• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (15 Viewers)

Hatch Pond

Brief visit to Hatch Pond earlier this afternoon, good increase in Tufted Duck numbers and the first Pochard of the Winter, also a couple of Common Gull in with the BH Gulls. The late Juvenile GC Grebe is still developing well.

Attachments

• grebe.jpg
    grebe.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 40
  • grebe1.jpg
    grebe1.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 46
Often read this thread to see what I am missing now I'm living and working in London. Got a week off at the start of December and want to cram as much Dorset birding in as I can.

Would someone be able to share directions to Morden Bog and the Decoy Pond. I know it's part of Wareham Forest but my map skills are failing to find exactly the right area.

Any help much appreciated and keep up the reports!

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=390500&Y=92500&ar=N&z=120

For Morden park lake park at Sherford Bridge and walk along the track until you see a path going off right. Can be a bit hard to find - maybe pooleparrot will be able to give more precise directions.
The Decoy Pond is a bit further south. Either walk across the heath or drive and park on the roadside - there is a gateway with a couple of spaces and cross the field to get on the heath.
good luck
Chris

Morden Bog

Woodlarks @ Morden Bog

Travelling from Sandford roundabout, go past Lawson Clump parking area, halfway between Lawson Clump and Sherford Bridge parking area there is a small pull-in on the Bog side of the road. Park there, climb over the large metal gate cross the narrow field and then climb over the 2nd wooden farm gate. If you follow the main path past the Log Stack(I've seen 1 feeding around the Log Stack and on another occassion in farm field) straight towards the decoy pond you are in prime Woodlark country. About 150-200 yards along the path ,if you look to the right there are 2 very prominent dead trees in the middle of the heath , these often have calling Cuckoos in. These 2 trees are also popular with the woodlark especially in the evening. This area of the heath(from the wooden gate to the dead trees) is the best area for Woodlark(IMHO), look for them feeding along the paths or more likely sat atop any of the trees around.

The above are directions fom last year.As per Scary Canaries "streetmap" the road is the B3075, the Bog Side of the Road as mentioned above is the Left side of the road, this parking area is best for direct access to the Decoy Pond. If the GG Shrike is still around it generally favours the heathland behind the Decoy Pond

Ian

I read on the daily RBA report that Waxwings were reported in 48 counties of the British Isles, I haven't heard of any in Dorset and seen none reported on the DBC website. Why are they missing us? Or am I just missing the reports? I also see them being reported from Somerset, Hants, Devon and Conwall so they are near.

Ian

Morden/Hatch Pond

No GG Shrike at Morden this morning in the persistent rain, don't blame it really better weather for ducks !! A couple of Crossbill the best of what was around.

Hatch Pond this afternoon in the sun, still the Bittern are elusive, only one seen so far back on November 6th. A couple of Snipe , Little Grebe and Pochard and a close encounter with a sunning Cormorant were noteworthy.

Attachments

• corm.jpg
    corm.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 55
  • corm1.jpg
    corm1.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 55
Longham lake this afternoon

14 little egret, 40 teal in two flocks, 12 wigeon, 2 little grebes plus lots of tufted and coots. More than 50 cormorants feeding on the big lake. One roe deer. I didn't see the goldeneye, but it might have been on the floods.
Chris

Hi, thought I'd start posting a few sightings from The Swannery at Abbotsbury. My intention is to move my current Swannery Sightings blog to Birdforum but I need to rack up a few posts first so here goes...

Didn't have much time to bird today due to work commitments but checked the Pochard/Tufty flock this am and still at least 7 Scaup still plus a 1st winter Common Scoter. There are good numbers of the commoner dabblers but couldn't find anything unusual amongst them. Very few waders at the mo but new in today was a Black-tailed Godwit with the Lapwing. I'll hopefully have more time tomorrow, keep you posted...

Steve.

Hi, thought I'd start posting a few sightings from The Swannery at Abbotsbury. My intention is to move my current Swannery Sightings blog to Birdforum but I need to rack up a few posts first so here goes...
Steve.

Welcome to the thread Steve. Look forward to your sightings along with Scary's and Parrot's.

Am hoping the waxwings will show up in Dorset soon en masse.

@lngbrder888:
In addition to Pooleparrots directions, here's a link showing the decoy pond on an OS style map. doesnt seem to show the track south of the pond from the pull in on the road westwards but it is there.
Decoy pond

Shell Bay/Studland

Shell Bay produced 2 distant Black Necked Grebe and a small flock of Sanderling. Off of Studland Heath on the inside of the habour were a few Brent Geese, a couple of small groups of Red Breasted Mergansers and 3 Goldeneye. There was also a nice flock of 6 Bullfinch in the trees by Shell Bay car park.

Attachments

• sandy.jpg
    sandy.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 45
  • rbm.jpg
    rbm.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 55
  • sandy1.jpg
    sandy1.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 46
Great find as Lorne Bissell found a kittiwake at Longham lakes today. I dipped it, but good numbers of black-headed gulls present, 14 little egrets, and 80+ teal and 40+ wigeon.
Hopefully kittiwake will return.
Chris

Today At Abbotsbury Swannery

Much as yesterday... the 7 Scaup and Common Scoter still among the commoner duck, 40+ Med Gulls (still a good count this far up The Fleet), the regular male Marsh Harrier, no sign of yesterday's Blackwit but a single Dunlin was new in and best of the passerines were two flyover (presumed Lesser) Redpolls.

Steve.

Great white egret

at Stanpit, Christchurch at 9 am today. Also a male Marsh harrier at 8 and a Black redstart on the Sandspit at 10-30.

Attachments

• EFB4BAFA-821E-434A-B227-65A556741897.jpg
    EFB4BAFA-821E-434A-B227-65A556741897.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 58
Longham lakes today

Not many gulls and no sign of yesterdays kittiwake. Duck numbers building up and 6 shoveler were new (for me) today. Still 14 little egrets. Not much else and bitter wind.
Keep smiling!
Chris

Wildfowl highlights were a Long-tailed Duck (the third this autumn/winter but just possibly all the same bird?), 2 Goosander west and the 1st w Common Scoter still but I could only find 4 Scaup among the several hundred Pochard and Tufted Duck and a few R-b Mergansers. Plenty of the commoner dabblers too. The regular male Marsh Harrier was seen again putting to flight 25+ Snipe and 100+ Lapwing, while in the withybeds still plent of Goldcrests and several Chiffchaffs.

Steve.

There are now 2 Long-tailed Ducks present but very distant & slightly east of swannery embayment. Other wildfowl highlights were at least 5 Scaup & 3 Goldeneye.

Steve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back