• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (4 Viewers)

Purple Heron, Morden

Pretty sure i've just seen a Purple Heron at Morden Bog at about Midday today , I was up on the high point of the heath looking towards Decoy Pond, when from above and behind I heard a loud call that resembled a Raven, but wasn't quite right. I looked up and saw a Heron flying above me about 40ft up. The call certainly wasn't a Grey Heron call, got the bins on it it appeared brown underneath and also a browny colour above, It also didn't have the two tone colour of a grey heron. I fired off a few shots in the gloomy drizzle and continued to watch the bird fly over the Decoy Pond it then turned and started to descend , it came down in the dense reeds in the real bog area, I made my way there but after 2 hours couldn't relocate it.

I am 95% confident it was a PH, and would welcome any comments , I will also put the pics on the Identification thread.

Attachments

• Purple.jpg
    Purple.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 101
  • purple2.jpg
    purple2.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 85
  • purple 3.jpg
    purple 3.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 80
Longham lakes

Went to the lake today, for five minutes. First time in weeks. Bloody freezing. Then came home again. Highlight was actually being out of the house.
Chris

Morden Bog

Lots of Chiffs and a couple of Willow Warblers at Morden Bog this moning, a single Peregrine and a young Sika Stag.

Attachments

• chiffchaff1.jpg
    chiffchaff1.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 37
  • chiffchaff2.jpg
    chiffchaff2.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 45
  • sika.jpg
    sika.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 39
  • sika3.jpg
    sika3.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 43
1st twilight visit to Hatch Pond this evening, no Bitterns seen. Watched 300+ Pied Wagtails go to roost in the reeds, being disturbed a couple of times by a Sparrowhawk. Also 1 Shoveler tonight.

I really need to get out to Hatchpond soon. Saw some Brent Geese in Holes Bay yesterday (by the ASDA).
Just so you know, Catching the Bug is all about the birds of Poole harbour. Take a look for it, if you PM me I might be able to sort out a bit of a Birdforum discount for you.

Longham lakes

My first real visit for several weeks brought the sickening sight of a mute swan crashing into the powerlines and falling to earth, apparently dead. Couldn't get to see where it landed as health not really up to scrambling over fields.
Can't understand why the power company hasn't put ball markers on the lines to make them more visible.
Two pochard on the small lake and a late hobby. No small migrants at all.
Chris

Middlebere

A Marsh Harrier hunting the channel and a Black Redstart on the roof of the cottages were the best birds today.

Attachments

• blackred.jpg
    blackred.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 42
Morden

This morning a Marsh Harrier hunting low around Decoy pond and a lone Lapwing in marshy area at top of Decoy pond.

Attachments

• mh.jpg
    mh.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 50
  • mh1.jpg
    mh1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Lovely day at Longham Lakes today, even if I did only manage about 30 minutes. Highlight was this beautiful red admiral - anyone tell me if the blue dots means it's a male?

Attachments

• redad.jpg
    redad.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 57
When I searched for other red admiral pictures on the interweb there were lots without the blue markings? Is it just chance which butterfly gets them?

Hi Chris

Good to see you are getting out and about. Male and female are very similar in Red Admiral. I suspect those that are not showing the blue are worn adults. I get Purple Hairstreak in the garden and they look quite brown on occasions when worn. Virtually no sign of the Purple colouring at all.

Ray

Hi Chris

Good to see you are getting out and about. Male and female are very similar in Red Admiral. I suspect those that are not showing the blue are worn adults. I get Purple Hairstreak in the garden and they look quite brown on occasions when worn. Virtually no sign of the Purple colouring at all.

Ray

Thanks Ray,
I know small copper have a blue spotted race/aberration.
Chris

Hengistbury this morning, 1 Yellow Browed Warbler, 2 Raven, 1 Peregrine were the most notable sightings.

Hatch Pond, 1st sighting of this winters Bitterns with 1 seen at 1633 when it jumped out of the reeds and sat half way up. It stayed there until I left at 1650.

Great Grey Shrike

The Great Grey Shrike has returned to Morden Bog after not appearing last winter, watched it today for about an hour mainly in the area behind the Decoy Pond. It was perching at the top of the small pines and larger Gorse bushes. At one point it caught what appeared to be a Wren.

Record shots attached.

Attachments

• ggs.jpg
    ggs.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 51
  • ggs1.jpg
    ggs1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 49
  • ggs2.jpg
    ggs2.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 55
  • ggs3.jpg