• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Cure for 8x32 SE Tunnel Vision (1 Viewer)

brocknroller

porromaniac
United States
Close my eyes with that tunnel vision
No disguise for that tunnel vision
Ooh, it still gets to me, but it's not new to me
My SE’s tunnel vision used to get the best of me

I’m no “Foreigner” to the issue of tunnel vision with the Nikon 8x32 SE. Even though it’s one of my favorite binoculars and my favorite porro, I keep selling it and buying it, which wasn’t hard or expensive while they were still being made. But now, they are harder to find and often more expensive to buy, plus now some have EPs (or objectives) with balsam separation (which is a whole ‘nuther story).

I sold the 8x32 SEs in part because I wanted upgraded coatings on the latest models, from 500xxx through 505xxx and then the last generation 550xxx with lead-free glass. Unlike the Teutonic manufacturers who blatantly advertise that their alpha’s lenses have the latest and greatest Übermensch coatings ® , Nikon upgrades its coatings without fanfare or proprietary names. You hear about it through the grapevine on BF, CN, or in reviews.

Even then, some users couldn’t tell the difference between the AR coatings of a 501 8x32 SE and 505 or swear there’s no difference, but to the discerning, experienced and obsessive eye, the difference is clear if subtle.

The MAIN reason I kept selling the 8x SE is that I’ve always had a love/hate relationship with the eyecups. They didn’t bother me on the 10x42 or 12x50 SEs, which may seem odd given they have the same eyecups and even the same EPs. However, I used the 10x42s for distance observation such hawk watches and the 12x50s for stargazing, so the IPD remained the same at all times. It’s focusing close to watch songbirds where the problem lies with the 8x SE since I have to reduce the IPD to avoid overlapping cirlces, and the diameter of SE eyecups is nearly 42mm, and the eyecups are long to accommodate the 17.4 mm ER. All this rubbed me the wrong way, or I should say rubbed my high-bridged nose.

I’m not alone in having issues with the SE’s eyecups. The SE EP’s spherical aberration of the exit pupil has been a problem for many users and might have been the reason for the demise of the SE line. But the SE's optics are so superb that owners tried to find ways of avoiding image blackouts by tilting the eyecups against their brow or constructing eyecup modifications such as Tobias Mennle’s:

The E2’s eyecups are the same diameter as the SE’s, but they are shorter to accommodate the E2’s shorter 13.8 mm ER, and the E2 has a wider FOV, so I don’t have to dig my face/nose into the eyecups to see the full FOV.

After a week of rainy and/or cloudy days, it was finally sunny on Sunday (rainy again today), so I took the SE down to the park to watch the ducks and geese.

I was impressed as always with the SE’s sharpness, contrast and vivid colors, but at close range watching ducks and geese, I had to shrink the IPD to avoid overlapping circles and push in the eyecups into my nose, which was uncomfortable, so I put the SEs in my backpack and took out the 8x32 EDG, which provides more comfortable viewing at close range and where the 3-D effect isn’t important. Although I have to say that the 8x32 EDG’s perception of 3-D is quite good for a roof, noticeably better than the 8x42 model. The EDG's FOV is also a bit wider than the SE’s, and unlike the SE, I can see the full FOV with the EDG without digging the eyecups into my nose.

When I got back home, I took the 8 x SE out in the backyard to look at pigeons on top of the Match Factory’s brick chimney and circling turkey vultures above. I turned the eyecups upside down, which feels more comfortable on the nose, though the view is still somewhat tunnelesque, particularly for watching vultures, which swarm in groups of 30 or more, some far above and some close overhead. They swarm every day around 5 o’clock EST (they don’t “spring ahead”).

Seeing the swarm coming my way, I ran inside and took out my rarely used 100th Anniversary 8x30 E2. I could see layer upon layer of vultures riding the thermals. It was an amazing sight.

Then a light bulb went off above my head (I accidentally hit the porch light on the way out the backdoor). But it seemed to help since I had the idea of swapping the SE and E2 eyecups to find out if I could see the full FOV in the SE with the E2 eyecups.

To my great DELIGHT, I could see the entire FOV of the 8x SE right to the crisp field stop without nose discomfort, and to my great SURPRISE with no image blackouts! I could pan the binoculars and move my eyes around the FOV with no problems.

No longer does the 8x SE’s view look tunnelesque but OPEN. I’m sure I must have tried this swap before, since I owned SEs and E2s at the same time, but back then it didn’t work. I got image blackouts. I’m not sure why it works now. Perhaps because my eyes have changed from myopia to presbyopia. Whatever the reason, now swapping the SE and E2 eyecups works for me. Hallelujah!

It only took 20 years to figure out how to see the entire FOV with the 8x SE and not mash up my nose, but better late than never.

I realize this solution isn’t going to work for everyone, but perhaps it will for some, so I thought I’d pass it on.

Now I need to order a couple pairs of E2 eyecups from Nikon.

Photos: Close up, left eyecup is original SE, right one, E2. Wider shot is of the SE with the E2 eycups on, the SE eyecups are on their side below.

Brock

Attachments

• DSCN7858.JPG
    DSCN7858.JPG
    544.9 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN7850.JPG
    DSCN7850.JPG
    486.1 KB · Views: 33
Here's a panacea of sorts for that kind of thing:
View attachment 1501776

Oberwerk SE 8x 32 (left) and 10x 42(right).
I don't know about a "panacea." Me winning million$ in the lottery would be a "panacea." Then I can afford custom-made eyecups for any bin! :)

I might be able to see the entire FOV with the Obie-Wan SEs if width of the eyecups is smaller and shorter than the Nikon SEs. The SE eyecups are wide and deep, but they are made of rubber, so they bend, and I can squeeze them in between my nose to see the full FOV, though it's not comfortable, or as I recently discovered use the shorter E2 eyecups (it does take some care, however, to avoid image blackouts, in making sure I don't tilt the bins while following birds in flight but keep the E2 eyecups flat on my face and turn my head).

The OB SE eyecups look like they are made of hard plastic, so no wiggle room. Could you please measure the OB SE eyecups diameter and post it (in mm)? Both the 8x and 10x if they are different diameters.

I thought Kevin would follow the same formula that Nikon did for saving costs by using the same EPs and prism housings on all three models, but the 12x50s have a different ER listed (14mm usable) than the 8x and 10x (15mm usable), which makes me question that.

I didn't realize the 10x42s were available yet. How do they compare to the 8x32s?

Brock

Tunnel vision? Are you talking about the field of view, or an eye placement creating tunnel vision? I don’t see that problem with mine. I use them without glasses, eyecups fully extended. I have very deep set eyes if that matters.

Tunnel vision? Are you talking about the field of view, or an eye placement creating tunnel vision? I don’t see that problem with mine. I use them without glasses, eyecups fully extended. I have very deep set eyes if that matters.
I might have been exaggerating a bit about the "tunnel vision" for dramatic effect. :) I can see the full FOV but only with nose discomfort.

I don't have very deep set eyes like you, but I have a high-bridged nose. So, wide and deep eyecups like the SE's (or twist-ups on some wide diameter eyecup porros) squish up against my nose, so I can't get close enough to the EPs to see the full FOV, or in the case with the SE's rubber eyecups, I can get close enough to see about 90% of the FOV, but not without discomfort and red craters dug into the bridge of my nose after using the SEs for a day.

On top of that, my eyes are not perfectly symmetrical in respect to their distance from the center of my nose, so one eyecups digs in deeper into my nose than the other.

Switching the SE eyecups for the E2s helps me see the full FOV without discomfort. Since you have deep set eyes, you don't have to worry about the dreaded kidney beaning with the SEs. Some people's faces are flat, so that can be an issue for them, because their eyes get too close to the EP lenses. That's why Steve Moore and Bob (Caesar) tilt their SE eyecups on their upper brow to avoid image blackouts due to spherical aberration of the exit pupils.

Thankfully, for me, the E2 eyecups solves my problem. But I borrowed them from my E2, so I'll have to order a couple other pairs, since the long SE eyecups on the short eye relief E2 does cause true tunnel vision.

Glad to hear you can use your SEs trouble free. Not everybody can, which is a shame, because the views are spectacular.

I wish Nikon had ressurected the SE line for its 100th Anniversary and given them their latest AR coatings and twist-up eyecups like the Obie SE.

The SE's AR coatings are good, better than the pre-2017 E2's, but Nikon latest are the greatest, similar but I think even better (even flatter spectrum and likely higher transmission) than the EDG II coatings (see charts). I wish Allbinos had a pair of these to test. Their E2 light graph charts are out of date.

I notice the difference when comparing the 2017 8x E2 Anniversary Edition and 501 SE. Whites are whiter, with more transparency and vivid colors, and as light levels drop, the image stays brighter with no reddish tinge. But that's being picky, the SE is a classic, and I thank God I'm fortunate enough to own one without balsam separation, and hopefully, they will stay that way!

Enjoy!
Brock

Attachments

• nik8x32se_light graph.jpg
    nik8x32se_light graph.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 9
  • nikon_8x42_edg light graph.jpg
    nikon_8x42_edg light graph.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 9
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back