• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

B&L original Elite eyecups (1 Viewer)

I just called Nikon service and I was instructed to contacta Nikon dealer to get them to order the parts from a Nikon rep. Holy cow! Sure is a lot of run-around in this industry!

I just read this thread with some interest and I have a couple of thoughts.

First, I don't think it is entirely reasonable to think that any manufacturer has the ability to maintain a stock of obsolete parts large enough to last forever. I'm not saying Bushnell did all they could here but, I think the jump to saying they didn't even ATTEMPT to accomplish this task is a bit excessive. Warehouse space is expensive and storing a lifetimes supply of parts that will seldom if ever be used is just not reasonable.

Second, according to the original posters story, Bushnell did offer to have him send in his binocular for a custom fitting -which he declined. Why? This seems a very legitimate method of addressing the lifetime warranty that doesn't require the company to use up a lot of warehouse space on parts that almost never will be used. Sure, it might take a bit longer than desirable for him to continue using his binocular but, the alternative is not to use it at all - ever.

Nyatt,
I readily admit that I don't know all the details but, it seems to me that Bushnell has offered a reasonable, good-faith option for honoring their warranty. I would suggest you pursue the matter and seek the appropriate "repair or replacement" as stated in the warranty (assuming you are the original buyer and are entitled to the warranty's provisions.) If, after doing this and exhausting all your available avenues, Bushnell simply decides to put you off, then come and tell us the sad story. Until then, you need to follow through and give them the opportunity to make good on their warranty's claims.

I think the jump to saying they didn't even ATTEMPT to accomplish this task is a bit excessive.

My reason for saying this is that Bushnell does not guarantee part availability past five years. That is a ridiculously short time limit, especially for eyecups that are guaranteed to need to be replaced, but probably something after five years. My understanding is that Leica and Zeiss are good about replacement eyecups for even very old models.

Incidentally, Bushnell's warranty covers the product, not the consumer, so it doesn't matter if you are the original purchaser or have your paper work.

--AP

Look, after what I have experienced, 4-6 weeks is probably more like 2-4 months. I have decided to go another route,and try to fit telescope eyepiece eyecups (which I ordered and got the next DAY!from Orion). I trimmed them a bit and they work well! So, now my Elite binos are good-to-go. I was out deerspotting today and they worked at least as well as the originals. Maybe a little goofy looking, but that's ok. I'm not trying for style points. Darren at Bushnell did a heck of a job, in my opinion, trying to find what I wanted.
I may even try these on the custom compacts...

Nikon binocular eyecups

Hi! All. I am new to the forum. I found this while searching for replacement eyecups for my Nikon Action Lookout IV. Because of the posts I found the info I needed to call Nikon parts in California. They say they will get me some out right away, and did even ask for payment up front.

I had tried to order from B&H Photo, but they were unable to get them, and I could not find them elsewhere. I have found forums to be very informative, so thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back