• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anything new or different on your local patch. (1 Viewer)

Colin at Dereham

Sedentary species
I'm writing this to see if there's an interest in a thread on general bird populations in the East Anglian region. Reports dont have to refer to anything especially rare or be based on particularly rigorous recording methods, but rather anything locally noteworthy that just might reflect a wider pattern, either a seasonal event or longer term trend. Hopefully, it could be a relaxed freindly thread about the rich birdlife of East Anglia.

Ideally, to start this thread I should have some recent interesting news from my local patch, but unfortunately, it has been rather flat here this week. At the moment I am restricted to the arable land around Dereham in mid-Norfolk. All I can offer is a small increase in meadow pipits on the 16th, and an immature marsh harrier on the 11th. The latter arrived from the north, and departed eastwards along the Tud valley, perhaps a bird from the North Norfolk coast exploring further afield?

I'm sure there are others with more to report. Any offerings from other parts of the region would be much appreciated and any photos would be great.

Cheers, Colin

Still quiet here at Dereham; the only thing new has been a lone golden plover.

It was pleasant walking without the wind whipping across the fields today. Looking at the weather charts, there's a ridge of high pressure stretching from Eastern Europe to the North Sea for the next few days, with the continental coast benefiting from gentle winds and clear skies (gloomier in Britain). Furthermore, with low temperatures extending westwards across continental Europe on Sunday, perhaps we can hope for influxes of winter visitors next week?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back