• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New site with 10x42 binocular reviews (1 Viewer)

This Polish site has been around for some years under it's Polish name 'Optyozne Pl.'
It has more recently had an English translation version. There have been some early criticism to it objectiveness and testing methodologies. I believe 'most' of those criticism's have been addressed.

Chris

Two models have intrigued me:

Olympus-10x42 Magellan EXWP I (roof) - 10th place in the overall ranking, very near the Leica Trinovid 10x42 BN, for 1/3 of the price

Swift -962 Ultra Lite 10x42 (porro) - 13th place in the overall ranking, and 1st place in the Econo ranking

I dont have any experience with 10x42 models, so I cannot comment the ranking list, but anyone who does, is welcome to give is point of view..... How could the 10x42 Monarchs scored 39th in the overall rank, are they really so different(bad) from the 8x42?????

On the Bynolyt Hawk 10x42 BCF mentioned in the test, I can confirm that the narrow field of view of only 88m/1000m, is indeed a narrow field of view and quite disappointing in an overall nice package. I tried them once and the fact that I'm wearing glasses made me decide to forget about ever purchasing a pair.

Best regards,

Ronald

The 8x42 Hawk is expensive too. e380 when the Opticron version can be had for £180. That is a big big difference.

Maybe the Bynolyt Hawk is much better than the Opticron but I can't imagine it is. Looks just like the Opticron/Leupold/Minox varieties of the same bin.

I brought the Olympus 10x42 EXWP-1 based on that review site. They are reasonably impressive binos. Japanese made and good build qualities. Most distortions are well controlled with curvature field from about 80% out. The main negative is at time's noticeable CA. They certainly are not 'alpha' binos but good middle of the road roof binos that are cost effective.
Olympus also do a 8x42 version which I also acquired. The 10x42 version IMHO is superior. The 8x42 has a 6.3 degree FOV and the 10x version a 6.0 degree FOV.
The difference in the Afov - 50 vs. 60 degrees give the 10x version a more rewarding and expansive image.

Chris

Olympus also do a 8x42 version which I also acquired. The 10x42 version IMHO is superior. The 8x42 has a 6.3 degree FOV and the 10x version a 6.0 degree FOV.
The difference in the Afov - 50 vs. 60 degrees give the 10x version a more rewarding and expansive image.

Good to know, I always assumed that that 8x were more view rewarding than the 10x version of the same model, at least regarding Afov, I also prefer that large "expansive" view.
Olympus is not probably very popular among birders, but like you I am very happy with my porro Olympus 8x42 EXPS (now with a new version Pathfinder EXPS I), low priced, selling for $150, betterviewdesired, as a review on them.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back