• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need advice re first year nest box (1 Viewer)

Sjh76

United Kingdom
I put up a tit box in late January/ early February. The box is positioned on a wall to the right above the kitchen/ front door. Above the doot and box is balcony which has steps going from the garden level up to the balcony. These steps are very rarely used, especially as now the box is quite close to them.
I looked online and positions to the box at the right height just above 6 feet and it’s facing away from direct sunlight. Also, as it’s under a small balcony the position is very sheltered from the elements.

A few weeks ago, I a great tit entering an exiting the box for a few days I only ever saw one bird. Then approximately two weeks ago, I noticed two blue tits the with moss. I can’t remember, but they might have also carry some moss out of the box.
Then, for a few days, I noticed that there were still 2 blue tits visiting the box but with no nesting material. They were just entering exiting but with nothing in their beaks.
I assumed that this was the same pair of blue tits but for the last few days there has been no activity at the box.
I noticed that the blue tits would be coming to the box regularly between 730 and 830 in the morning. I never saw them any other time.

I’m wondering, as this is the first year the box has gone up whether the great tit and the blue tits were just checking the box out?
I don’t think the height of the box is an issue and the position in terms of the sunlight is correct and it’s pretty sheltered anyway with a direct flight path to the hole.

Maybe the boxes too close to our kitchen door and the birds are disturbed by postman and us arriving and leaving?
Do great tits and blue tits get easily disturbed? They seemed very interested but have suddenly disappeared.
Any thoughts and advice?

Thanks, Scott

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

My very first thought was that the box is too close to the door, especially as it’s in use.

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

My very first thought was that the box is too close to the door, especially as it’s in use.
Thank you for your reply. Yes, that was my thought too. I think the box is too close to the door. There is only two of us living here but that along with postman et cetera it’s possibly too much. I thought it would be okay because a friend had their box positioned almost above the back door to the garden and have kids.

I suppose it would be too late for the year now to reposition the box somewhere else to attract birds this year?

It could be worth a try? Even if it doesn’t get used this year, the birds will be used to its position for next spring.

Hi again,
This morning I saw a blue tit go into the box. I’m stumped now…delighted but confused 😂
I’ve only ever seen activity around the box between the hours of 7 am and eight 9 am roughly. Is this normal? Is it possible that Blue tits start making an nest, then stop for for a few days and then restart?

I suppose it’s a possibility that this is a new pair of blue tits checking the box out of the first time?
If this is the case though and they find nasty material from the previous birds, what would they do? Would they not start nesting themselves or would they clear out the nesting material and themselves?
Obviously, I’m not going to do anything into the nest until I clean it out in August /September when the season is over.

I’d be really interested if it was advice/thpughts?

Thanks

Scott

I can only share my experience .. i have set DIY bird house & 10 feet from ground & is hanging , with heavy wind also moves, facing east is bird house opening .. but it has some shed of tree branches. I saw few days was very high traffic like each min house build meterial being brough.. i did play with my son in trampoline & even gardener does the sound of machines once a week .. it basically in my backyard so we do go out often ... they seems ok with small disturbance. at this stage like 4 weeks i am seeing them .. my guess is now the egg must have been layed & yes these are blue bird as well in Bay area in CA USA... ( I did share the details in one of the questions here couple of weeks back )

Then i have other house where titmouse raise family for last 2 times.. this one is attached to & under the shed of the house roof .. that to me is more safe & not easily visible I felt ..

hope this helps..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back