• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (9 Viewers)

On the Sunday 17 May 2009 at 5am, the North Louth branch of Birdwatch Ireland will host National Dawn Chorus Day at Listoke House, Ballymakenny Road, Drogheda, Co Louth. For details on how to get there please phone: 353 (0) 41 983 2265 or see http://gardens.ireland-guide.com/listoke_gardens.garden.7176.html. For details about the event please call Breffni on 087 9145363. We will meet at the car park at 5am and take a walk around the grounds until about 6 or later.

A few seawatching pics at Clogher head today,great skua .

Attachments

• clog gan.jpg
    clog gan.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 64
  • gan 1 birdforum.jpg
    gan 1 birdforum.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 67
  • g skua clog.jpg
    g skua clog.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 80
  • clog s.jpg
    clog s.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 83
Nice bonxie! I had an arctic and lit gull off greystones yesterday and at 4am on the way to the dawn chorus i had the short eared owl again following the road along willville so he is still around.

Great turnout for the dawn chorus and great location (apart from being very hard to find - sorry about that to anyone who got lost!)

Apparently there are two black necked grebes on lough shark, north of newry...

I'm doing an evening chorus on sunday at rathesker - see birdslough.blogspot.com for details.

very nice - maybe they'll stay and breed - for anyone interested here is a google link for lough shark http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=54.308011,-6.365719&spn=0.020531,0.046778&t=h&z=14 which is also called acton lake. Unfortunately access is difficult but if you part at the entrance about two miles north of poyntzpass and walk down to the tow path (there is a disused canal) to the right, you can get views of the birds. To get close waders will be required...

Has anyone ever noticed Swifts high up in trees. I noticed quite a few playing and flying as they do the other evening near hospital, then following day sat on the carved seat in edge of Daisyhill woods watching at least a dozen of them again darting and playing low enough for ages without landing and that convinced me Swifts plus all brown colour. It was lovely watching them. I saw them flying over my garden several times going to work and then convinced this evening that I saw about six or seven high up in tree nextdoor. It was there odd behaviour of lying against the outside leaves of the tree and not perched the way birds usually do that drew my attention to them. Then with binoculars I could see the odd looking brown black slanted eyes and very dark beaks with wings partly open mostly and hunched together. I just think its unusual to see them in a tree but maybe I am wrong and think the way they were in the tree odd and as if not used to being in trees.
I also saw about seven of the really large Woodpigeons with long necks and white on side of neck sitting together on telegraph pole nearby. Saw a beautiful well bigger than sparrow mostly creamy/brown sort of speckled on side of bird hopping along with large amount of white on right and left of the end of tail very noticeable, no idea what that hopped back into woods too. I thought it a Song thrush or juvenile Mistle thrush but not sure if they hop.

Hi Dolce

If you are not sure if they are swifts, listen for their unmistakable screaming calls. In fact, the collective noun for swifts is not "a flock of swifts" but "a scream of swifts"! Click "play" here to listen to them http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/s/swift/index.asp
To my knowledge, swifts never rest in trees. Some never return to earth after they leave the nest; eating, drinking, sleeping and mating in the air. They also live quite long for such a small bird - average 9 years, but a bird was found in Switzerland that was ringed 21 years previous! So you can imagine what milage they can clock up in a lifetime.
However, your description does sound like them, in particular the eyes, which are as you described. Apart from nightjars (if there were 6 or 7 of these in your neighbours tree, we'd all be there!), I cannot think what else they might be.
Seems to be more woodpigeon around this year than previously (my observations anyway).
Your last bird is probably a mistle thrush. The amount of white on the sides of the tail can vary on different birds.

Hi Dolce

If you are not sure if they are swifts, listen for their unmistakable screaming calls. In fact, the collective noun for swifts is not "a flock of swifts" but "a scream of swifts"! Click "play" here to listen to them http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/s/swift/index.asp
To my knowledge, swifts never rest in trees. Some never return to earth after they leave the nest; eating, drinking, sleeping and mating in the air. They also live quite long for such a small bird - average 9 years, but a bird was found in Switzerland that was ringed 21 years previous! So you can imagine what milage they can clock up in a lifetime.
However, your description does sound like them, in particular the eyes, which are as you described. Apart from nightjars (if there were 6 or 7 of these in your neighbours tree, we'd all be there!), I cannot think what else they might be.
Seems to be more woodpigeon around this year than previously (my observations anyway).
Your last bird is probably a mistle thrush. The amount of white on the sides of the tail can vary on different birds.

I had two in tree again this morning briefly and can see white patch under neck and odd brown eyes so distinctive clearly but from studying book noticing Crag Martins not unlike Swifts and now think thats what they are. They swoop flying out of the tree exactly like Swifts but fly sideways down towards sea from angle I am sitting at so I didnt notice no forked tail as only side view of tail. I wonder would it be more common to see Crag Martins in trees because definitely one or the other as no-one could mistake odd looking eyes and face. I will listen today but Swifts are definitely flying low around here too especially in the evenings.
I also have Rock Sparrows, anyone know if they are common. I have one little mite coming to the back door daily for seeds and can so clearly see the bright peach line coming straight out of eye and even saw the yellow spot high up on neck and vaguely streaked chest too. They are very dainty lovely birds. Today a Dunnock came to near patio doors too for seeds which is unusual too but I was sort of hidden behind a darkish curtain.

Here are some pictures finally of my tropical bird as I have named him. He appeared again a few weeks past evenings only alone when light going down. This week started to go on feeders occasionally during day too although likes to feed alone. Finally got pictures today but as I crept closer he kept looking around hense slightly blurred pictures. I wonder where is his partner with the pale pink and white on chest and even nicer face. You can see the massive pale beak in first picture, black around eyes and gorgeous design of black down his back. What on earth is he ? not sure why I think he is the male. I think you can the startling bright colour of the green on him too even down the tail although more obvious in real life.

Attachments

• Bird with bright green 008.jpg
    Bird with bright green 008.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 54
  • Bird with bright green 004.jpg
    Bird with bright green 004.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Bird with bright green 005.jpg
    Bird with bright green 005.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Bird with bright green 006.jpg
    Bird with bright green 006.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Bird with bright green 007.jpg
    Bird with bright green 007.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 62
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back