• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crested Tit (1 Viewer)

tyna

Towards the end of last week I saw a Crested Tit on the bird-bath in my garden - when I looked this bird up in a reference book it says that they are normally seen in Scotland. Has anyone else seen one (or more!) in the South Wales area?

Hi tyna,

Are you absolutely sure it was a Crested Tit? As you say, they are normally seen in Scotland, and to the best of my knowledge the "do not visit gardens".

You may well be right, but I think it would be an unusual sight in South Wales...

Wow..that's a really amazing record, they are pretty distinctive little birds....I assume you got a good look at it and saw the crest to eliminate Marsh/Coal/Willow Tits?

I have no idea about occurences south of the border, they are pretty sedentary birds and don't really migrate...there is probably as much chance of an English (or Welsh..sorry) record originating from the continent as from Scotland.
A bird turned up on the Isle of Mull last year, well away from their normal range, so they obviously do move.
You should submit it to your local recorder certainly it's quite an important sighting.

Out of interest what sort of habitat is your garden in/near? Is it near an area of conifers/pines.
I ask because Scottish birds are almost exclusively associated with Pine Woods but continental birds are often less particular.

JP

Last edited:
birdman said:
Hi tyna,

Are you absolutely sure it was a Crested Tit? As you say, they are normally seen in Scotland, and to the best of my knowledge the "do not visit gardens".

You may well be right, but I think it would be an unusual sight in South Wales...

Not sure where you are quoting the "do not visit gardens" from but Cresties certainly often frequent village gardens around Speyside. They can be regular visitors to both bird tables and peanut feeders, often some distance away from the forest. Am sure the one on Mull was only spotted because it was in a garden.

JP

Fair enough, JP... I made the mistake of quoting from memory, but as I don't even remember the source, that's probably not that brightest bit of help I given!

Still a great sighting in Wales though, eh?

Maybe a wise move to alert your local bird group or maybe a birding friend, who then can give confirmation as crested tit.You never know it may come back :h?: and anything is possible, but it would be very unusual in Wales.

Even better grab somebody with a digi camera and post it on this site!!

Stuart

There are only a small handful of records in England and it may never have been recorded in Wales before so very noteworthy and certainly worth trying to get a photo of if it reappears.

Dave

I am fairly certain that it was a Crested Tit, as the crest was quite distinctive. I did not have time to grab the camera - he was only there a short time, and I have not seen him since, but I have now kept the camera to hand, so if I do see him again I will try and take a photo to confirm identification. The garden backs on to an area of a mixture of trees, including pines / conifers. The trees are at one side of the house too. It is not a dense forest - just planting to buffer the houses from a science park. I have a couple of feeding stations in the garden, so hopefully he may come back. Many of the other members of the Tit familes visit the garden - Great Tit, Blue Tit, Long Tailed Tit and Coal Tit.

'Do you know where those records were, Godwit?'

Jason,

I think there are records from Kent, NW and NE England, perhaps others...

The 1992 BOU British List has, in addition to the Scottish subspecies, both the Scandinavian and west/central European races listed.

Dave

birdman said:
to the best of my knowledge the "do not visit gardens".

Hi, just to agree with a poster from Scotland, Crested Tits are regular at my feeders here in Lithuania - occasionally on the nut-feeders, often foraging below, and happy to nip in out to grab sunflower seeds from that feeder. Also use the bird bath.

One pair (ringed) returns each winter, disperses in the summer, returns again in the autumn.

But, having hailed from South Wales, I certain would have fallen over, backwards if one had ventured into my garden there!!! So, that would be one good record!!!
But why not? If American Robins can hop round Grimsby industrial sites and Baltimore Orioles in Oxford gardens, is it not beyond the realms of fantasy to get a Crested Tit in Wales! Would definately keep that camera handy ...nothing like a photo to hold back the doubters :)

Managed to find my source... which I misquoted!... being the Collins Bird guide, which says that Cresties "do not visit birdtables".

tyna, I hope I didn't cast too much doubt on your sighting, and clearly (he says trying to be delicate) you know your titmice... !

As you can see from the responses above, a very noteworthy event!

Nice One! :t: :t:

birdman said:
Managed to find my source... which I misquoted!... being the Collins Bird guide, which says that Cresties "do not visit birdtables".

tyna, I hope I didn't cast too much doubt on your sighting, and clearly (he says trying to be delicate) you know your titmice... !

As you can see from the responses above, a very noteworthy event!

Nice One! :t: :t:

be careful Dave, it was once said Long Tails weren't found on feeders!!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back