• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Med Gull Magic (1 Viewer)

cjay

This morning I walked along the tideline from Pakefield to Kessingland looking for tideline bird corpses, an occupation I take up between the months of November & March. As I alighted the steps to the beach a very low tide & a scoured out beach greeted me. We had recently experienced some storm force easterly winds & it had really tidied the beach up. The Herring boats were landing & I began by searching the Larus flock as the boats were being beached. There were at least 30 black headed Gulls & amongst them sitting on the beach was a nice 1st Winter Mediterranean Gull! I managed to get some good close views before it flew off towards another boat. On the beach some 30 yards away there was a flock of 21 Turnstones busily scampering around a large pile of Bladderwrack, which had been left at the high tide mark.

As I reached the last Groyne there were two more Med Gulls, this time they were both 2nd winters. Not to be out done another 2nd winter bird came to join them. Brilliant! What a grand surprise. Walking further south I disturbed the odd Meadow Pipit & a large flock of 88 Greenfinches.
The walk to Kessingland was un - eventful but at *Crazy Mary’s Hole I found a single Male Snow Bunting. No tideline corpses today either but plenty of moulted bird feathers. One I picked up was bright green. Could this have come from some exotic bird? No just a mallard I’m afraid.

· Mary was a victorian maid in nearby Pakefield Hall. She was due to be married but was jilted at the alter. She ran from the church & sat by the cut in the cliffs & cried until she died.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back