• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

red-shouldered hawk or a northern harrier (1 Viewer)

oldtool2

Need help IDing this one. Thanks in advance.

Jim D

Attachments

• IMG_4765-el.jpg
    IMG_4765-el.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_4769-el.jpg
    IMG_4769-el.jpg
    429.7 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_4770-el.jpg
    IMG_4770-el.jpg
    480.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_4774-el.jpg
    IMG_4774-el.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 79
You've got some great shots of a Northern Harrier.The white rump and the 'owl' face are good marks to look for. RSH wouldn't have the white rump. This is a juvenile bird.

Last edited:
I thank you for your quick replies. Northern Harriers are not real common in this area from what I have read. If I am right there were at least two, possibly three, flying in the area. I saw them two days in a row but normally WAY to far off to get decent photos. This one jumped up right in front of me and was past my Jeep in about 2 seconds. I had to grab the camera and get out of the jeep in order to get any shots. Glad he circled so I could get the head on photos.

Jim D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back