Leica don't use lubricants, so you wouldn't wash any away. I have rinsed muck off waterproof binoculars before, but I'm not totally certain on whether this is a good thing to do, so best wait and hopefully others may comment.

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your reply. I didn`t know that Leica don`t use lubricants. Not sure if they are waterproof or not, I think they should be.
The sand seems to have gone down under the eye-cup tube that pushes up & down to adjust for spectacles.
I`m hoping not to have to send them away......

Terry.

I have a pair of Leica Trinovid 8 x 42 BA Binoculars, which got sand in the eyecups while on holiday last week. The eyecups are the push down/pull up type (as opposed to twist up & down.)

Is there any way of removing the eyecups, so that I can use a fine brush to remove the sand?

Any suggestions/tips gratefully received.

Mnay thanks,

Terry.
See
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=45777
Read garymh near the bottom (two posts)

The BA is waterproof, but mine came with a sheet advising against shooting water on the lenses forcefully. Instead, it said, immerse in still water. I did that for cleaning mine a number of times when it was really dirty, and never had a problem.

If it was mine, I'd immerse the eyecup upside down in a sink of water, and work the eyecups up and down in hopes the sand would come out. If not, then off to Leica it's gotta go. Hope you have a spare, it took them almost a month when I last sent one in.

Ron

My old faithful Leica 8x32 BNs have the same continuous draw out eyecups - they used to bother me the first years because I'd have to keep fiddling with them to keep them half way up, which was my sweet spot. Then one day, I got a bit of sand in them and now, though a bit crunchy, they stay in the right place!

I got sand in one of the eyecups of my 8x50 Trinovids, and had to send them in to Leica service to be cleaned. It was covered under the lifetime warranty the Trinovids came with, but if you bought yours used, you can call Leica and ask them how much they would charge to remove the sand. It shouldn't be too expensive. When I got my binoculars back, both eyecups had been cleaned and adjusted, and the tension of the focus knob had been adjusted as well. The eyecups clicked out after the adjustment, and the focuser had a little more resistance, which was an improvement. They almost seemed like new binoculars. Maybe you'll get lucky and Leica will do a quick overhaul of your binoculars too.

Have you considered using an "air duster"? These are basically an aerosol can filled with sterile compressed air. They only cost a couple of pounds (4 bucks) and would gently blow any sand out for you. Please remember to use safety goggles though, as the sand may blow up towards your face :)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back