• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon wader i.d please πŸ™ (2 Viewers)

Thanks Andrew, it just looked different to the other greenshank I was looking at which had lighter green legs

it just looked different to the other greenshank
The bill is distinctly odd for a greenshank: narrow at the base and fine-tipped - as well as straight. Though it seems insufficiently needle-like and delicate for marsh sandpiper, and the bird lacks a decent supercilium.

Looks very much like a Greenshank to me, albeit with an aberrant bill; perhaps damaged in the past? You do see birds now and again with very oddly-shaped bills for various reasons.
The 'dark' legs can be explained by lighting, mud [Greenshanks will happily wade belly-deep, and muddy water can alter apparent leg colour in interesting ways], or even individual variation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back