• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rica Lesser or Common Nighthawk (1 Viewer)

Jim Lundberg

Nighthawk in Guanacaste last week. What do I look for to ID?

Thank you, Jim

Attachments

• IMG_3494.jpg
    IMG_3494.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_3496.jpg
    IMG_3496.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3501.jpg
    IMG_3501.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_3516.jpg
    IMG_3516.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 105
I'd say is a Lesser. The wings tips seem to fall shorter than tail tip but it's hard to be sure as the bird in the 1st image (the clearer one on this tail vs wing tip) looks to be about to open its wings. Coverts design also looks better for Lesser to me. Difficult pair!

It is a Lesser Nighthawk. In addition to the shorter wings and pattern on the wings pointed out by Motmot, notice the buff markings on the primaries.

Here is a good synopsis of features to separate the two.

On male Commons the white primary spot is staggered on the closed wing, while it is more of a patch in Lessers. This is a female, but you can still see the buff-coloured primary spot which is shaped like that of a male Lesser. However, I don't know if this feature is valid for females as well as males.

Tom

Where precisely was this? I had a largeish flock of what I id'ed as lesser fly over just after sunset at Rancho Curabande.

Niels

All, thank you for the ID info.

Niels, the nighthawk was in trees alongside the beach near the Marriott Guanacaste.

Jim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back