• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trinovid BN 8x50s (1 Viewer)

quincy88

I recently won a pair of 8x50s from the auction site for cheap. They were dirty and stinky with smudged lenses.
I cleaned up the exterior with soap and water, compressed air, and wet wipes. They had fine sand in the focuser and in the eyecups which made their operation somewhat rough. I've managed to completely restore smoothness to the focus wheel, which now is about as light and smooth as any Leica focus wheel I have used. The eyecups are still a bit rough, but have improved considerably and are now fully functional. The rubber armor is now apparently almost new with very little signs of wear.
They've been out of their original case for about a week, and their musty odor is almost totally gone. The case is still very stinky and I doubt I'll ever be able to use it again. I've ordered a new Ultravid case for them, so they will live in that from now on. It is a shame though, the old leather case is so nice - I may try to restore it if I can find the time.
I used Zeiss's pre-packaged lens wipes to clean the lenses. The ocular lenses have cleaned up very nicely and are free of scratches. The objective lenses had some strange residue on them that has mostly been removed after several cleanings. There are a couple of minor scratches and blemishes in the coating on the objective lenses, but nothing that I can see while using them.
Now, onto the good stuff. These binoculars are wonderful. A real pleasure to use.
These have my favorite color of any pair of binoculars I have used. If the saturation dial was turned up to 10 on my 7x42 Ultravid HD+s then the its cranked to 11 on my 8x50 BNs. When viewing through them the world takes on that dream-like quality that makes Leicas so special.
In full daylight (both sunny and overcast conditions) they are not the absolute brightest binoculars that I have used, but still they are very bright with excellent contrast. I haven't tested them out much in the twilight hours yet when the 6.25mm exit pupil could really flex its muscles.
There is a great three dimensionality to the image - I can perceive which objects are in front and which objects are behind. Also, the field is quite deep.
The field of view is on the narrow side, as is often a demerit when talking about Leica's 8x50s. I don't mind too much though. The Trinovids make up for it with some other qualities, and the view is big in its own way.
The ergonomics are very good. I really like holding them and looking through them. I went on two hikes with them this weekend, each about 7 hours. They did get too heavy on my neck half way through the second day, so I took the strap off and carried them in my hands - switching left to right if I got tired. They fit my hands well and are a pleasure to carry.
A pleasant surprise: the original ocular lens cover came with them and it is the best one I've seen. Thick, soft rubber with a lot of coverage. Higher quality than I've found these days.
Eye relief is generous, and I haven't had any problems whatsoever using them while wearing my sunglasses. I am getting to be a real baby about it so I wear sunglasses on most days, but I do not require corrective lenses, so I may not be a reliable source on this if you are someone who actually needs glasses.
These are a contender for being one of my favorite binoculars ever, only time will tell. And I got them for a great price. I'm very happy. I'll share some photos of them next to some others in the style of chill6x6 when I have some time.

I recently won a pair of 8x50s from the auction site for cheap. They were dirty and stinky with smudged lenses.
I cleaned up the exterior with soap and water, compressed air, and wet wipes. They had fine sand in the focuser and in the eyecups which made their operation somewhat rough. I've managed to completely restore smoothness to the focus wheel, which now is about as light and smooth as any Leica focus wheel I have used. The eyecups are still a bit rough, but have improved considerably and are now fully functional. The rubber armor is now apparently almost new with very little signs of wear.
They've been out of their original case for about a week, and their musty odor is almost totally gone. The case is still very stinky and I doubt I'll ever be able to use it again. I've ordered a new Ultravid case for them, so they will live in that from now on. It is a shame though, the old leather case is so nice - I may try to restore it if I can find the time.
I used Zeiss's pre-packaged lens wipes to clean the lenses. The ocular lenses have cleaned up very nicely and are free of scratches. The objective lenses had some strange residue on them that has mostly been removed after several cleanings. There are a couple of minor scratches and blemishes in the coating on the objective lenses, but nothing that I can see while using them.
Now, onto the good stuff. These binoculars are wonderful. A real pleasure to use.
These have my favorite color of any pair of binoculars I have used. If the saturation dial was turned up to 10 on my 7x42 Ultravid HD+s then the its cranked to 11 on my 8x50 BNs. When viewing through them the world takes on that dream-like quality that makes Leicas so special.
In full daylight (both sunny and overcast conditions) they are not the absolute brightest binoculars that I have used, but still they are very bright with excellent contrast. I haven't tested them out much in the twilight hours yet when the 6.25mm exit pupil could really flex its muscles.
There is a great three dimensionality to the image - I can perceive which objects are in front and which objects are behind. Also, the field is quite deep.
The field of view is on the narrow side, as is often a demerit when talking about Leica's 8x50s. I don't mind too much though. The Trinovids make up for it with some other qualities, and the view is big in its own way.
The ergonomics are very good. I really like holding them and looking through them. I went on two hikes with them this weekend, each about 7 hours. They did get too heavy on my neck half way through the second day, so I took the strap off and carried them in my hands - switching left to right if I got tired. They fit my hands well and are a pleasure to carry.
A pleasant surprise: the original ocular lens cover came with them and it is the best one I've seen. Thick, soft rubber with a lot of coverage. Higher quality than I've found these days.
Eye relief is generous, and I haven't had any problems whatsoever using them while wearing my sunglasses. I am getting to be a real baby about it so I wear sunglasses on most days, but I do not require corrective lenses, so I may not be a reliable source on this if you are someone who actually needs glasses.
These are a contender for being one of my favorite binoculars ever, only time will tell. And I got them for a great price. I'm very happy. I'll share some photos of them next to some others in the style of chill6x6 when I have some time.
Well done! It is always nice to hear of some classic glass coming back to rewarding life when given expert TLC.
I'm especially impressed that you managed to get the focuser free from infiltrated sand and grit. Would you please expand on that part of your refurbishment?

Well done! It is always nice to hear of some classic glass coming back to rewarding life when given expert TLC.
I'm especially impressed that you managed to get the focuser free from infiltrated sand and grit. Would you please expand on that part of your refurbishment?
Thanks etudiant.
Sure. That was mostly done using an air compressor and pistol-grip air blower like the one in the screenshot attached. With the pistol-grip style the airflow is variable, so if you squeeze the trigger all the way then the air is full on, but if you squeeze it only a little then only a little air flows. My compressor regulator was set to around 120psi. I carefully blew air into all the little nooks and crannies. I was able to rotate the wheel and blow it out and rotate and blow... I did this over a couple of days. I would use them for a few hours, then blow it out again.

Attachments

• Pistol Grip Air Blower.PNG
    Pistol Grip Air Blower.PNG
    69 KB · Views: 6
The case is still very stinky and I doubt I'll ever be able to use it again.
Try leaving it out in full sun for a few hours, flipping it over and inside out. That works wonders on synthetics, so worth a try on leather... or maybe a leather cleaner would do the trick. The way the Napa case works with the BA/BN armor and ocular cover is really clever; the case/cover just stuff into a pocket.

Congrats on your new acquisition - glad they cleaned up so well and hope they'll give you many years of good service. And it's even more enjoyable to use a high quality binocular when you know you got it cheap!

Thanks etudiant.
Sure. That was mostly done using an air compressor and pistol-grip air blower like the one in the screenshot attached. With the pistol-grip style the airflow is variable, so if you squeeze the trigger all the way then the air is full on, but if you squeeze it only a little then only a little air flows. My compressor regulator was set to around 120psi. I carefully blew air into all the little nooks and crannies. I was able to rotate the wheel and blow it out and rotate and blow... I did this over a couple of days. I would use them for a few hours, then blow it out again.
Really nice.
Using a quality compressor and controllable nozzle was an inspired fix. Really excellent that it has worked out so well.
While that is not routine gear for most optics shops, you've set a high bar for would be binocular rescuers.

Try leaving it out in full sun for a few hours, flipping it over and inside out. That works wonders on synthetics, so worth a try on leather... or maybe a leather cleaner would do the trick. The way the Napa case works with the BA/BN armor and ocular cover is really clever; the case/cover just stuff into a pocket.
Thanks for the tip tenex. I’ll give that a try.

The case is still very stinky and I doubt I'll ever be able to use it again. I've ordered a new Ultravid case for them, so they will live in that from now on. It is a shame though, the old leather case is so nice - I may try to restore it if I can find the time.
Don't give up on the case just because of smelliness, as that will pass with time. Case in point, I've got a house that was filled with cat smell that seemed would never go, but after enough time, I can't tell there was ever a cat in the house. If time can fix that, it can definitely fix your Leica bag. The more UV it gets the sooner it'll be good again.

Attached are some photos of my 8x50s among some others. Really one of the best looking 50mm roofs ever. Light was a bit difficult so I had to settle for the stone and mortar background rather than a landscape as I had hoped. Poorly plagiarizing the work of chill6x6 - thanks for the inspiration.

Attachments

• P5181633.JPG
    P5181633.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 63
  • P5181634.JPG
    P5181634.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 63
  • P5181635.JPG
    P5181635.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 64
Gosh, fantastic, love this. To me the BNs and FLs are usable bin legacy that should be treasured. I just happened to be out for a short migration today - grabbed my 8x32 BNs - found a Wilson's Warbler lurking in the neighbor's trees - terrific pure view - it made my day.

Still regretting I didn't buy those 7x42 BNs that were recently for sale here.

I would strongly suggest a harness - I love my Rick Young's...they are great. Will help a lot with weight.

Gosh, fantastic, love this. To me the BNs and FLs are usable bin legacy that should be treasured. I just happened to be out for a short migration today - grabbed my 8x32 BNs - found a Wilson's Warbler lurking in the neighbor's trees - terrific pure view - it made my day.

Still regretting I didn't buy those 7x42 BNs that were recently for sale here.

I would strongly suggest a harness - I love my Rick Young's...they are great. Will help a lot with weight.
Thanks B-lilja. Yeah, those FLs are also new to me also. I haven't really gotten to know them yet, and I'm planning on doing a similar thread once I get the chance.
Nice! We have Wilson's Warblers here too. Love seeing those little birds. I've been having a really fun time looking for warblers this spring. I'm kind of obsessed with passerines in general right now. Our common warblers are Yellow-Rumped, Wilson's, Townsends, Orange-Crowned, and Yellow. I still haven't seen the Yellow yet this year.
Thanks for the recommendation on the Rick Young's Harness - I haven't tried those ones before.
Thanks for the recommendation Tenex. Its a perfect day, so the case is out sun bathing now. We'll see what happens.

Thanks B-lilja. Yeah, those FLs are also new to me also. I haven't really gotten to know them yet, and I'm planning on doing a similar thread once I get the chance.
Nice! We have Wilson's Warblers here too. Love seeing those little birds. I've been having a really fun time looking for warblers this spring. I'm kind of obsessed with passerines in general right now. Our common warblers are Yellow-Rumped, Wilson's, Townsends, Orange-Crowned, and Yellow. I still haven't seen the Yellow yet this year.
Thanks for the recommendation on the Rick Young's Harness - I haven't tried those ones before.

Thanks for the recommendation Tenex. Its a perfect day, so the case is out sun bathing now. We'll see what happens.
Caught my first Yellow here in Seattle today at the local patch. Heard only! They usually seem to lag.

How exciting to have such fine binoculars respond so well to your decontamination treatment! Having only yesterday repurchased an 8x50 (UVHD Plus flavour, not your BN model) I agree about not finding the narrower field of view much of a problem, and after all you have the 7x42 to deal with that.

I absolutely love this format in Leica and think I can safely say it's the only glass I regret having sold (last year) which is why I finally bought another one. It took me all of one minute after viewing across the hills from the fabulous French window at Ace Optics to know that the new one was a tip-top example and going to be very enjoyable in use.

Good luck and happy birding or other observation, quincy88.

How exciting to have such fine binoculars respond so well to your decontamination treatment! Having only yesterday repurchased an 8x50 (UVHD Plus flavour, not your BN model) I agree about not finding the narrower field of view much of a problem, and after all you have the 7x42 to deal with that.

I absolutely love this format in Leica and think I can safely say it's the only glass I regret having sold (last year) which is why I finally bought another one. It took me all of one minute after viewing across the hills from the fabulous French window at Ace Optics to know that the new one was a tip-top example and going to be very enjoyable in use.

Good luck and happy birding or other observation, quincy88.
Alright SeldomPerched! Hopefully we'll run into each other someday and we can trade for a bit. All this talk of 8x50s in the last few months has been really fun to watch.

To Tenex and Trinovid 8x32b,
Setting my case out in the sun has been helping a lot. The smell is not quite totally gone, but the situation is much improved. I've had it out there for three or four days now, and it's a little better after each day.

You can try the fill with Bicarbonate of Soda, leave a few days then vacumn out trick...
Thanks for the recommendation Richard D. I am going to give that a try also. My hope is restored that the case will return to usefulness before too long.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back