• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hoopoe in North Yorkshire (1 Viewer)

Geoff Pain

Rural Member
An article in the local rag caught my attention today,someone had looked out of their bedroom window one morning to find a Hoopoe on the lawn.The location was the village of Eldroth about 5 minutes away from where I live.What it didn't say was when the bird was seen or its possible location.Drat I though another good bird missed.Then this evening I got a phone call from a birding friend to say that the bird was still there but a bit elusive,he also told me where to look.Well I didn't need telling twice,off I sped in the car to the location.I parked up and had a walk down the road,nobody else about,to view the fields where it had been seen,but no sign.As I walked back past a garden the bird flew up over the wall and across the field landing in a tree where I was able to study it.It seemed very flighty and after a few minutes flew off back down the road and disappeared behind a house.I walked back down the road to see if I could relocate it but as soon as I came into view it flew back in the direction from which it had come.I couldn't relocate it so decided to leave it alone,satisfied with the views that I had achieved.Thats only the second one I've see,the first being at Holme in Norfolk.

Saw the Colyford bird but this morning we were told in the Portland Obs of a Hoopoe not far from us and went for it in someone's back garden. Sadly it had departed so soon.

Well done, Geoff. They're always nice to see. I've always found spring Hoopoes to be shy and flighty, but autumn ones to be quite confiding. Don't know whether that's normal or just luck of the draw. The latter, I suspect.

Jason

The one by me at the moment is either.... 10 feet away and confiding as anything.. or flying about a 1 mile square block of fields!

Here's a couple of images of the Eldroth Hoopoe.

Cheers, Bill.

Attachments

• Hoopoe300x350pix.jpg
    Hoopoe300x350pix.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 145
  • HoopoeB355x350pix.jpg
    HoopoeB355x350pix.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 117
Hi geoff

Managed to see this bird on sat and it was just as flighty then.

Strangely enough the garden in which I saw it had nest boxes up .......eeerrmmm what size hole required?

A real gem in a lovely spot namely Eldroth.

Sleeper said:
Hi geoff

Managed to see this bird on sat and it was just as flighty then.

Strangely enough the garden in which I saw it had nest boxes up .......eeerrmmm what size hole required?

A real gem in a lovely spot namely Eldroth.

Don't forget it takes two to tango ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back