• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phylloscopus I.D Request (1 Viewer)

I have no idea but I'm pretty sure its not a species that regularly occurs in Europe. It looks to me most like a Wilow Warbler but those green/yellow margins to flight feathers and retrices are just wrong. PP looks a bit short too.

Regardless of my little opinion - that's one Mother of a record! Hope it gets identified.

Hello

As Simon said, there is nothing wrong with an over light exposed Willow Warbler, some wing feathers lost so the fringes appeard broad. IMO

Omar

What's wrong for a WW?

Yes Valery very good answer accredula Willow Warbler is an option, IMO it gives the jizz of an Arctic Warbler but not with classic features, no wing bar, however wing bar is very thin in Artcic and could be worn off no distinct dark bill tip either.
However Arctic Warbler breeds in Alaska and I would ssume most would winter in South East Asia it would appear they have spread to Alaska from Asia.
A smaller number of birds would use reverse migrantion so I would go for Arctic Warbler although not a classic example.

Regards, John

I'm confident I can see a wing-bar. I think those very pale tips on the visible greater coverts will form a nice whitish bar when moult is completed (if actually moulting...) . That would eliminate some candidates. Jane's suggestion sounds quite good to me.

Last edited:
Using photographic morphometics there is a good case to be made for Greenish over Willow.... (Spring birds only - bill length is more variable in autumn)

If this bird isn't heard, or seen again after it moults I'll measure enough to be sure (and green/two barred Greenish)

Attachments

• Bermuda phyllosc.png
    Bermuda phyllosc.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 62
Got to say when I first saw these photo's my gut reaction was Greenish complex.... but nothing solid to back that up:-O Got to say though having trouble with a few features for Greenish though. Although as Jane says looks quite short winged for Willow etc? Just shows sometimes field views cannot be beaten... mind you seeing the state of it it could be 'owt really;)

Pretty good bit of vagrancy whatever it is!

ATB

Last edited:
and with a 3 hastily chucked in Arctic Warblers.... it really isn't one! Unless its moulting :)

Attachments

• Bermuda phyllosc.png
    Bermuda phyllosc.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
I just commented about this in BF's FB;

"For me this is Greenish Warbler. Super is too broad and long for WW, leg color is in favor of Greenish, eye-stripe is long, dark and obvious, there seems to be a hint of gc wingbar left and last but not least it has fairly clearly streaked ear coverts. I'd like to see Arctic with stronger bill and darker lower mandible, and super reaching bill base."

Have to admit that I know next to nothing about the recently splitted Arctic Warblers but I've heard they're probably IDable only by voices.

Its all going to be speculation, but I've have thought that Bermuda was closer to W Europe (as a departure point for a lost Phyllosc, than NE Siberia as well as being in keeping with the direction they are supposed be going. As a hopelessly lost warbler flies, its in the same sort of direction as the Azores (from Europe) where there is a track record of lost Phyllosc records Chiffchaff (87) Willow warbler (35) Yellow-browed Warbler(1). Penty of YBW records coming from the Canaries too.

Attachments

• Bermuda phyllosc.jpg
    Bermuda phyllosc.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Distance from the Azores to Morocco is 1,129 miles with islands inbetween of Madeira and the Canary islands.
Distance of Azores to Bermuda is 2,225 https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=d...hannel=sb&gws_rd=cr&ei=1PkJU5fHJ6uM7AbK6IDYBA
Mostly a conveyer of SW Winds especially in Autumn as East Coast birders will tell you.
How many records of Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Yellow-browed Warbler for the Eastern sea board of America, Carribean, Bermuda.

Last edited:
Obviously, a record of any Phylloscopus from Bermuda is a highly significant record and a first record for the island.
Quote from Birding frontiers

A Phylloscopus travelling over land from NE Siberia can feed whereas a Phyloscopus travelling over water 2,225 miles from the Azores to Bermuda cannot feed, unless on a boat or ship.

A Phylloscopus travelling over land from NE Siberia can feed whereas a Phyloscopus travelling over water 2,225 miles from the Azores to Bermuda cannot feed, unless on a boat or ship.

European shipping heading to the Panama Canal must pass, very roughly, Bermuda ...ship assistance a more likely route?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back