• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Down Side To Early Summer (1 Viewer)

RKell1

Landrover, it does exactly what it says on the tin
This year has been a good one so far for the Garden. I've seen the young Blackies leaving the nest, 3 Young Sparrows bathing in the sunlight waiting to be fed and late yesterday evening I caught a glimpse of young Dunnock in a shurb in my Garden. I didn't attempt to approach as the parents were close by waiting with food to feed. Enough to lift the heart!.
Well yes and no..Coming to work this morning a young Blackie flew out from a the hedgerow and clipped the front wing. I stopped, but it was too badly injured, so I had to do the decent thing. Further on I braked hard as 2 Goldfinches sat on the road flying off at the last minute, one was a juv..Over the last few weeks I've seen young rabbits constantly dice with death as they run along the road confused and a general rise in sightings of dead woodpigeons/corvids/foxes on the roads.
It really brings home the challenges facing wildlife as it focuses on getting food for it's young or, as it learns the new hazards it has to face up to to survive in what can be a very harsh world.
Apologies to everyone for sounding so depressing, it is after all as one great Native American, (Black Elk), called it, part of the great circle of life.

Hi Ray,

I have seen several birds flying low across roads and thought how lucky they have been to escape oncoming cars, Woodpigeons and Blackbirds seem to be the main dare devils. Sorry to hear of the demise of the Blackbird....it is always sad to see and hear of such accidents.

I am sure all those youngsters in your garden will cheer you, great to hear of them especially the Sparrows who sadly seem to be very few and far between in my area these last few months.

Take care Ray.

Hi Ray,

Only seen 1 juvenile Blackie in the garden so far. Looked a bit lost stood ankle deep in my smallest bird bath. Parents weren't far away. Usually by the end of May I am inundated with juvenile Starlings and House Sparrows. Looking forward to it. Sorry about your Blackie.

Too bad about the Blackie Ray, but don't be upset about it. It's a good thing you got Sparrows dude! Two have returned to my garden after a Three year absence so it's not all bad news I guess!

there is a lot of attrition out there Ray i hope theres a lot more around you making it ok .

Well I think these 3 will do just nicely, fingers crossed ;)

Attachments

• Sparrows.JPG
    Sparrows.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 17
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back