• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A South African Fungus (1 Viewer)

Dave Kennedy

This was photographed recently on the northern Kwa-Zulu Natal coast at Cape Vidal. Any comments on identity would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_2751.JPG
    IMG_2751.JPG
    223.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2752.JPG
    IMG_2752.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2753.JPG
    IMG_2753.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2754.JPG
    IMG_2754.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2755.JPG
    IMG_2755.JPG
    247.4 KB · Views: 25
Hi Dave,

I have absolutely no idea what your (very beautiful) fungus is - Though the strongly plicate cap and white gills reminds me of some of the more tropical Marasmius species I have seen photos of dotted around the web.

Sorry I can't be of more help, and thanks for sharing your photo!

Nick

Hi Dave,

I have absolutely no idea what your (very beautiful) fungus is - Though the strongly plicate cap and white gills reminds me of some of the more tropical Marasmius species I have seen photos of dotted around the web.

Sorry I can't be of more help, and thanks for sharing your photo!

Nick

Nick, thank you. I agree with your Marasmius thoughts, but my South African literature features nothing quite like this one. I can find nothing with such a strongly plicated cap.That is why I posted the pictures on Birdforum in the hope that someone with more knowledge than me might recognise it.
The photograph was taken by my son, who was on holiday with his family at Cape Vidal. He couldn't identify it, sent it on to me, and the rest you know.
Many thanks for your contribution.
Best wishes,
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back