• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Myiarchus in Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

akjackson1

Needing some help on this Myiarchus sp. in Guanacaste, Costa Rica from this week. The picture and recording are of the same individual. It was fiercely responding to Nutting's playback, but I'm not certain the recording is necessarily a good match for Nutting's, but I'm not real sure. Great-crested and Brown-crested are both possible there as well.

Picture:

Recording:

Last edited:
Going by the photo I was thinking Ash-throated Flycatcher but I don't think that species extends as far south as Guanacaste.

This looks good for a Nutting's to me. Relatively short bill. The wing edging shows a nice gradation from red through yellow. The recording also looks very good for Nutting's. Compare to these recordings: Nutting's Flycatcher - Myiarchus nuttingi - Media Search - Macaulay Library and eBird
Also fairly dusky auriculars. Against this, the wing bars are quite bright and pronounced. It's either Nutting's or Brown-crested. My limited experience is that the latter is more inland in Western Costa Rica.
Yeah Costa Rica doesn't have any Ash-throated records on eBird at all.
Well I'm not sure why, perhaps my record was suppressed although I was never asked about it. I recorded it in Rincon de la Vieja. Vallely and Dyer's map shows it extending into W CR, Garrigues & Dean mention 2 records, most recent 2001.

[Edit: looking at my notes I said "verified by call". It's possible I photo'd the bird too]

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back