Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 10th January 2018, 16:14   #1
SanAngelo

AI Bird Sounds Sampled and Mapped

As a practical tool I don't know what to make of this or how to use. It appears to be nothing more, in use, than an exercise in AI or you need a discerning ear, something I apparently don't have.

The UI is nothing other than a sound map with thousands of sound images.

As a UI it's not the best, there's no scrolling bars on the side or bottom but there are + and - symbols to shrink or enlarge the sound map. The map is easiest to navigate if you shrink it to fit within the browser however, it's next to impossible to individually select a sound image.

If you enlarge the map out side it's boundaries it appears the only way of moving it top to bottom is to left click on the map and drag the mouse up or down. The map also shifts left or right as you click inside the map closer to the boarders.

The default map has all the sound images visible. If you click on one image a pop-up appears with the sound, name, and picture of the bird. If you select the image next to it the sound may be from the same bird or from a bird that makes a similar sound (somewhere in their song).

If you select a bird through the search window all the default images are removed except the sound images of the bird selected. This is kinda neat cuz you get to see the song spread out over the map.

To get back to the default map you need to clear the search window.

Here's an article about the AI experiment.

Here's the AI Experiments page with a 3 minute video explaining how it was made.

Here's the Bird Sound map. If you click on About This Project it brings you to the 3 minute video I mentioned above. Clicking on Explore brings you to the usable UI. Clicking on the ' ? ' symbol bring you back to the 3 minute video.

Okay...that's it.
Old Wednesday 10th January 2018, 23:40   #2
SanAngelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAngelo View Post
If you select the image next to it the sound may be from the same bird or from a bird that makes a similar sound (somewhere in their song).
This may be so but it appears the correlation of similar sounds runs vertically as well; top to bottom on the map, above or below the selected bird sound image.
Old Friday 12th January 2018, 02:13   #3
SanAngelo

I've been trying to figure this out, how to make it a viable tool and I got nothin'. As an application it doesn't seem to make sense. It's a good concept but as it stands it doesn't seem complete.

I think we're looking at the foundation of a prototype for song recognition. Something similar to Google Reverse Image Search only with sound. As suggested to me, a future Smartphone app; stick your phone in the air and it'll tell ya what bird you're hearing.

The map was developed using Cornell Guide to Bird Sounds: Essential Set for North America. I think Cornell and Google are on to something and this is a glimpse of their collaboration, nothing more.

I don't know, I could be wrong.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: